Slow performance on Dell Latitude CPI

Just reformat my hd and installed Win2000 Prof. Still getting slow
performance. No other sw installed - just the OS to make sure that no hidden
apps is affecting perf). When shutting down, 4 visible, slow, vertical, gray
panel paints from left to right indicating very slow performance. What hw, sw
or bios configuration can I set to make it faster?

Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256 MB RAM, only Win 2000 Prof installed, 6 GB HD.
Yes this is an older model and I recalled that it used to work faster than
it did now.

dl

Perhaps you need to visit dell site to ensure you have win2k drivers for
your hw
Your cpu isnt throttled down, due to fan problems?
Your bios is set to defaults? and correctly identifying mem and cpu?
How much free space is there?

"RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just reformat my hd and installed Win2000 Prof. Still getting slow
> performance. No other sw installed - just the OS to make sure that no
hidden
> apps is affecting perf). When shutting down, 4 visible, slow, vertical,
gray
> panel paints from left to right indicating very slow performance. What hw,
sw
> or bios configuration can I set to make it faster?
>
> Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256 MB RAM, only Win 2000 Prof installed, 6 GB
HD.
> Yes this is an older model and I recalled that it used to work faster than
> it did now.

> Perhaps you need to visit dell site to ensure you have win2k drivers for
> your hw
----
I will do that.

> Your cpu isnt throttled down, due to fan problems?
----
No, fan is running, aptop isnt hot to touch.

> Your bios is set to defaults? and correctly identifying mem and cpu?
----
Yes, did not touch BIOS at all. Should I adjust anything?

> How much free space is there?

----
4+ GB after OS install.

Any other things I could look at?

> "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just reformat my hd and installed Win2000 Prof. Still getting slow
> > performance. No other sw installed - just the OS to make sure that no
> hidden
> > apps is affecting perf). When shutting down, 4 visible, slow, vertical,
> gray
> > panel paints from left to right indicating very slow performance. What hw,
> sw
> > or bios configuration can I set to make it faster?
> >
> > Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256 MB RAM, only Win 2000 Prof installed, 6 GB
> HD.
> > Yes this is an older model and I recalled that it used to work faster than
> > it did now.

dl

Task Mngr performance show any high cpu? (when sys is idle)
Your pc on the internet? run an online AV scan?

> > Perhaps you need to visit dell site to ensure you have win2k drivers for
> > your hw
> ----
> I will do that.
>
> > Your cpu isnt throttled down, due to fan problems?
> ----
> No, fan is running, aptop isnt hot to touch.
>
> > Your bios is set to defaults? and correctly identifying mem and cpu?
> ----
> Yes, did not touch BIOS at all. Should I adjust anything?
>
> > How much free space is there?
> >
> ----
> 4+ GB after OS install.
>
> Any other things I could look at?
>
> > "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just reformat my hd and installed Win2000 Prof. Still getting slow
> > > performance. No other sw installed - just the OS to make sure that no
> > hidden
> > > apps is affecting perf). When shutting down, 4 visible, slow,
vertical,
> > gray
> > > panel paints from left to right indicating very slow performance. What
hw,
> > sw
> > > or bios configuration can I set to make it faster?
> > >
> > > Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256 MB RAM, only Win 2000 Prof installed,
6 GB
> > HD.
> > > Yes this is an older model and I recalled that it used to work faster
than
> > > it did now.

No high cpu usage except when initially opening Task Mgr - says System Idle
Process 80% but it goes down to 2-4% within a few seconds.

Yes, the laptop is on the internet now.
In the past I have ran adaware personal ed and found nothing suspicious
other than a few tracking cookies. I have not installed any other sw on it
yet as I want to be able to debug on a fairly clean system.

Any other hints?

"DL" wrote:

> Task Mngr performance show any high cpu? (when sys is idle)
> Your pc on the internet? run an online AV scan?
>
> "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Perhaps you need to visit dell site to ensure you have win2k drivers for
> > > your hw
> > ----
> > I will do that.
> >
> > > Your cpu isnt throttled down, due to fan problems?
> > ----
> > No, fan is running, aptop isnt hot to touch.
> >
> > > Your bios is set to defaults? and correctly identifying mem and cpu?
> > ----
> > Yes, did not touch BIOS at all. Should I adjust anything?
> >
> > > How much free space is there?
> > >
> > ----
> > 4+ GB after OS install.
> >
> > Any other things I could look at?
> >
> > > "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hidden
> vertical,
> > > gray
> hw,
> > > sw

> 6 GB
> > > HD.
> than

dl

To be safe you could try an online scan from Symantec or Kaspersky - I some
how think you will be clear.
Other than my initial thoughts that your cpu could be throttled down for
some reason. You should perhaps recheck your bios settings to confirm they
are the default settings, even if you have not previously ammended them. On
one of my sys, if the sys suffers a 'glitch' occassionally the fsb is
throttled back and I have to manually reset it.

> No high cpu usage except when initially opening Task Mgr - says System
Idle
> Process 80% but it goes down to 2-4% within a few seconds.
>
> Yes, the laptop is on the internet now.
> In the past I have ran adaware personal ed and found nothing suspicious
> other than a few tracking cookies. I have not installed any other sw on it
> yet as I want to be able to debug on a fairly clean system.
>
> Any other hints?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > Task Mngr performance show any high cpu? (when sys is idle)
> > Your pc on the internet? run an online AV scan?
> >
> > "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > ----
> > > I will do that.

> > > ----
> > > No, fan is running, aptop isnt hot to touch.

> > > ----
> > > Yes, did not touch BIOS at all. Should I adjust anything?

> > > ----
> > > 4+ GB after OS install.
> > >
> > > Any other things I could look at?

> > vertical,
What
> > hw,

> > 6 GB
> > than

Thanks DL.

So, what BIOS settings should I check for, especially for the cpu not to be
throttled down.

I know what you mean by a glitch-my other desktop's
winnt\system32\config\system file just got corrupted yesterday and I have to
recover it from a previous state.

thx

"DL" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > > > performance. No other sw installed -
> just the OS to make sure that
> no
>   > > > > hidden
>   > > > > > apps is affecting perf). When shutting
> down, 4 visible, slow,
>  > > vertical,
>   > > > > gray
>   > > > > > panel paints from left to right
> indicating very slow performance.
> What
>  > > hw,
>   > > > > sw
>   > > > > > or bios configuration can I set to make
> it faster?
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256 MB RAM,
> only Win 2000 Prof
> installed,
>  > > 6 GB
>   > > > > HD.
>   > > > > > Yes this is an older model and I

What BIOS revision you running on this? A0x?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Slow-performance-Dell-Latitude-CPI-ftopict374471.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217771

Ian/AOX,

>> What BIOS revision you running on this? A0x?
---
I am running BIOS A09. I presume this is old. If so, which version should I
be on? A link to the right BIOS version would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I will download the diagnostic pack today and try to see if anything is
failing/has failed.

"ianw1974" wrote:

> "DL" wrote:
> > To be safe you could try an online scan from Symantec or
> > Kaspersky - I some
> > how think you will be clear.
> > Other than my initial thoughts that your cpu could be
> > throttled down for
> > some reason. You should perhaps recheck your bios settings to
> > confirm they
> > are the default settings, even if you have not previously
> > ammended them. On
> > one of my sys, if the sys suffers a 'glitch' occassionally the
> > fsb is
> > throttled back and I have to manually reset it.
> >
> > "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No high cpu usage except when initially opening Task Mgr -
> > says System
> > Idle
> > > Process 80% but it goes down to 2-4% within a few seconds.
> > >
> > > Yes, the laptop is on the internet now.
> > > In the past I have ran adaware personal ed and found nothing
> > suspicious
> > > other than a few tracking cookies. I have not installed any
> > other sw on it
> > > yet as I want to be able to debug on a fairly clean system.
> > >
> > > Any other hints?

> > is idle)

> > message

> > ensure you have win2k drivers
> > for

> > problems?

> > correctly identifying mem and cpu?
> > adjust anything?

> > wrote in message

> > Win2000 Prof. Still getting slow
> > just the OS to make sure that
> > no
> > down, 4 visible, slow,
> > indicating very slow performance.
> > What
> > it faster?

> > only Win 2000 Prof
> > installed,
> > recalled that it used to work
> > faster
> > > > > >

> What BIOS revision you running on this? A0x?

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Slow-performance-Dell-Latitude-CPI-ftopict374471.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217771

dl

You need to check bios 'advanced chipset features'
particularly cpu external freq. (Its this that gets throttled back if my sys
has a glych) and other cpu settings
possibly also your memory settings.
However whether the dell site will state what optimum settings are is
another matter
You will of course get better results with win2k with 512mb memory,
particularly if you have onboard video.

> Thanks DL.
>
> So, what BIOS settings should I check for, especially for the cpu not to
be
> throttled down.
>
> I know what you mean by a glitch-my other desktop's
> winnt\system32\config\system file just got corrupted yesterday and I have
> recover it from a previous state.
>
> thx
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > To be safe you could try an online scan from Symantec or Kaspersky - I
some
> > how think you will be clear.
> > Other than my initial thoughts that your cpu could be throttled down for
> > some reason. You should perhaps recheck your bios settings to confirm
they
> > are the default settings, even if you have not previously ammended them.
On
> > one of my sys, if the sys suffers a 'glitch' occassionally the fsb is
> > throttled back and I have to manually reset it.
> >
> > "RT" <RT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No high cpu usage except when initially opening Task Mgr - says System
> > Idle
> > > Process 80% but it goes down to 2-4% within a few seconds.
> > >
> > > Yes, the laptop is on the internet now.
> > > In the past I have ran adaware personal ed and found nothing
suspicious
> > > other than a few tracking cookies. I have not installed any other sw
on it
> > > yet as I want to be able to debug on a fairly clean system.
> > >
> > > Any other hints?

> > for

> > no
> > What

> > installed,
> > faster

dl

You have a Dell sys, you need to go to Dell site,support and enter your sys
code to get the relevant updates

"user5609" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > > > > sw
>   > > > > > > > or bios configuration can I set
> to make
>  > > it faster?
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Details: Dell Latitude Cpi, 256
> MB RAM,
>  > > only Win 2000 Prof
>  > > installed,
>   > > > > 6 GB
>   > > > > > > HD.
>   > > > > > > > Yes this is an older model and I
>  > > recalled that it used to work
>  > > faster
>   > > > > than
>   > > > > > > > it did now.
>   > > > >
>   > > > >
>   > > > >
> >
> > What BIOS revision you running on this? A0x?

I had a Dell CPT and that was running Bios A16 after I upgraded it.
They are available for download from Dell’s website.