profile

can you copy osmeones profile folder and then paste it and then rename the
profile folder lets say test then create a user account named test. Then when
the user test logs on will the profile be the sam a the one you copied it
from and have everything still work?

I don't think so, but what you can do is:

1. Make sure you can view hidden folders and go to c:\documents and settings
2. Rename "Default User" folder to "Default User Backup"
3. Copy/Paste the user profile folder you want to copy.
4. Rename the profile folder to "Default User"

All new profiles made will be created from the Default User profile.

Hope that helps,
Andy

From: "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com>

| can you copy osmeones profile folder and then paste it and then rename the
| profile folder lets say test then create a user account named test. Then when
| the user test logs on will the profile be the sam a the one you copied it
| from and have everything still work?

You have the right idea only backwards. It won't work your way becuase there will be a SID
problem.

Lets assume th source is...
C:\Documents and Settings\dave

Have the user TEST logon
C:\Documents and Settings\test

Now copy everthing in
C:\Documents and Settings\dave
C:\Documents and Settings\test
but NOT
C:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat

If you do NOT exclude
C:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat
When you are logged on as TEST you will have to run Regedit and change all occurances of...
C:\Documents and Settings\dave
C:\Documents and Settings\test

If you are doing this for default settings then you are going about it all wrong and should
be copying a fully setup and configured profile onto
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

Then when a new user logs on and creates a profile it will inherit the settings in the
"Default User" profile.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: "AndyVM" <AndyVM@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I don't think so, but what you can do is:
|
| 1. Make sure you can view hidden folders and go to c:\documents and settings
| 2. Rename "Default User" folder to "Default User Backup"
| 3. Copy/Paste the user profile folder you want to copy.
| 4. Rename the profile folder to "Default User"
|
| All new profiles made will be created from the Default User profile.
|
| Hope that helps,
| Andy
|
| "sthompson" wrote:

I think that is bad advice.the "Default User" profile construct should be left as indftended
by Mcrosoft.

I think this tactic will cause SID problems to say the least.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Your right, bad approach... Back from my NT days.

Here is the recommend way:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319974

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "AndyVM" <AndyVM@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | I don't think so, but what you can do is:
> |
> | 1. Make sure you can view hidden folders and go to c:\documents and settings
> | 2. Rename "Default User" folder to "Default User Backup"
> | 3. Copy/Paste the user profile folder you want to copy.
> | 4. Rename the profile folder to "Default User"
> |
> | All new profiles made will be created from the Default User profile.
> |
> | Hope that helps,
> | Andy
> |
> | "sthompson" wrote:
> |

> I think that is bad advice.the "Default User" profile construct should be left as indftended
> by Mcrosoft.
>
> I think this tactic will cause SID problems to say the least.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Latest posts