How to capture VGA or YUV signals?

Linkx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi,

I am a new member, therefore I hope this question isn't answered yet (yes, I tried the search function however VGA or YUV seem to be too short - it fails).

I basically want to record screenshots from a Xbox 360 - I do NOT need video capturing (although of course it would be cool). Basically I currently can capture via Composite and S-Video, however both are not HD and their quality (especially that of Composite) is rather weak. Now, the X360 also allows to send high resolution content via VGA (1280x1024 or 1280x720 or several different resolutions) as well as YUV (720p, 1080i and 1080p). Are there any capturing devices for these inputs (1280x720 or 720p would be 100% sufficient, I do not need 1080i or 1080p support - it would be cool but it is not needed - for VGA 1280x720 would also be okay, just 1280x1024 would be preferred).

Are there any devices like this in an affordable price region?

Thank you,

Linkx

Hi,

I am a new member, therefore I hope this question isn't answered yet (yes, I tried the search function however VGA or YUV seem to be too short - it fails).

I basically want to record screenshots from a Xbox 360 - I do NOT need video capturing (although of course it would be cool). Basically I currently can capture via Composite and S-Video, however both are not HD and their quality (especially that of Composite) is rather weak. Now, the X360 also allows to send high resolution content via VGA (1280x1024 or 1280x720 or several different resolutions) as well as YUV (720p, 1080i and 1080p). Are there any capturing devices for these inputs (1280x720 or 720p would be 100% sufficient, I do not need 1080i or 1080p support - it would be cool but it is not needed - for VGA 1280x720 would also be okay, just 1280x1024 would be preferred).

Are there any devices like this in an affordable price region?

Thank you,

Linkx
Almost any capture device can work but with 1 big problem. The Xbox like the PS2 plays DVD movies and while trying to record them you may get a scrambled or black and white picture. There are devices you can connect between your Xbox and your capture card for a fix but that is illegal so thats all im willing to say.

If your looking for good capture software I would suggest you check out virtualdub. Its free and works with all types of video compression and filters so your video looks like a pros.
http://www.virtualdub.org/

Linkx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Well, I guess my question was incorrect..

yes, I can already connect my Xbox 360 to the PC capture card.. but only via Composite and S-Video and to be serious: I never saw any TV capture card offering other options (just DVB-S/DVB-T/DVB-C) which often do not offer any analog inputs anymore.

As the Xbox 360 offers HDTV output I would like to capture that signal.. SD and Composite are only SD and interlaced. Therefore I would prefer to capture the signal via YUV or VGA... so I basically need a framegrabber or a capture card (PCI or USB would be no problem) which has VGA or YUV input and can record in HD resolutions (1280x720) instead of upscaling SD.

And I am basically searching capture devices which do have a VGA or YUV in so that I could take much higher resolution screenshots or (not needed but would be cool of course) even gameplay videos. Are there any not too expensive devices which can do it (below 200$).

Basically for the VirtualDub link: thank you but I already know that program ;) I like it!

Well, I guess my question was incorrect..

yes, I can already connect my Xbox 360 to the PC capture card.. but only via Composite and S-Video and to be serious: I never saw any TV capture card offering other options (just DVB-S/DVB-T/DVB-C) which often do not offer any analog inputs anymore.

As the Xbox 360 offers HDTV output I would like to capture that signal.. SD and Composite are only SD and interlaced. Therefore I would prefer to capture the signal via YUV or VGA... so I basically need a framegrabber or a capture card (PCI or USB would be no problem) which has VGA or YUV input and can record in HD resolutions (1280x720) instead of upscaling SD.

And I am basically searching capture devices which do have a VGA or YUV in so that I could take much higher resolution screenshots or (not needed but would be cool of course) even gameplay videos. Are there any not too expensive devices which can do it (below 200$).

Basically for the VirtualDub link: thank you but I already know that program ;) I like it!
Ok your wanting a capture card for 1080i? Ati has a good cheap HDTV capture card but cheap here is about $100~$199. Youll need to capture raw and have 1 killer harddrive setup to keep up.
http://ati.de/products/hdtvwonder/reviews.html
They are other HDTV capture cards which go by resolutions 720P(JVC) and 1080i(SONY) so use those for your search with PCI or PCI-X.

Here is some info I have on HD.
http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/freecapture/default.htm
Only the last part with vitualdub is important to you.

Linkx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Thank you again but still I do not see your example matching my requirements. Because this ATI card does not seem to have a YUV or a VGA input but antenna inputs.

I am searching for something similar to this:
http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=1

This one's about 300$, however that one for example would match my requirements... it has a VGA input. However, I am just interested whether these devices exist in some cheaper form?

Thank you again but still I do not see your example matching my requirements. Because this ATI card does not seem to have a YUV or a VGA input but antenna inputs.

I am searching for something similar to this:
http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=1

This one's about 300$, however that one for example would match my requirements... it has a VGA input. However, I am just interested whether these devices exist in some cheaper form?
This product is for capturing what your doing on screen for tech videos like MS word training and that would most likly be the cheapest youll find. I would suggest you go for a HD capture card as they are about half the price as the VGA device. This is a good link which states some options or quality you may want.
http://forums.xbox.com/196109/ShowPost.aspx
On the device you listed note the fps in the tech section being 5.6fps at 1280X1024 which would be very low for what your wanting.

For the ATI HDTV
has three connectors: one for the HDTV antenna, one for analog cable TV or an analog antenna and one for the ATi purple breakout box.
The purple breakout box is an adaptor for composite and s-video but you may have to buy the adaptor.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/09/17/ati_brings_hdtv_to_the_pc/page2.html

This review does have a mistake where stating "The HDTV Wonder will not accept HDTV signals from cable boxes or satellite boxes." which is the ATI guide software. I use virtualdub to watch satellite tv and the ATI software is a resource hog which is why I use virtualdub.

Linkx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Well, you mentioned S-Video and Composite.. as visible here:
http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews/multimedia/ati/tvwond/hdtv/dongle.jpg
but what would help me again. I do have a capture card with S-Video and Composite...

however.. my main problem is for my X360.. I want to record its output signal in HD resolutions - and it offers these outputs:
-Composite: SD (in my case PAL60 as I use a PAL Xbox)
-S-Video: SD (PAL60)
-YUV: 720p, 1080i, 1080p (720p would be sufficient)
-VGA: several resolutions (from 640x480 to 1920x1080 - I use 1280x1024)

I know that these VGA grabbers are basically made for another purpose - for example Word (what you mentioned). However, for my X360 purposes Composite and S-Video with SD resolutions wouldn't simply be enough.

Of course my software can upsample SVHS and VHS to HD resolutions but considering the XBox 360 uses Real High Definition internally the quality loss would be enourmous :'( .

Anyway (not on-topic): Thanks for the review link anyway, I am planning on buying a HDTV card too (just this one won't work as I live in Europe but it was definetely worth reading).

Well, you mentioned S-Video and Composite.. as visible here:
http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews/multimedia/ati/tvwond/hdtv/dongle.jpg
but what would help me again. I do have a capture card with S-Video and Composite...

however.. my main problem is for my X360.. I want to record its output signal in HD resolutions - and it offers these outputs:
-Composite: SD (in my case PAL60 as I use a PAL Xbox)
-S-Video: SD (PAL60)
-YUV: 720p, 1080i, 1080p (720p would be sufficient)
-VGA: several resolutions (from 640x480 to 1920x1080 - I use 1280x1024)

I know that these VGA grabbers are basically made for another purpose - for example Word (what you mentioned). However, for my X360 purposes Composite and S-Video with SD resolutions wouldn't simply be enough.

Of course my software can upsample SVHS and VHS to HD resolutions but considering the XBox 360 uses Real High Definition internally the quality loss would be enourmous :'( .

Anyway (not on-topic): Thanks for the review link anyway, I am planning on buying a HDTV card too (just this one won't work as I live in Europe but it was definetely worth reading).
OK, wish I could help you more but when on the tech edge there is never a produced on the cheap which works if at all the way we need.