Sign in with
Your question

MSI K8N Diamond Plus Network Issue

Last response: in Networking
June 17, 2006 7:41:37 AM

I have a cable modem attached to a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router, of which one port is plugged into my MSI K8N Diamond Plus onboard LAN connection.

For the past three months I was using Windows XP-64 without a problem with this setup. I've now reformatted and installed Windows XP-32 and the following happens:

Whenever I start my PC, the network icon (in the bottom right of the Windows screen) shows a red cross through it. Another network icon contains a yellow exclamation mark, indicating problems connecting to the router (I assume). So I have to power down the router for 10 seconds and then power it up again. I can now connect to the net. Hote that the first "red-coss network icon" is always on, even when accessing the net now.

Installed network drivers are Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet Controller and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

My network drivers are up to date, so what else should I check, so that I don't have to do the power-down router routine every day?

Thanks in advance.
June 20, 2006 10:02:50 PM

Do you get a connection if you just unplug/replug the network cable? Or is it necissary to reset the router every time?
If you have to reset the router I'd be more inclined to blame that instead of your motherboard. Especially because it is a belkin. The fact it ever worked at all shocks me, lol.

Would you be able to try a different router or take the computer to a friends house or something to see if it behaves in the same mannar on a different network? That would tell you for sure if it is your motherboard or router.
June 20, 2006 10:32:01 PM

I can't help with the 'connecting' issue... but...
You have both the Marvell and the nVidia LANs enabled in the bios.... thats why both show the icon. The one with the red X is the one you are not using.
You might try swapping your cable into the unused LAN and see if it connects better.
Or, if you don't want to see the un-used icon, disable that LAN in the bios.

I have the same board. Had a different, unrelated issue recently..... but I use an add-in ethernet card... and have both onboard LAN connectors disabled. So I see just the one I have added as an icon.
June 27, 2006 3:39:02 AM

Thanks for the tips. In the end I decided that my BELKIN router may need replacing. I've now bought a NETGEAR router (easy installation) and no more problems.

However, once I decide to replace something, I like to dissect it. So I opened up the BELKIN router (trashed the plastic case ... but was destined for the bin anyway) and had a look at the PC board.

One guess what I immediately spotted (and probably the source of the intermitant problem) ... a leaking capacitor! It was a typical "no-name brand called Gloria". Been a lot in the news lately about no-name capacitors ... here is another example.
!