Installing SP4

I'm trying to install SP4 and can't get past the inspecting my computer
screen. Every time I try the update, I get the message that an error has
occured. Nothing about what the error is or why the update failed. I have
closed all the background running tasks and still get that message. Antone
have any ideas about how I can get the update to install?
Thanks for your help.

Try installing from a safe mode boot.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nad" wrote:
| I'm trying to install SP4 and can't get past the inspecting my computer
| screen. Every time I try the update, I get the message that an error has
| occured. Nothing about what the error is or why the update failed. I have
| closed all the background running tasks and still get that message. Antone
| have any ideas about how I can get the update to install?
| Thanks for your help.

I tried a safe mode install and get the same message, I.m really puzzled
about this one.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try installing from a safe mode boot.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | I'm trying to install SP4 and can't get past the inspecting my computer
> | screen. Every time I try the update, I get the message that an error has
> | occured. Nothing about what the error is or why the update failed. I have
> | closed all the background running tasks and still get that message. Antone
> | have any ideas about how I can get the update to install?
> | Thanks for your help.

Look for the file %systemroot%\Svcpack.log and check for errors.

--

"Nad" wrote:
|I tried a safe mode install and get the same message, I.m really puzzled
| about this one.

I found the file and have included it here for you to look at.

Service Pack started with following command line: /Z
***
DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
***
IncludeDirectoryIdFromInfSection: No DirId found for: DontRemoveOnUninst.DirId
***
ref tag c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\sp3.cab does not exist
***
ref tag c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\wms4.cab does not exist
***
ref tag c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\wms41.cab does not exist
***
ref tag c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\ins.cab does not exist
***
ref tag c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\ins1.cab does not exist
***
AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
***
DoInstallation:SetupOpenInfFile for OldUninstallInf file
c:\winnt\$ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.inf not found: 0x3
***
CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$
***
AnalyzePhaseOne: used 84782 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseTwo used 953 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseTwo used 0 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 937 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 0 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 15 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 15 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 172 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 47 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 250 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 234 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 188 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 141 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 15 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 32 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 16 ticks
***
ScanReferenceDirectory used 31 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 594 ticks
***
ScanReferenceCabinet used 625 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseFive used 3656 ticks
***
AnalyzePhaseSix used 14141 ticks
***
AnalyzeComponents used 103532 ticks
***
Downloading 166 files
***
bPatchMode = TRUE
***
Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 105547 ticks
***
Num Ticks for invent : 105547
***
Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space = 52599308288 bytes
***
Allocation size of drive D: is 4096 bytes, free space = 66648125440 bytes
***
Drive C: free 50162MB req: 0MB w/uninstall 191MB
***
Drive D: free 63560MB req: 55MB w/uninstall 65MB
***
Download complete
***
Num Ticks for download : 19687
***
Cabinet build used 12422 ticks
***
Cabinet build used 2469 ticks
***
Cabinet build used 2172 ticks
***
CabinetBuild complete
***
Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 17063
***
Starting process: msiinst.exe /delayrebootq
**
Working directory: C:\WINNT\system32\msiinst.tmp
**
Return Code = 18
***
DoInstallation:RunInfProcesses Failed
***
Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: An error in updating your system
has occurred.
***
VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\oem43.cat
***
An error in updating your system has occurred.
***
Message displayed to the user: An error in updating your system has occurred.
***
User Input: OK
***
I hope you can make sence from this

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Look for the file %systemroot%\Svcpack.log and check for errors.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> |I tried a safe mode install and get the same message, I.m really puzzled
> | about this one.

One of these may help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822217
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829427
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q824391
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6439.htm
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5563.htm

--

"Nad" wrote:
> [...]
| ***
| Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 17063
| ***
| Starting process: msiinst.exe /delayrebootq
| **
| Working directory: C:\WINNT\system32\msiinst.tmp
| **
| Return Code = 18
| ***
| DoInstallation:RunInfProcesses Failed
| ***
| Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: An error in updating your
system
| has occurred.
| ***
| VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\oem43.cat
| ***
| An error in updating your system has occurred.
| ***
| Message displayed to the user: An error in updating your system has

Well I looked at them all and nothing worked. I treid to install the new
InsMsiW.exe and got the error windoe again. I tried the SP4 install again and
still got the error window. any other ideas??

Thanks for your help

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
> | ***
> | Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 17063
> | ***
> | Starting process: msiinst.exe /delayrebootq
> | **
> | Working directory: C:\WINNT\system32\msiinst.tmp
> | **
> | Return Code = 18
> | ***
> | DoInstallation:RunInfProcesses Failed
> | ***
> | Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: An error in updating your
> system
> | has occurred.
> | ***
> | VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\oem43.cat
> | ***
> | An error in updating your system has occurred.
> | ***
> | Message displayed to the user: An error in updating your system has

You might check Event Viewer for errors. You'll need to get past the windows
installer problem.

--

"Nad" wrote:
| Well I looked at them all and nothing worked. I treid to install the new
| InsMsiW.exe and got the error windoe again. I tried the SP4 install again
and
| still got the error window. any other ideas??
|
| Thanks for your help

Well I looked at the event viewer and the installer is the issue. Here is
what it's telling me:

Detection of product'(91110409-6000=11d3-8cfe-0150048383c9)', feature
'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component
'(e6bfd503-3a35-4b78-bab5-9570eddef81c)'
source is Msinstaller

Any idea what all that means??

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You might check Event Viewer for errors. You'll need to get past the windows
> installer problem.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | Well I looked at them all and nothing worked. I treid to install the new
> | InsMsiW.exe and got the error windoe again. I tried the SP4 install again
> and
> | still got the error window. any other ideas??
> |
> | Thanks for your help

Maybe this one. You are logged on as local administrator correct?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319624

--

"Nad" wrote:
| Well I looked at the event viewer and the installer is the issue. Here is
| what it's telling me:
|
| Detection of product'(91110409-6000=11d3-8cfe-0150048383c9)', feature
| 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component
| '(e6bfd503-3a35-4b78-bab5-9570eddef81c)'
| source is Msinstaller
|
| Any idea what all that means??

Well I tried this one also. Actually I did all the steps except the
regedit32, not available on a W2K machine. After I got done with them all I
still got a fail window. Yeah I'm signed with admin rights, I even tried the
admin account and got the fail window, but thanks for asking, sometimes it's
overlooked.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Maybe this one. You are logged on as local administrator correct?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319624
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | Well I looked at the event viewer and the installer is the issue. Here is
> | what it's telling me:
> |
> | Detection of product'(91110409-6000=11d3-8cfe-0150048383c9)', feature
> | 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component
> | '(e6bfd503-3a35-4b78-bab5-9570eddef81c)'
> | source is Msinstaller
> |
> | Any idea what all that means??

At this point I'm almost tempted to reformat and start out fresh again, I do
that about every other year, lots of junk files just happen to appear all the
time.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Maybe this one. You are logged on as local administrator correct?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319624
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | Well I looked at the event viewer and the installer is the issue. Here is
> | what it's telling me:
> |
> | Detection of product'(91110409-6000=11d3-8cfe-0150048383c9)', feature
> | 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component
> | '(e6bfd503-3a35-4b78-bab5-9570eddef81c)'
> | source is Msinstaller
> |
> | Any idea what all that means??

And to think, this all started with a new motherboard, I replaced my old one
and did a reapir for windows so I could get access to my drives and all. do
you think there is something else I need to do to get the new motherboard
working correctly? I did the install of SP1 and 2 just fine, SP3 and 4 are
giving me the error message.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Maybe this one. You are logged on as local administrator correct?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319624
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | Well I looked at the event viewer and the installer is the issue. Here is
> | what it's telling me:
> |
> | Detection of product'(91110409-6000=11d3-8cfe-0150048383c9)', feature
> | 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component
> | '(e6bfd503-3a35-4b78-bab5-9570eddef81c)'
> | source is Msinstaller
> |
> | Any idea what all that means??

Its regedt32.exe

--

"Nad" wrote:
| Well I tried this one also. Actually I did all the steps except the
| regedit32, not available on a W2K machine. After I got done with them all
| still got a fail window. Yeah I'm signed with admin rights, I even tried
the
| admin account and got the fail window, but thanks for asking, sometimes
it's
| overlooked.

Same here. Couldn't agree more.

--

"Nad" wrote:
| At this point I'm almost tempted to reformat and start out fresh again, I
do
| that about every other year, lots of junk files just happen to appear all
the
| time.

These articles may help.

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

Service packs are cumulative so installing the latest one SP4 will do.

--

"Nad" wrote:
| And to think, this all started with a new motherboard, I replaced my old
one
| and did a reapir for windows so I could get access to my drives and all.
do
| you think there is something else I need to do to get the new motherboard
| working correctly? I did the install of SP1 and 2 just fine, SP3 and 4 are
| giving me the error message.

when I replaced the motherboard, I did the repair as stated for a motherboard
that failed. do you think that it could have not updated everything the first
time? Should I do another repair and see what happens?? Short of doing a full
install that is about the only thing I can see to try. what do you think??

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> These articles may help.
>
> How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694
>
> HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125
>
> Service packs are cumulative so installing the latest one SP4 will do.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nad" wrote:
> | And to think, this all started with a new motherboard, I replaced my old
> one
> | and did a reapir for windows so I could get access to my drives and all.
> do
> | you think there is something else I need to do to get the new motherboard
> | working correctly? I did the install of SP1 and 2 just fine, SP3 and 4 are
> | giving me the error message.

Yes, it can't hurt to try.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE