X-Fi in Windows 98

MrDingBat

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
What really annoys me about 'modern' hardware is the way that Windows 98 support has been dropped like a stone now that the OS is not actively supported by Microsoft.

I upgraded to a Gainward 512MB 7800GS AGP video card in my dual-boot (XP/98) PC. This video card doesn't support 98. It goes well, although it had to have an upgraded power supply (Antec trupower 2 550) to run. The really annoying thing is that some other manufacturers AGP 7800GS's do support Windows 98.

I can't see myself ever splashing out on a Creative X-fi card because of the lack of driver support. Heck - the thing doesn't even run on Windows 2000 - it's XP only! Why is that - is there pressure from Microsoft to 'move the consumers forward' from Windows 98 and 2000? What does Johnathon 'Fatal1ty' Wendel think of this? After all, his physiognomy adorns the packaging of some X-fi editions.

The Solution :!:

What should happen is that Creative's driver development team should be forced to make proper Windows 98/SE/ME VXD drivers. To encourage this, they should be made to play 2-hour sessions of Donkey Kong with Johnathon, morning and afternoon, followed by 2-hour coding sessions. That would teach them not to be so lazy. I'm sure Mr. Fatal1ty would enjoy that sort of thing, because he's a winner. :idea: Oh, and some of Creative's executives should also have to play Donkey Kong with J'F'W as well, because of the lawsuits that they inflicted upon Aureal a few years ago.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
What really annoys me about 'modern' hardware is the way that Windows 98 support has been dropped like a stone now that the OS is not actively supported by Microsoft.

I upgraded to a Gainward 512MB 7800GS AGP video card in my dual-boot (XP/98) PC. This video card doesn't support 98. It goes well, although it had to have an upgraded power supply (Antec trupower 2 550) to run. The really annoying thing is that some other manufacturers AGP 7800GS's do support Windows 98.

I can't see myself ever splashing out on a Creative X-fi card because of the lack of driver support. Heck - the thing doesn't even run on Windows 2000 - it's XP only! Why is that - is there pressure from Microsoft to 'move the consumers forward' from Windows 98 and 2000? What does Johnathon 'Fatal1ty' Wendel think of this? After all, his physiognomy adorns the packaging of some X-fi editions.

The Solution :!:

What should happen is that Creative's driver development team should be forced to make proper Windows 98/SE/ME VXD drivers. To encourage this, they should be made to play 2-hour sessions of Donkey Kong with Johnathon, morning and afternoon, followed by 2-hour coding sessions. That would teach them not to be so lazy. I'm sure Mr. Fatal1ty would enjoy that sort of thing, because he's a winner. :idea: Oh, and some of Creative's executives should also have to play Donkey Kong with J'F'W as well, because of the lawsuits that they inflicted upon Aureal a few years ago.

Complaining because newish products weren't made to support your silly unstable OS that hardly anyone uses. Boofrickinhoo.

Call the Waaaaaaambulance or something......

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Ohhhhh, get over it

you even said "dual boot XP/98 pc"
what are you complaingi about? your graphos and xfi wud work with xp, so would your games

trash 98 and move on - its 8 years old, buggy, unsupported and requires users to perform the three fingered salute hourly (ctrl-alt-del) :D

i'd have more sympathy for you if your were running 2000/ME as their still fairly modern, and still used

as to ur 2nd points

-wendel wudnt care abt 98, as he doesn't use it, as with abt 99.sumthing percent of the rest of the world
-common sense dictates that its not viable to waste a developemt and testing tem on creating drivers for outdated os/s just to satisfy the likes of you

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Ah common, windows 98 is almost 9(!!!) years old, its getting a bit out dated you know :lol:

Live with it, they even dropped support for windows 3.1 8O

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
What possible use is there for Windows 98 over Windows XP nowadays?

For old games, use VDMSsound or Dosbox.

Windows 98 is dead.

I have a second system setup for old games... Dosbox is way too slow. Besides, there are plenty of old games that dont run in XP but ran fine under 98 (Win32 games that is).