Changing volume sizes on dynamic disks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi ,
I'm system administrator at a large transport company. Now we need to expand
our system drive on the dynamic volume and reduce the size of our data drive
on the dynamic volume, if possible without data loss. We use a raid 5
configuration.

At first we purchased Partition magic 8, that didn't work, then we purchased
Volumemanager 2.0, this one didn't work either because of the dynamic drives.

Is there anyone out there who knows what program we need to resize both the
system and the data partition without data loss?

I would appreciate any comments on this as I'm at the end of my resources
for this.

Thanks in advance Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about changing volume sizes dynamic disks
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks for your post.

    In your situation there is a tool integrated withen windows that enables
    you to extend a volume. its name is ( diskpart ) you can lunch it from the
    command prompt. but it has some limitations where you can extend a volume to
    include a free space in the hard disk, but you cann't extend a system or a
    boot volume, while you can extend data volumes.

    I hope it will aid your needs. Thanx.

    -------------------------------

    "Skyjacal" wrote:

    > Hi ,
    > I'm system administrator at a large transport company. Now we need to expand
    > our system drive on the dynamic volume and reduce the size of our data drive
    > on the dynamic volume, if possible without data loss. We use a raid 5
    > configuration.
    >
    > At first we purchased Partition magic 8, that didn't work, then we purchased
    > Volumemanager 2.0, this one didn't work either because of the dynamic drives.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who knows what program we need to resize both the
    > system and the data partition without data loss?
    >
    > I would appreciate any comments on this as I'm at the end of my resources
    > for this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance Peter
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi and thank you Ehab for your answer,

    but still this does not help me, I need to know if there is a tool with
    which I can extend the system or boor volume without losing data, as it's
    this volume that has to be extended (enlarged)

    regards Peter

    "EHAB NASIF" wrote:

    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > In your situation there is a tool integrated withen windows that enables
    > you to extend a volume. its name is ( diskpart ) you can lunch it from the
    > command prompt. but it has some limitations where you can extend a volume to
    > include a free space in the hard disk, but you cann't extend a system or a
    > boot volume, while you can extend data volumes.
    >
    > I hope it will aid your needs. Thanx.
    >
    > -------------------------------
    >
    > "Skyjacal" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi ,
    > > I'm system administrator at a large transport company. Now we need to expand
    > > our system drive on the dynamic volume and reduce the size of our data drive
    > > on the dynamic volume, if possible without data loss. We use a raid 5
    > > configuration.
    > >
    > > At first we purchased Partition magic 8, that didn't work, then we purchased
    > > Volumemanager 2.0, this one didn't work either because of the dynamic drives.
    > >
    > > Is there anyone out there who knows what program we need to resize both the
    > > system and the data partition without data loss?
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any comments on this as I'm at the end of my resources
    > > for this.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance Peter
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Under these circumstances you have to backup the data volume and delete it.
    Set the OS partition back to basic. Use volumemanger to resize the OS
    volume. Convert back to dynamic. Create a partition with the remaining
    space. Make dynamic. Restore the data.

    I would recommend multibackups that are tested before you begin the operation.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thank you Joshua for your quick answer,

    well I see that there is no shortcut to my job, so I will have to just do
    that then.

    best regards Peter

    "Joshua Bolton" wrote:

    > Under these circumstances you have to backup the data volume and delete it.
    > Set the OS partition back to basic. Use volumemanger to resize the OS
    > volume. Convert back to dynamic. Create a partition with the remaining
    > space. Make dynamic. Restore the data.
    >
    > I would recommend multibackups that are tested before you begin the operation.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows