Co-existance of multiple MIMO WLANs

Ianmac42

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I need to implement two separate Wireless Lans within an environment that suffers from distance and speed, as such I have been looking at the 802.11g derivatives to improve speed and particularly coverage.

I have read much of the impressive work on testing the pre-802.1n products on this site which has given me an insight into a potential solution.

Accepting the issues with legacy wireless networks, I am looking to utilise two Netgear Rangemax 240's with different SSID's (hidden) and two different WPA2 Pre-shared keys.

I have a number of questions;

1. Can the two networks co-exist

2. Do I need to manually assign different channels or will they select different and appropriate channels

3. I am only interested in utilising the switch / WLAN capabilities of the device (which will be connected to a Checkpoint Firewall), are there any issues in not utilising the routing or broadband elements of the device

4. I see Tom's references to tests at locations 1 through 5, what were these distances

5. I am looking to achieve reasonable connectivity (above 2mbps) at distances of around 400 - 500 feet and in some instances through thick walls. Is this realistic.

6. Is there any way to achieve a form of Wireless Repeater in (instances where signal is degrading) using this solution

Many thanks for your help.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you want reliable speed at long range I'd forget about all that MIMO and pre-n stuff. Just setup an 802.11g accesspoint with a couple repeaters and/or a large amplified antenna. The Buffalo WHR-G54S makes a great accesspoint/repeater if you want decent speed and quality on a low budget. There is a switch on the bottom of the unit to make it either an accesspoint or a reapeater/bridge. If you want to go the amplified antenna route Radiolabs.com has a great selection of high powered directional and omni directional antennas.

Here is the location info:
How Wireless is Tested
Location #1: AP and wireless client in same room, approximately 6 feet apart.

Location #2: Client in room on same level, approximately 45 feet away from AP. Two sheetrock walls between AP and Client.

Location #3: Client in upper level, approximately 25 feet away (direct path) from AP. One wood floor, sheetrock ceiling, no walls between AP and Client.

Location #4: Client on upper level, approximately 55 feet away (direct path) from AP. Two to three interior walls, one wood floor, one sheetrock ceiling and stainless-steel refrigerator, between AP and Client.

Location #5: Client on upper level, approximately 65 feet away (direct path) from AP. Four to five interior walls, one wood floor, one sheetrock ceiling, between AP and Client.