Sign in with
Your question

Can CPU-Z report the wrong Processor?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2006 1:08:01 AM

Hi Guys,

Just bought what I thought was an Athlon XP 3200+. However, when I adjusted the clock settings for 3200+, the PC wouldn't boot.

After lowering the clock speed, I was able to boot and then ran CPU-Z.

It told me the process was an Athlon XP 2500+.

Is it possible that somehow, my motherboard configuration could make this app report the wrong CPU type?

The only reason I ask is b/c the seller I bought it from was very prompt with shipping, has been a member since 2003 and has all positive feedback.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but before I go making any assumptions, wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
December 28, 2006 1:34:49 AM

If you down-rate the processor manually from a 3200 to a 2500 then CPU-Z will rate it a 2500 I think (I used the pencil trick & scraping to make a Duron 750 into a 1GHz and the system reports it as the 1GHz version). When you first put the processor in, the BIOS should naturally want to set it to the 3200 if it can (i.e. if the board can do FSB 400MHz). What does the board say in the BIOS if you leave it all up to it (don't set anything manually)?

Jo
December 28, 2006 10:27:01 AM

Quote:
If you down-rate the processor manually from a 3200 to a 2500 then CPU-Z will rate it a 2500 I think (I used the pencil trick & scraping to make a Duron 750 into a 1GHz and the system reports it as the 1GHz version). When you first put the processor in, the BIOS should naturally want to set it to the 3200 if it can (i.e. if the board can do FSB 400MHz). What does the board say in the BIOS if you leave it all up to it (don't set anything manually)?

Jo

It was a CPU replacement. My MB manual says to reset the CMOS in order to auto-detect its clock speed. I reset and the value it returned was 1.83 Mhz; the speed for a 2500+.

When I try to bump it up to 3200+ speed, the PC hangs until the BIOS is reset again.

So, it sounds like the wrong chip, correct?

P.S. I didn't actually look at the label on the chip. I should have, I know. I was in a hurry. Had a three-year-old trying to poke and prod inside my PC.
Related resources
December 28, 2006 10:50:44 AM

increase your FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz,

166MHz (DDR = 333MHz) are used for the early version of Barton Core which gives u 166MHz FSB x Multiplier 11.0 = 1833MHz (1.83GHz),

200MHz (DDR = 400MHz) are used in the later XP3200+ version, 200MHz x 11 = 2200MHz (2.2GHz) which will give u the spec of a XP3200+

do NOT manually select CPU version via BIOS
December 28, 2006 1:06:17 PM

Yup, if it has a x11 multi, it needs a 400MHz fsb to be a 3200.

There are some x14 multiplier 3200s about, aimed at a 333MHz fsb, 2333MHz core clock, but this isn't one of them

What motherboard do you have? Only the later nForce 2 400s and up, VIA KT600 and later support this.

Early nForce 2s, and VIA KT400 DO NOT support 400MHz.

What RAM do you have? PC2700 (333MHz) is common in Athlon XP systems. If it happens to be CL3 PC2700 your chances of hitting 400MHz with it are remote, although you may be able to run asynchronously, depending on the motherboard and BIOS.

Athlon XP is unusual in that it doesn't report what it is directly, the system has to decide what model the CPU is based on multiplier and clock speed.

This has lead to there being many many "fake" 3200s about, which are mostly bridgemodded Athlon XP-Mobiles.

Its not easy to tell weather you have a fake (which as it will be being overclocked already, has very little headroom left.) without a close examination of the CPU. Even reputable vendors have been known to have faked 3200s in stock without realising, the Athlon XP is a CPU that you should *never* consider from ebay imho....

Any modification to the pin side, or the L3, L6, L12 bridges indicates a fake, although there are some about that have been modded in other ways, and even if it IS a fake, the seller more than likely didn't know, and was sold it as a 3200.
December 28, 2006 2:16:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just bought what I thought was an Athlon XP 3200+. However, when I adjusted the clock settings for 3200+, the PC wouldn't boot.

After lowering the clock speed, I was able to boot and then ran CPU-Z.

It told me the process was an Athlon XP 2500+.

Is it possible that somehow, my motherboard configuration could make this app report the wrong CPU type?

The only reason I ask is b/c the seller I bought it from was very prompt with shipping, has been a member since 2003 and has all positive feedback.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but before I go making any assumptions, wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

What MB you have first?
December 28, 2006 2:48:04 PM

The motherboard I have is an AOpen AK77-600N. It's a generic brand and since I'm not a hardware guru, it suited me for what I needed.

The reason I wanted to upgrade the CPU was so that I could do more intensive work from home.

I think I got what I need though thanks to Peter4r's post. I need up the clock speed on my mb via a jumper.

I'll try that when I get home this evening and let y'all know how it works out.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

P.S. I understand the hesitation to buy a CPU off Ebay, but the guy had a good rep and his selling history revealed that he'd sold this same chip before several times with + feedback on each one. I understand the risk buying off ebay, but felt like I made an educated decision.

I'm going from an AMD Sempron 2400+ to this one and adding 1GB of PC3200 RAM so I'm hoping a noticeable difference will be made.

Just trying squeeze every ounce of life I can out of that PC :) 
December 28, 2006 3:16:33 PM

You can change the jumper, but it would be easier to just set 200MHz in the BIOS under the "Frequency and Voltage control" menu.

Thats not a bad motherboard, I always preferred the KT600 to most of the nForce2 boards, Dual Channel DDR1 did nothing for Athlon XP anyway.

Your old Sempron 2400 will have been a x10 multiplier, and on a Thoroughbred-B process with 256KiB cache. To be honest, given the smaller cache and more recent CPU (unless you have a *very* early sempron and one of the last Athlon XPs) you would probably find the Sempron would be perfectly happy running at 200MHz fsb, at which point it would only have been fractionally slower...
December 28, 2006 10:53:54 PM

Quote:
You can change the jumper, but it would be easier to just set 200MHz in the BIOS under the "Frequency and Voltage control" menu.

Nope...had to change the jumper to put the Freq. setting where I needed it. (It was limiting me to 191)

Anyway, got it working, fellas! I'm still struggling on 256MB of RAM at the moment but have a GIG of pc3200 on the way.

Even with this small bit of RAM, I've noticed a significant performance.

Thanks so much for your help!!! 8)
December 28, 2006 11:00:47 PM

Quote:

Nope...had to change the jumper to put the Freq. setting where I needed it. (It was limiting me to 191)

Thats unusual, never had a KT600 do that before...

Oh well, all's well that ends well!
!