100% CPU Usage problem

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly competent geek and have been having trouble getting to the
bottom of a problem with my PC constantly running 100% CPU usage. For
the first 5-10 minutes after startup, winlogon.exe is eating up all the
CPU, and after that the system is real sluggish. Any process you are
trying to use will be using 100% CPU. Trying to print a Word document
is agonizing ...

Problem had been occurring occasionally for a while, but a cold reboot
would usually fix the problem. Today I got tired of dealing with it and
decided to reinstall OS and now the problem is constant. I'm really
flummoxed on this one. Any help is appreciated.

System is home built, Athlon 2000+, 1 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
partitioned into one 6 GB partition for the OS and the rest in a
seperate partition for programs and data. Seperate 2 GB hard drive (woo
hoo!) is used for swap file only.

OS is Win 2000 Pro, SP4.

Using Zone Alarm and AVG Free 7.0. I have every spyware tool you can
imagine at my disposal and have found nothing. I even spent an hour
today removing a bunch of ADS from files on the hard drive and still
have the same problem. HJT log is attached as text file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx
Pat

--
Dolphineus
Dolphineus's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1277

From: "Dolphineus" <Dolphineus.1p3s8b@no-mx.msusenet.com>

http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870433819

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try moving the swap file on to another partition and see what
happens..............
Did you format the OS partition and do a complete re-install??? Could
be you are just reloading the problem, if not. Try removing all peripheral
devices......... even mouse............

Rob wrote:

>Try moving the swap file on to another partition and see what
>happens..............
>Did you format the OS partition and do a complete re-install??? Could
>be you are just reloading the problem, if not. Try removing all peripheral
>devices......... even mouse............

And (I'm surprised on one else said it yet) do a sweep for
virus/trojan/worm, adware, spyware. If need be use a boot disk.

If you can get w2k to functioning again, look at every device on the
control panel, peripherals and system, including mobo resources like PCI
controllers, USB controllers, etc. Look especially for double-installs,
where two copies of a device are installed where there should be only
one. Anything questionable, try uninstalling and reinstalling, PITA
though it may be. This is the one I'd bet is the problem.

If not, then start looking at the running processes (not my area of
expertise, but some here can read that dump, maybe spot something that
shouldn't be there).

Look at CMOS. Got another HD? Install some sort of OS on that, boot
from there, use that to examine the other drive.

Sterilize that partition, and look for boot and loading files on other
partitions. Change the partition size, forcing a rewrite of the
partition data, which may be screwed.

In the end you may have to wipe, fdisk and repartition. If that don't
do it you got a hardware problem. Or your machine is infested with
elves. Nasty little critters. :-\

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

From: "Dolphineus" <Dolphineus.1p43ca@no-mx.msusenet.com>

| Isn't that the same thread?--
| Dolphineus--------------------------------------------------------------------Dolphineus's
| Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1277 View this thread:
http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870433819

Yes ! ???

I don't know what happened. It was supposed to be the following reply...

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download CLEAN.EXE from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/clean.exe

It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter
{ http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, two Kixtart scripts, two Link
(.lnk) files and a PDF instruction file.

GETFILES.BAT -- For downloading (FTP) the files needed to run the McAfee Command Line
Scanner. If you are using Windows XP, you may have to disable the Windows XP FireWall to
allow the FTP utility to download the needed files

CLEAN.BAT -- For running within Windows after running c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT. If you choose
to scan again at a future date, run this batch file. It will automatically check the date
of the McAfee DAT files and if it is a couple of days old, it will download (FTP) the latest
signature files and install them before performing the scan.

DOSCLEAN.BAT -- For use on a Win9x/ME PC or on a Win2K/WinXP PC that is using FAT32 after
you have booted from an Emergency Boot Disk or DOS disk and have already executed;
c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT from within Windows. DOS disk boot images can be obtained from;
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I need you to perform the following...

Execute; CLEAN.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'GetFiles Link' in c:\mcafee }

Reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]

Shutdown as many applications as possible !
It would also help for you to read - "How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Execute; c:\mcafee\CLEAN.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the
end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer).
It is suggested that you move the report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan.
It would be a good idea to scan in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Since you did a reinstall/format, I'd start thinking hardware. Unplug the
machine from the network and see if the problem resolves itself. If so, you
have a bad NIC. The WinLogin service uses the network.

Mike Ober.

Michael D. Ober Wrote:
> Since you did a reinstall/format, I'd start thinking hardware. Unplug
> the machine from the network and see if the problem resolves itself.
> If so, you have a bad NIC. The WinLogin service uses the network.
>
> Mike Ober.

BINGO!!

Thanks Mike. I wouldn't have thought it was the NIC and was looking to
replace the HDD. NIC was a built-in on the SOYO MB. I disabled and
replaced with a linksys 10/100 I had sitting around. Installed the
-correct- drivers, rebooted and so far we are golden.

Thanks for everyone who posted suggestions and helped.
Pat

--
Dolphineus
Dolphineus's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1277

I wonder if my problem is related. Ever since a failed attempt to upgrade to
SP4, my system has been operating poorly, and I have also had the 100%CPU
problem, which usually occurs within 20 -30 minutes after logon.
Disconnecting ( or disabling) the network usually seems to give me more
lifetime before freezing up. But one other problem I have noted along with
this is, in my case, its win9x.exe that seems to be gobbling the cpu, and
also prevents/slows desktop loading upon logon. With win9x.exe installed, I
usually have to log in and out a few times to get to a working functional
desktop, but with it removed the desktop loads normally. Interestingly, even
though I remove this file, it usually reappears, and my system again will be
prone to freezing up.

What does win9x do? (and why does it come back!)

my system is a 5 yr old dell, w/ 256K RAM and still with all original
hardware.....except CD rom been updgraded to RW.

Thanks!

neal

Goto http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-Win9x.exe.html

This is a worm. Get yourself a good Antivirus program.