Dissociating a file type

I renamed a .ZIP file to .XYZ and wanted to see if I could still open it
with WinZIP. I double-clicked in Windows Explorer and of course the
"Open With..." dialog came up and I chose "WinZIP" for "Choose the
program you want to use." After clicking OK I realized that I'd
UNintentionally left the "Always Use This Program to Open these files"
checkbox checked. I didn't really mean to do that.

If I double-click my XYZ file, it still loads WinZIP so it's still
associated somehow. I would like to dissociate extension 'XYZ' from
WinZIP. But when I go into Windows Explorer and choose Tools | Folder
Options | File Types tab, I don't see the 'XYZ' extension in the list of
Registered File Types. Any thoughts on how to do this?

On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:54:49 -0400, Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:

>I renamed a .ZIP file to .XYZ and wanted to see if I could still open it
>with WinZIP. I double-clicked in Windows Explorer and of course the
>"Open With..." dialog came up and I chose "WinZIP" for "Choose the
>program you want to use." After clicking OK I realized that I'd
>UNintentionally left the "Always Use This Program to Open these files"
>checkbox checked. I didn't really mean to do that.
>
>If I double-click my XYZ file, it still loads WinZIP so it's still
>associated somehow. I would like to dissociate extension 'XYZ' from
>WinZIP. But when I go into Windows Explorer and choose Tools | Folder
>Options | File Types tab, I don't see the 'XYZ' extension in the list of
>Registered File Types. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Open a CMD.EXE window and type:

assoc .XYZ

Then type
assoc .XYZ=

Open any folder & click the TOOLS menu & choose FOLDER OPTIONS

Click the FILE TYPES tab, scroll down to your XYZ file extension. You can
either delete it or change which program opens it. When finished, click
APPLY then click OK

I hope this helps

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

In article <#OmGt75WFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, crouchie1998
@spamcop.net says...
> Open any folder & click the TOOLS menu & choose FOLDER OPTIONS
>
> Click the FILE TYPES tab, scroll down to your XYZ file extension. You can
> either delete it or change which program opens it. When finished, click
> APPLY then click OK
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Thanks much -- but like I said the 'XYZ' exension doesn't appear in the
list of Registered File Types. Yet it clearly is associated with WinZIP
somehow. It's puzzling.

Rick Charnes wrote:
> In article <#OmGt75WFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, crouchie1998
> @spamcop.net says...
>
>>Open any folder & click the TOOLS menu & choose FOLDER OPTIONS
>>
>>Click the FILE TYPES tab, scroll down to your XYZ file extension. You can
>>either delete it or change which program opens it. When finished, click
>>APPLY then click OK
>>
>>I hope this helps
>>
>>Crouchie1998
>>BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
>>

> Thanks much -- but like I said the 'XYZ' exension doesn't appear in the
> list of Registered File Types. Yet it clearly is associated with WinZIP
> somehow. It's puzzling.

The "assoc" and "ftype" command line utilities are invaluable and
everyone should know how to use them.

To find out the association for .xyz run
assoc .xyz

To change the association for .xyz run
assoc .xyz=OtherFileType
where OtherFileType is the file type of your choice.

To clear the association for .xyz run
assoc .xyz=

Same general subject, but a different problem. From a DOS box, I type
foo.dsw, MSDev is launched (as it should be). If I double click on a .dsw
file, it opens the file in my text editor.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

Thanks. When I type ASSOC .XYZ it tells me:

"File association not found for extension .xyz"

Yet when I look at my file's properties in Windows Explorer right in the
General tab it does tell me that it opens with WinZIP.

Just as a test I went ahead and changed it there so that it opens with
Notepad instead (brings up junk of course). But I can't get it to have
NO file association which is what I want.

I wonder why ASSOC can't find the associaton...