Out Of Curiosity... Rate My System

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Im Just Curious Of What Pepole Think Of My System Ill Give Full Hardware Details (Id Like To Remind You That Im A Die-Hard AMD Fan So No Core 2 Duo Remarks) If I Forgot Anything Just Ask

Chaintech Zenith VE, Socket 939, PCI-E, Nforce4 Ultra Motherboard
Opteron 175 (2.0GHz Stock) Peltier/Air @ 3.2GHz, 1.55V
2GB DDR 1T, 3-4-4-7@600MHz, 2.9v (4x512Mb Sticks)
Soundblaster Audigy SE 7.1, EAX3
Gigabyte iRAM w/2GB DDR (Used For A 1GB Swapfile And Temp Files)
36GB 15,000RPM Ultra-SCSI320 w/8MB Cache (2x18GB Partitions Virtual Raid-1) 18GB Highly Customized And Tweaked Windows XP x64 Edition Install And Personal Files Partition. 18GB Backup Mirror) On A PCI-E x4 U320 SCSI Controller
2x 80GB Western Digital Special Edition, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, PATA/100 In RAID-0, Bulk/Application And Game Storage
Evga 8800GTS @600/1600
LG 16x DVD-ROM
HP DVD640 16x DL-DVD Burner w/Lightscribe
Xoxide Acrylic Case w/3x80mm, 3500RPM Blue-LED Fans And 1x 120mm, 3500RPM Blue-LED Fans
Modified\Customized Logitech X-530 5.1 w/Rewired Amp And Retrofitted With An 8" Compitetion Kicker Sub
Modified/Customized Compaq Keyboard (Keys "Edged" With Blue El-Wire, Logo Removed)
Customized/Modified A4Tech Wireless Batteryfree Mouse (Red LEDs Replaced w/Blue LEDs And Skinned Mousepad)
22" Scepter, 1680x1050, .27mm, 5ms. 16:9 Widescreen TFT-LCD Attached Via DVI (HDMI Capable) And 17.3" SiliconGraphics (SGI), 1600x1024, .23mm, 40ms. 16:9 Widescreen TFT-LCD Attached Via DVI-to-VGA Adapter (Due To An Incompatibility Between The Multilink Adapter And DVI Port)
450Watt Accessory + 550Watt System Power Supplys

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I think it sounds like a cool system + I like AMD too (some part of me didn't want to get a C2D due to the years of Intel screwing everyone while AMD was actually making good processors).

Jo

moogles

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
it's a pretty good system. I got the lg dvd drive! :D and 4 sticks of ram too :p
musta cost alot, with all those fast hard drives.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You put a car audio sub (kicker at that) in place of a nice logitech home sub?

I think the system is pretty decent. I think the video card is nice, but overpriced atm, and some of the other stuff is pretty nice. Not a big fan of Chaintech though. C2D would easily out perform it in a similar build for less money i bet.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm a tad confused as why you would take a single 36GB drive, partition it, then do any type of raid on it? (I'm assuming by "virtual raid 1" you mean you've mirrored it at the OS level?) Granted if the OS partition is corrupt then you have a way out, but if the drive dies, you're screwed...

There aren't any performance benefits from doing this, as a matter of fact you'll take a perf hit because the same spindle has to write the data twice, not to mention that there is an OS perf hit for doing software mirroring...

Other than that good box tho!

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Just Wanted Opinions, Number Ratings, Hell Even Improvments That Can Be Made, All My friends Seem To Love It Even Those Who Dont Even Know Much Boutem

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The 36GB SCSI Was Only $130.00 New, A Friend Of Mine Whos An IT At A Bank Bought Some New Servers And Replaced The Drives With Larger Ones And Sold Me One Of Them. One Of The WD800s Is From My Last (Athlon XP) System That I Built Late 2001 And The Other My Brother Swiped From Wal-Mart (Dont Ask) About 4 Months Ago.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yes Its Software Raid 1 But The Hit Is Negligable Since The Files That Are Written Often, (Like Things In My Documents, Such As Images From My Digital Camera, Short Video Clips, And Text Documents) Are Reletively Small And Due To The Fact That My Temp Folder And The Swapfile Are On The 2GB iRAM.

And Even If There Is A Drive Falure (Witch I Doubt Since Its A Brand New Fluid Bearing Drive Thats 2 Months Old From The Manufactuing Date) I Keep A
DL-DVD Backup Of My Utmost Important Files.

The Largest Files (Game Lavel Loads, All Other Apps, My "Keepable" Download Storage Folders And Encryped Volume Are All Read From And Written To The WD800s In The Hardware Raid-0 Bulk Storage Array.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yes I Installed The Kicker To Replace The 7" Cardboard Cone Speaker, And The Amp Was Rewired To Up The Wattage Another 50Watts, It Sounds Incredible, The Nieghbors Two Houses Down Complained About Being Able To Hear The Bass

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Yes Its Software Raid 1 But The Hit Is Negligable Since The Files That Are Written Often, (Like Things In My Documents, Such As Images From My Digital Camera, Short Video Clips, And Text Documents) Are Reletively Small And Due To The Fact That My Temp Folder And The Swapfile Are On The 2GB iRAM.

And Even If There Is A Drive Falure (Witch I Doubt Since Its A Brand New Fluid Bearing Drive Thats 2 Months Old From The Manufactuing Date) I Keep A
DL-DVD Backup Of My Utmost Important Files.

The Largest Files (Game Lavel Loads, All Other Apps, My "Keepable" Download Storage Folders And Encryped Volume Are All Read From And Written To The WD800s In The Hardware Raid-0 Bulk Storage Array.

Just tossing in my two cents man - my job is nothing but storage and its just not something I'd do or recommend....

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Nah, It Nothing Like That (Thats Funny Though) I Just Wanted Opinion And Suggestions, And Hell Just A General Discussion, I Wish Some Pepole Would Also Post Some Detailed Specifications Here As Well

I Know My System Is The Sh*t But Its Not The Best By A Long Shot, Ive Seen Faster And Better Looking, But Im Sure In My State That Im In The Top 10 Overall Rating... My Last System Was Officially

DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
LOL, Grammer Shmammer Its My Typing That Sucks I End Up Hitting Keys That I Dont Want

Cool rig. But if you struggle to use the keyboard; does the rest of the hardware just sit there and accumulate dust?

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Give yourself a pat on the back, you've reached the unreachable, you've managed the unmanageable, you've built a home computer. wow.

all hail the hella-d.

Ever heard the theory about how males see their cars as the extension of their manhood? I kinda believe it. Most of the time I see someone drive a big-ass SUV, its some small balding fella, whose head won't even reach above the roof of his car when he gets out.

Don't you think the same is happening in the world of hardware?
"Hey, look at me, I feel deficient deep inside, but that's ok, I'll just go brag about this cool PC that I have"

I'm sick of all of your "critique-my-build-how's-this-rig-what-do-you-think-of-my-system-is-my-8800gtx-any-good" posts