Creating local user and adding it to power user group on s..

I need to create a local user with a password and add them to the local power
users group, does anyone have a script to do that? Thanks again for your
help...
5 answers Last reply
More about creating local user adding power user group

    "KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need to create a local user with a password and add them to the local
    power
    > users group, does anyone have a script to do that? Thanks again for your
    > help...

    From the help text in generated by typing net user /?:
    The syntax of this command is:
    NET USER
    [username [password | *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]
    username {password | *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]
    username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]

    From the help text generated by typing net localgroup /?:
    The syntax of this command is:
    NET LOCALGROUP
    [groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN]
    groupname {/ADD [/COMMENT:"text"] | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]
    groupname name [...] {/ADD | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]

    Hence:
    net user JSmith SomePassword /add
    net localgroup "Power Users" JSmith /add

    Thanks for the response...
    I have about 100 servers and I want to create a new local user and add them
    to the power users group with a script. So, I would have a text file with
    the name of all the servers that I want to have a user created and add them
    to the power users group. I am really looking for a script to do this...
    Thanks
    Kee

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I need to create a local user with a password and add them to the local
    > power
    > > users group, does anyone have a script to do that? Thanks again for your
    > > help...
    >
    > From the help text in generated by typing net user /?:
    > The syntax of this command is:
    > NET USER
    > [username [password | *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]
    > username {password | *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]
    > username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]
    >
    > From the help text generated by typing net localgroup /?:
    > The syntax of this command is:
    > NET LOCALGROUP
    > [groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN]
    > groupname {/ADD [/COMMENT:"text"] | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]
    > groupname name [...] {/ADD | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]
    >
    > Hence:
    > net user JSmith SomePassword /add
    > net localgroup "Power Users" JSmith /add

    You could do this:

    @echo off
    for /F %%a in (c:\Servers.txt) do psexec.exe \\%%a
    \\YourServer\SomeShare\AddUser.bat

    AddUser.bat is the two-line batch file I suggested in my first reply.
    psexec.exe is freely downloadable from www.sysinternals.com.

    > Thanks for the response...
    > I have about 100 servers and I want to create a new local user and add
    them
    > to the power users group with a script. So, I would have a text file with
    > the name of all the servers that I want to have a user created and add
    them
    > to the power users group. I am really looking for a script to do this...
    > Thanks
    > Kee
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I need to create a local user with a password and add them to the
    local
    > > power
    > > > users group, does anyone have a script to do that? Thanks again for
    your
    > > > help...
    > >
    > > From the help text in generated by typing net user /?:
    > > The syntax of this command is:
    > > NET USER
    > > [username [password | *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]
    > > username {password | *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]
    > > username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]
    > >
    > > From the help text generated by typing net localgroup /?:
    > > The syntax of this command is:
    > > NET LOCALGROUP
    > > [groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN]
    > > groupname {/ADD [/COMMENT:"text"] | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]
    > > groupname name [...] {/ADD | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]
    > >
    > > Hence:
    > > net user JSmith SomePassword /add
    > > net localgroup "Power Users" JSmith /add

    Pegasus
    I was running it this way, without the network share...
    psexec @c:\temp\computerslist.txt -u rspa\leek -p Pa33word -c
    c:\temp\adduser.bat -d

    and it seems to run fine for several workstations in HQ but remote
    workstations I am having a hard time, I'll keep you posted...
    But I really do appreciate your posts, now I know you can use variables
    instead of @path:\textfileofservers...This should work as well, correct?
    thanks again

    I am not aware of the @ option with psexec.exe. I run version 1.31.

    > Pegasus
    > I was running it this way, without the network share...
    > psexec @c:\temp\computerslist.txt -u rspa\leek -p Pa33word -c
    > c:\temp\adduser.bat -d
    >
    > and it seems to run fine for several workstations in HQ but remote
    > workstations I am having a hard time, I'll keep you posted...
    > But I really do appreciate your posts, now I know you can use variables
    > instead of @path:\textfileofservers...This should work as well, correct?
    > thanks again
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > You could do this:
    > >
    > > @echo off
    > > for /F %%a in (c:\Servers.txt) do psexec.exe \\%%a
    > > \\YourServer\SomeShare\AddUser.bat
    > >
    > > AddUser.bat is the two-line batch file I suggested in my first reply.
    > > psexec.exe is freely downloadable from www.sysinternals.com.
    > >

    > > "KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the response...
    > > > I have about 100 servers and I want to create a new local user and add
    > > them
    > > > to the power users group with a script. So, I would have a text file
    with
    > > > the name of all the servers that I want to have a user created and add
    > > them
    > > > to the power users group. I am really looking for a script to do
    this...
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Kee

    > > local