8800 GTS or GTX??

compguy

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hi all,

I am planning on buying a new comp in the next few weeks, and was wondering if anyone out there could let me know if I should buy the 8800 GTS or GTX for my new build.

I am getting an E6600 (overclocked to 3.6), 2 GB mem, an EVGA 680I SLI MOBO, etc. I currently have a 19" LCD screen with a max res of 1280x960 (I think - I'm at work so I'm not sure). But, at that resolution, even with 16X AA & 16x AF, would I need a GTX or would the GTS be fine? I have heard that the GTX is sometimes slower until a certail resolution, is this true?

Any info or insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Shibito

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
What card do you currently have? Personaly i think the GTS will be fine, with that processor and mem it'll fly through any current gen games you throw at it. If you have the money to burn get the GTX as it is signifficently better. Allthough, i'd wait till feb for ati to release there own dx10 cards and then you could get one of them or watch the gtx price drop.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hi all,

I am planning on buying a new comp in the next few weeks, and was wondering if anyone out there could let me know if I should buy the 8800 GTS or GTX for my new build.

I am getting an E6600 (overclocked to 3.6), 2 GB mem, an EVGA 680I SLI MOBO, etc. I currently have a 19" LCD screen with a max res of 1280x960 (I think - I'm at work so I'm not sure). But, at that resolution, even with 16X AA & 16x AF, would I need a GTX or would the GTS be fine? I have heard that the GTX is sometimes slower until a certail resolution, is this true?

Any info or insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Hey, i had to make the same decision between the gts and gtx...the gts at the resolution would smoke any other card out there...its not that the gts or gtx is better than one or the other...they are both actually good for their prices...so you know, i decided to go for the gtx..mainly because i told myself "whats an extra 190 bucks eh? money is money comes and goes " ...the only game in which i really noticed the gtx shine was in oblivion at higher resolutions, from what i understand in benchmarks iv seen, the gtx can get an extra 20 fps over the gts model, but im picky ,that extra 20 fps is another thing that pushed me to the GtX...you haev to ask yourself...is 20 fps worth 200 bucks? if you have the money def the gtx...if you cant pull an extra 200 bucks out of your pocket, you will defenetly not regret the gts...as it performs very well at all resolutions also. and also, iv never seen the gtx do worse in any benchmarks iv seen, and iv been through 10 or 11 different website before i decided to go for the gtx.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Below 1600x1200 resolution i don't think you gain so much by going with the GTX. It will be a bit faster but based on the benchmarks on the net the GTX really shines at higher resolution with all the details turned up. So it is up to you, but if you don't plan on getting a new monitor anytime soon i would save my money and go with the GTS.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
1680x1050 is a little below 1600x1200 but still enough to really yield amazing performance gains at 4x AA and 16x AS. All I had to do was turn supersampling off in the options and Oblivion has precisely zero lagginess at all anywhere.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
1680x1050 is a little below 1600x1200 but still enough to really yield amazing performance gains at 4x AA and 16x AS. All I had to do was turn supersampling off in the options and Oblivion has precisely zero lagginess at all anywhere.
Yeah but i thought he said his max res is 1280x960.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
You Should Get The GTS, Its Quite A Bit Cheaper Than The 8800GTX And Ive (As Well As Others) Have Found That When Overclocked (As Mine Is, My Systems Specs Are In My Sig) They Will Perform As Well As An 8800GTX