CORE cpu over heating

felex

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
ive been stuck on this problem for about a month or so now... and ive narrowed it down to my core overheating, but ONLY when im trying to play a game or reformat. my core on ave. is about 60 - 70C
but as soon as i boot up a game or soemthign it shoots up to the 100-110C[/code]

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Holy jeesh that's bad.

First thoughts:

Take off the heatsink, wipe it clean with isopropyl alcohol, dry it off, use Artic Silver 5. Put a dot on the CPU and spread it around with a plastic bag or coffee filter. If you have a dual core read about proper thermal grease placement. Spread properly. Re-seat your heatsink fan and hope for the best immediately. Beyond this for this step, make sure your fans are running.

Another check, make sure you've got adequate ventilation for your rig. For the interim if the above doesn't work, point a box fan or two right at your rig with the case open and turn them on high.

Is the ambient temperature a factor? Is the case inside of a giant metal box that collects a lot of heat? Open a window. If it's uncomfortably hot for you, it won't help your temps.

Hope some of that helps.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
hmm, 100-110C under load? last i checked ANY cpu will be toast after 80-90. Literally smoking. so either you have faulty sensors or your full of $hit.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, that's pretty bad. You can make boiling water with that temps! Apply thin uniform amount of thermal paste and remount the cpu cooler. Better yet get a better cooler.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
ive been stuck on this problem for about a month or so now... and ive narrowed it down to my core overheating, but ONLY when im trying to play a game or reformat. my core on ave. is about 60 - 70C
but as soon as i boot up a game or soemthign it shoots up to the 100-110C[/code]
You hav'nt got one off those lousy Intel stock fans have you?

Visually 8O check back of MB and see if HSF mountings are correctly locked.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
lol u guys are talking to ghosts... who's placing a bet he will come back?

at this stage his CPU probably already burnt to hell according to his information. The game he played probably PONG or PACMAN and he got a modern game for christmas and all of the sudden SMOKE !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hi, guys.

I need some help.

For Xmas I got this really wild computer as a gift from some guy named G. Baltar. When I open up the case the CPU is called a Kobol 2000 and then there's some weird characters and at the bottom it says: Made In New Caprica. It had a wireless antenna on a BSG card and when I activated it there was this biga$$ sonic boom over my house and this knockout 6 foot tall blonde bombshell in this slinky dress walked in with this 8 foot tall shiny chrome toaster dude. They thanked me for activating the homing beacon that allowed something called Cylons to find Earth without needing Jupiter's Eye. Now, my question is, the blonde wants to take me to a beach and bang my ba!!s off... should I take along some Arctic Silver?

:lol: