forgot win2000 password

Hi, I have a computer with Seagate HD running on Win2000 system. I have 3
logic disk on the same harddrive, with C as the system drive and D and E to
store document files. Recently I decide to put on Admin password but later
on couldn't remember the password. The harddrive is formated as NTFS so I
can not get access to the SAM file from DOS. I also tried several 3rd party
software such as "ERD commander", "windows XP-2000-NT Key" and 5 other
things. The strange thing is that they can not see my hard drive at all.

I tried to use the original Windows 2000 CD to reinstall the operation
system, but it recognize the three harddrives as "unformatted".

Now my question is: if I format C drive and reinstall the Windows2000, will
I lose the data on the D and E drive? It is really important that I won't
lose the data on those two drive.

Thank you very much.
7 answers Last reply
More about forgot win2000 password

    Sorry, Buddy:

    I did read those and tried almost all of them, but something in my harddrive
    didn't let me do it.

    Now my question is: Can I safely format C drive and reinstall Win2000
    without having to lose my data on D and E drive(they are logic partition from
    the same physical hard drive)?

    Thank you for your input.

    Yes that will work... but remember that applications that are on those
    drives will not work because of the DLLs and registry settings that are in
    windows.

    Try one of the LINUX password hacks again before you jump into this.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "sonia" <sonia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Buddy:
    >
    > I did read those and tried almost all of them, but something in my
    > harddrive
    > didn't let me do it.
    >
    > Now my question is: Can I safely format C drive and reinstall Win2000
    > without having to lose my data on D and E drive(they are logic partition
    > from
    > the same physical hard drive)?
    >
    > Thank you for your input.

    "sonia" <sonia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Buddy:
    >
    > I did read those and tried almost all of them, but something in my
    harddrive
    > didn't let me do it.
    >
    > Now my question is: Can I safely format C drive and reinstall Win2000
    > without having to lose my data on D and E drive(they are logic partition
    from
    > the same physical hard drive)?
    >
    > Thank you for your input.

    Crouchie's link http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    works each and every time. No need to re-install Win2000. However,
    there is an urgent need to plan ahead: Create a second admin account,
    same as you have a second set of car keys, and lock its password
    away in a safe place.

    Hi All

    Twice we have used this

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    But each time we use this third party application for resetting the pwd it
    modifies the SAM database and the operating system becomes unstable and has
    blue screen. A fix is yet be seen.

    Regards

    Ramki

    "Ramki" <Ramki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Twice we have used this
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >
    > But each time we use this third party application for resetting the pwd it
    > modifies the SAM database and the operating system becomes unstable and
    has
    > blue screen. A fix is yet be seen.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ramki

    Perhaps your systems were unstable to start with. The nordahl
    boot disk has an excellent reputation in the industry.

    I agree. It does have an excellent reputation

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Hard Drives Windows