Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Duo's......how long will they be around?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2006 2:46:37 AM

Hey all, just want to say great forums, I am learning a lot of great things here.

Anyway, I am planning to build a C2D system here pretty soon. I plan to do some moderate gaming on it, and the system will primarily consist of the E6300, a Radeon x1900GT, a Gigabyte DS3 mobo, and about 1.5 GB of PC2-667 Ram.

However, I am well aware that Windows Vista is around the corner. I am also aware that DirectX 10 is about to be released. I want to build a system now that will be ready for Vista, and I also want a system where I will be able to easily upgrade my GPU to handle DirectX 10 games like Crysis and UT 2007.

Is the Core 2 Duo E6300 the CPU I want for the job? I am on a budget, and although I have swapped out parts of a PC before, this will be my first PC that I build. I also don't know a whole lot about over clocking, and chances are, despite how easy it may be with this CPU, I won't give it a go.

So, what is the future like for the E6300? Can this thing handle Vista, and can I rely on this CPU to give me decent performance for future DirectX 10 games?

More about : core duo long

December 28, 2006 2:57:54 AM

well first of all they will be around for a long time as from the looks of things intel are dropping nearly everything but them and making tons more next year.

also next eyar the E6300 is going to become E6320 which is same but 4mb cache and cheaper, also there is a cheaper version coming out that will have 800 fsb and multiplier or 8 (rumoured to be a real good overclocker).

So if your looking to buy a new system id wait till jan/feb time when price cuts happen and buy then.

Hope that helped
December 28, 2006 2:58:56 AM

also dont get 1.5 gb of ram as most motherboards you need to have pairs of memory for dual channel to work so 2 sticks of 512 for 1 gig or 2 sticks of 1 gig for 2 gig etc.
Related resources
December 28, 2006 3:06:48 AM

"ntel will change sockets in 2008 (but will not stop making the 775s for a long while), so in 2008 you could be looking at some really good bargains on the 775 C2Ds and C2Qs. I suspect if you go this route you have a good 2-3 years of forward drop in compatibility with future C2D/Q revisions"

damn was just about to mention the socket change lol
December 28, 2006 3:30:22 AM

If you go by the architectural changes to Intel processors by their numbering system and consider the Core2 a P12 then they will probably drop the name someplace around P25 or P26. That is if their marketing team repeats their P4 campaign. :roll:
December 28, 2006 3:47:00 AM

The DS3 is a fine choice for OCing. Works great for me. You could even save a few $ if you go with the S3, identical to the DS3 except ot doesn't use the more expensive solid capacitors tha put the Durable in DS3.
December 28, 2006 5:07:14 AM

I'm pretty sure the significant price drops will appear in Q2 2007 with the arrival of the E4400, which I'd guess to mean around June.
December 28, 2006 5:31:14 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the significant price drops will appear in Q2 2007 with the arrival of the E4400, which I'd guess to mean around June.

I'm still trying to find out when the E4400 and E4200 are coming out. If you have a link can you provide it.

My friend at Intel has confirmed that the E4300 will be release Jan 17th. I have seen a foil that show it. The E2xxx and even a Q6400 on it. Just no release dates for them.
December 28, 2006 9:01:49 AM

The Core 2 line is currently expected to be around until Dec. 21, 2012. That is the day that the Mayan calendar ends, and so will the Earth. :twisted:
December 28, 2006 9:53:32 AM

Quote:
The DS3 is a fine choice for OCing. Works great for me. You could even save a few $ if you go with the S3, identical to the DS3 except ot doesn't use the more expensive solid capacitors tha put the Durable in DS3.

LOL you sound like a marketeer. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2006 10:29:33 AM

Quote:
If you go by the architectural changes to Intel processors by their numbering system and consider the Core2 a P12 then they will probably drop the name someplace around P25 or P26. That is if their marketing team repeats their P4 campaign. :roll:

Conroe if anything is P8?
December 28, 2006 10:39:03 AM

Quote:
well first of all they will be around for a long time as from the looks of things intel are dropping nearly everything but them and making tons more next year.

also next eyar the E6300 is going to become E6320 which is same but 4mb cache and cheaper, also there is a cheaper version coming out that will have 800 fsb and multiplier or 8 (rumoured to be a real good overclocker).

So if your looking to buy a new system id wait till jan/feb time when price cuts happen and buy then.

Hope that helped

Not sure how reliable this source is, but if it's anything like the English used, then it's probably worthless... Still... it's enough to make me hold back a while before I upgrade.
December 28, 2006 10:40:52 AM

Quote:

I'm still trying to find out when the E4400 and E4200 are coming out. If you have a link can you provide it.

My friend at Intel has confirmed that the E4300 will be release Jan 17th. I have seen a foil that show it. The E2xxx and even a Q6400 on it. Just no release dates for them.

o rly?

Interesting... Does that mean that there'll be a price drop for the E6xxx line at that time do you think?
December 28, 2006 10:47:27 AM

Quote:

I've heard that in 2008, Intel will be rebranding the Core2 line as "Pentium", just like the original, which would be very confusing. They should call it Pentium^5 or something :p 
December 28, 2006 11:08:26 AM

Quote:
I've heard that in 2008, Intel will be rebranding the Core2 line as "Pentium", just like the original, which would be very confusing. They should call it Pentium^5 or something :p 

Actually there is truth to that rumour as I heard that in 2009, they'll be rebranding it once again, to "386". :lol: 

I'm really looking forward to seeing if that Jan 17 date will really mark the launch of the E4300 and the subsequent launch of a significant portion of the AMD board from their skyscraper windows. :twisted:
December 28, 2006 5:05:39 PM

if your going with a e6300...get the ds3 hands down

ive got onee its pure awesome lol i<33333333 it!!!

look at my overclocking i did on stock cooling in my sig
December 28, 2006 7:06:30 PM

Quote:
Depends on the budget. I would suggest the following strategy.

Choose a decent MB with decent OC potential. I presonally have had good experience with the Asus P5B Deluxe, though you can get the cheaper P5B version with is essentially the deluxe without the wireless networking capability. This board with OC the CPU easily.

Choose a decent fan -- Artic Freezer Pro 7 is an outstanding fan for the money and will allow you good OCs.

Go with the E6300, or better yet, wait until the E4300 and the price drops in Feb-March. Also, this will allow you some time to look into Vista and read the reviews .... there is no rush to get into Vista immediately, and DX10 games are a ways away.

The 775 socket/965 chipset will support C2D now (Conroe) and C2Qs (now and future cheaper versions), and likely Penryn (the 45 nm shrink of C2Ds due out Q3-Q4 timeframe 2007. That way, you have a decent upgrade path if you so choose over the next year or two.

Intel will change sockets in 2008 (but will not stop making the 775s for a long while), so in 2008 you could be looking at some really good bargains on the 775 C2Ds and C2Qs. I suspect if you go this route you have a good 2-3 years of forward drop in compatibility with future C2D/Q revisions.

Next, if DX10 gaming is your cup of tea, wait until the R600 comes out and the competition starts to drive the top end cards down in price. If the R600 comes out exceeding the G80 from nVidia, then you are in for one heck of an experience as the G80 is just stellar at this point.

Finally, if you do go for the low end C2D -- do not be afraid to overclock it.... these suckers are overclocking very very easily, so with an E4300 you could likely reach E6600 type speeds (at stock) without any issue.

Very sound informantion and advice.
December 28, 2006 7:49:30 PM

the main problem is the newer Conroes will be FSB of 1333 which to my knowledge the only chipset that supports FSB of 1333 is The new Nforce or ATIs RD600 Chipset (HOWEVER there are rumors of some Motherboards gettng bios update to support 1333 FSB)

plus that and the fact
INTEL doesn't officially have a QC with a 1333 fsb. It may be a "stretch" as INTEL puts it. It may not happen at all with that architecture. They are currently working on those possibilities with the Seaburg. For now, it's going to be 1066 with anything that you get, up until mid-2007, at the earliest. INTEL is also introducing new chipsets next year. The i975x is going to be replaced by the X38, which is pretty much a glorified 975, except it will offer two full PCIex16 slots and fully support any CPU with a 1333. The irons are obviously in the fire. The 965s are going to be replaced with the P35, G33-4 & 5. The P35 being the non-onboard graphix version. Lots of changes ahead in '07!

X38 is also going to be using DDR31333 as its memory standard.
December 28, 2006 7:53:50 PM

I am 99% sure that 1333/45nm chips won't work on current platforms, pulling that out of my..head :D 

There are Xeon quads with 1333. It is not an arch problem.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2006 8:21:55 PM

the way AMD is sitting around doing things and delaying things, it will be here for quite some time...
December 28, 2006 11:37:17 PM

Quote:
the way AMD is sitting around doing things and delaying things, it will be here for quite some time...

I think AMD will be in the backwater for a year or two :( 

They will have too come up with some radical new design to compete with Intel now or drop prices substancially.

But who knows what AMD is doing now, they seem too be very quiet :wink:
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2006 6:32:47 AM

Quote:

I think AMD will be in the backwater for a year or two :( 

They will have too come up with some radical new design to compete with Intel now or drop prices substancially.

atm, yeah they are fcuked for a year or two - look at the recent releases - 65nm (delayed and wtf - its here APPARENTLY, and even so, no new high end models and same power/heat and lower performance???), and then theres the "quad core" amd (heh and to think amd had a go at intels dual die idea, atleast its in one package lol) - 4x4 = wtf, twice the memory bandwidth does nothing either and so much for scalibility :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  , and K8L - L for late or what, where the hell is it?

On the other hand intel had its prescott and double trouble and look where they are... on the other hand they had the already proven p6 design and the israle team to back em and get them back in the game so.

We shall see
December 29, 2006 6:44:20 AM

Quote:

You would be quiet too if you got your a$$ kicked whenever you stuck your head out of your cave.

Quote:
K8L - L for late or what, where the hell is it?

L for late. Good one!
December 30, 2006 11:14:24 PM

Quote:
the main problem is the newer Conroes will be FSB of 1333 which to my knowledge the only chipset that supports FSB of 1333 is The new Nforce or ATIs RD600 Chipset (HOWEVER there are rumors of some Motherboards gettng bios update to support 1333 FSB)

plus that and the fact
INTEL doesn't officially have a QC with a 1333 fsb. It may be a "stretch" as INTEL puts it. It may not happen at all with that architecture. They are currently working on those possibilities with the Seaburg. For now, it's going to be 1066 with anything that you get, up until mid-2007, at the earliest. INTEL is also introducing new chipsets next year. The i975x is going to be replaced by the X38, which is pretty much a glorified 975, except it will offer two full PCIex16 slots and fully support any CPU with a 1333. The irons are obviously in the fire. The 965s are going to be replaced with the P35, G33-4 & 5. The P35 being the non-onboard graphix version. Lots of changes ahead in '07!

X38 is also going to be using DDR31333 as its memory standard.

This is the reason I justify getting an Asus Striker Extreme as it has 1333FSB and two full PCIx16 slots. As its my first PCI Express motherboard I may as well be sorted for two main upgrades I plan late on in 2007, namely a 1333FSB processor and another 8800GTX. It would be great if a quad core processor appears at 1333FSB for a good price.
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2006 11:44:15 PM

Quote:

You would be quiet too if you got your a$$ kicked whenever you stuck your head out of your cave.

Quote:
K8L - L for late or what, where the hell is it?

L for late. Good one!

8)
!