Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
hello again, sorry for all my posts.
Have just changed my system back to my old system, which involved diff memory, diff processor and diff motherboard. the games i was having trouble with planetside and fear ( heck load of messed up graphics) work fine on my old system ( obviously with the same graphics card i use on the new system) Seeing as i checked my new memory and it doesn't seem like it's that, i'm guessing it's the motherboard.
dvdrw/cdrw combo sometimetimes wasn't detected with the new setup ,meaning it was just plain missing, most of the time auto detect didn't occur so cdroms or what ever were never read after inserting without me clicking on em , plus a crash every half hour or so by bodog, and a lot of wierd graphics in two games in particular, must mean motherboard, right?
only slight doubt is i'm using a new intel dual core 2 cpu, without windows updates( which i can't get) could it possibly be this instead?

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
got a genuine copy of windows xp home now, with all updates. and my system now works much better on all online games and offline ones, dunno why perhaps the core 2 cpu is working correctly now. but the errors causing bodog to crash quite randomly are stilll there, and the fear demo and planetside ( full game ) still have real messed up graphics , with lots of colours where there shouldn't be which makes them unplayable.
Still tryin to figure out why, all halflife 2 games work fine ,you know the ones on steam . I even have quake 4 running fine with online multiplayer and single player. So virtually all my games run excellently, so any1 have any idea what the problem might be?
Have fitted my old motherboard,processor and memory and these 2 problem games work so that means that it's a faulty motherboard ,cpu or memory? ( have tested memory with memtest and will test it again tom with prime 95, to double check, so don't think it's the new memory)
So how do i find out which one. board or cpu? or could there be another cause?

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
something i didn't do on installing my new parts was reset cmos, with jumpers. brand new board ,cpu and mem, was that a mistake? can give my part details once i get home tom.

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
intel core 2 duo 6300 new
2 gig corsair 566 ddr2 mem new ( tested fine)
asrock 775dual-vsta new
80 gig hard drive ( tested fine)
on board sound

( all windows updates)

realised today pci was selected 4 graphics card in bios , while i am using an agp ( the board accepts both) changed it but didn't help graphics problems with certain games. any1 think clearing the cmos and doing a clean install would make any difference?

hope the new details might help someone work out what the problem is.

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
graphics card is an asus v9999/td which works fine with these games on my old motherboard and cpu. 128 mb ram ( think it's a geforce 6800) :oops:

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Hmmm, you mention a clean install... Are you swapping motherboards and CPUs, etc. back and forth on the the same hardrive and windows install? If so that's probably your problem. Do you have the drivers installed for the new MB? Did you completely un-install the old ones? May be something as simple as the drivers interfering with each other. I'd definately do a clean install when replacing the MB and CPU.

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
i always do a clean install when changing board, mem and cpu, sorry 4 confusion.. Cheers 4 quick response.