User permissions audit tools.

I just took over as Network administrator for a company with under 50
employees. The previous N.A. didn't use groups and gave users access
depending on their department, etc. What I would like to do is setup groups
for easier maintenence. Is there a utility, either MS or third party, that
will give me each users access rights and permissions to directories and
folders on a 2000 server? If I can only get the directories, that is fine,
but if I can get all information, that would be great.

Thank you.

Frank

Royce

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

this might be helpful...

for /f "tokens=*" %i in ('dir/s/ad/b') do @cacls "%i" >>permissions.txt

"Frank Baisch" <Frank Baisch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just took over as Network administrator for a company with under 50
> employees. The previous N.A. didn't use groups and gave users access
> depending on their department, etc. What I would like to do is setup
groups
> for easier maintenence. Is there a utility, either MS or third party,
that
> will give me each users access rights and permissions to directories and
> folders on a 2000 server? If I can only get the directories, that is
fine,
> but if I can get all information, that would be great.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Frank

cacls.exe will do what you want. The syntax to just read the permissions
is:

cacls [path] /t

where [path] is the path to the directory you want to look at. For
instance:

cacls c:\ /t

will show you all the permissions for every file on the c:\ drive.

SA

TRENDING THREADS