Wireless-G Internet Video Camera

Hello

I want to buy a wireless camera, I was thinking about the Linksys Wireless-G
Internet Video Camera.
Does anyone use this cam, is it good, or does someone know a better one ?

I want to use it in my wireless network.
My network is 802.11b and the cam works with 802.11g. Will it work ???

Thank you
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless internet video camera

    In message <42c3cc68$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
    writes
    >Barbara Desmedt wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I want to buy a wireless camera, I was thinking about the Linksys
    >>Wireless-G Internet Video Camera.
    >> Does anyone use this cam, is it good, or does someone know a better one ?
    >> I want to use it in my wireless network.
    >> My network is 802.11b and the cam works with 802.11g. Will it work ???
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >Try this link. It is the Product guide for the camera in PDF format.
    >In part, it says: "Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.3, IEEE
    >802.3u".
    >ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/wvc54g-ds-Rev_NC.pdf

    Picture not bad, but poor in low light compared to others.

    I have had real problems with the SoloLink service which is meant to
    enable you to make the picture available to be viewed with a web browser
    even if you have a dynamic ip address.

    Haven't tried it wirelessly but should work on 802.11b

    For sample picture see www.cluer.com/webcam

    --

    -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --
    Graham Cluer | Email: news1 <at> cluer <dot> com

    (If replying by e-mail please make the above into a legal email address)

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:52 GMT, Graham Cluer <n@x.x> wrote:

    >In message <42c3cc68$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
    >writes
    >>Barbara Desmedt wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> I want to buy a wireless camera, I was thinking about the Linksys
    >>>Wireless-G Internet Video Camera.
    >>> Does anyone use this cam, is it good, or does someone know a better one ?
    >>> I want to use it in my wireless network.
    >>> My network is 802.11b and the cam works with 802.11g. Will it work ???
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>Try this link. It is the Product guide for the camera in PDF format.
    >>In part, it says: "Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.3, IEEE
    >>802.3u".
    >>ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/wvc54g-ds-Rev_NC.pdf
    >
    >Picture not bad, but poor in low light compared to others.
    >
    >I have had real problems with the SoloLink service which is meant to
    >enable you to make the picture available to be viewed with a web browser
    >even if you have a dynamic ip address.
    >
    >Haven't tried it wirelessly but should work on 802.11b
    >
    >For sample picture see www.cluer.com/webcam

    Looks like it wants to install an OCX application on the viewing
    computer. Maybe ok for local system viewing, but not a favorite
    thing to do for viewing by the general web public.

    Si Ballenger wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:52 GMT, Graham Cluer <n@x.x> wrote:
    >

    >>In message <42c3cc68$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
    >>writes

    >>>Try this link. It is the Product guide for the camera in PDF format.
    >>>In part, it says: "Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.3, IEEE
    >>>802.3u".
    >>>ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/wvc54g-ds-Rev_NC.pdf
    >>
    >>Picture not bad, but poor in low light compared to others.
    >>
    >>I have had real problems with the SoloLink service which is meant to
    >>enable you to make the picture available to be viewed with a web browser
    >>even if you have a dynamic ip address.
    >>
    >>Haven't tried it wirelessly but should work on 802.11b
    >>
    >>For sample picture see www.cluer.com/webcam
    >

    > Looks like it wants to install an OCX application on the viewing
    > computer. Maybe ok for local system viewing, but not a favorite
    > thing to do for viewing by the general web public.

    Good point Si, not everyone likes having things like that installed, It
    does need to install something. also, the Linksys cameras only appear to
    work when using Internet Explorer. Under Firefox they only display the
    Linksys page without the image.
    As Graham has pointed out also, the image quality is only so-so under
    low light conditions...typical of CMOS cameras.
    Barbara, you may want to check the price and see if your budget can
    stretch to a CCD camera if you are going to use it in low light conditions.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    What is a CCD camera ?
    Where can I find that ?

    "kim" <relique_50@yahoo.com.au> schreef in bericht
    > Si Ballenger wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:52 GMT, Graham Cluer <n@x.x> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In message <42c3cc68$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
    >>>writes

    >>>Picture not bad, but poor in low light compared to others.
    >>>
    >>>I have had real problems with the SoloLink service which is meant to
    >>>enable you to make the picture available to be viewed with a web browser
    >>>even if you have a dynamic ip address.
    >>>
    >>>Haven't tried it wirelessly but should work on 802.11b
    >>>
    >>>For sample picture see www.cluer.com/webcam
    >>

    >> Looks like it wants to install an OCX application on the viewing
    >> computer. Maybe ok for local system viewing, but not a favorite
    >> thing to do for viewing by the general web public.
    >>
    > Good point Si, not everyone likes having things like that installed, It
    > does need to install something. also, the Linksys cameras only appear to
    > work when using Internet Explorer. Under Firefox they only display the
    > Linksys page without the image.
    > As Graham has pointed out also, the image quality is only so-so under low
    > light conditions...typical of CMOS cameras.
    > Barbara, you may want to check the price and see if your budget can
    > stretch to a CCD camera if you are going to use it in low light
    > conditions.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "Barbara Desmedt" <barbara.Desmedt@gmail.com> wrote:
    > What is a CCD camera ?
    > Where can I find that ?

    Here is one from D-Link:

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=351

    Rudy
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Barbara Desmedt wrote:
    > What is a CCD camera ?
    > Where can I find that ?
    >

    > "kim" <relique_50@yahoo.com.au> schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Si Ballenger wrote:

    >>>Looks like it wants to install an OCX application on the viewing
    >>>computer. Maybe ok for local system viewing, but not a favorite
    >>>thing to do for viewing by the general web public.
    >>>

    >>Good point Si, not everyone likes having things like that installed, It
    >>does need to install something. also, the Linksys cameras only appear to
    >>work when using Internet Explorer. Under Firefox they only display the
    >>Linksys page without the image.
    >>As Graham has pointed out also, the image quality is only so-so under low
    >>light conditions...typical of CMOS cameras.
    >>Barbara, you may want to check the price and see if your budget can
    >>stretch to a CCD camera if you are going to use it in low light
    >>conditions.

    CCD (Charge Coupled Device) and CMOS (Complimentry Metal Oxide
    Semiconductor) refer to the image sensor in the camera. Cameras that use
    a CCD as the image sensor produce a better image than ones that use a
    CMOS sensor, particularly in low light, but they are more expensive. An
    article on them can be found here:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question362.htm
    This article is about digital cameras, but the info is still relevant to
    'webcams'. Technical details on the difference between the two devices
    can be found at the links at the bottom of the page.
    Possibly the 'cheapest' CCD camera is the Logitech Pro 4000, but it is
    not a network camera.
    Probably the 'best known' CCD network cameras are Axis and Mobotix, with
    Mobotix being the better of the two (in image quality), but both brands
    are very expensive. Maybe do a search for either 'Network cameras', 'IP
    cameras' or 'CCD cameras'
    There are some good quality CCD network cameras around that won't 'break
    the bank' (Axis and Mobotix would break mine!!!...especially because of
    the prices they want for them here in Australia)
    An example of the quality of them can be found here:

    Axis: http://mhirte.com/view/view.shtml

    Mobotix: http://194.129.55.90/

    Basically it it depends on how much you want to spend and what you are
    using it for. Personally, I would be happy with images of the quality
    that Graham is getting. It is also a question of finding a 'balance'
    between image quality, purpose of use and price!
    Technically, there should NOT be any difference between the quality of
    wireless or LAN images from the same camera.
    Sorry if all this has only confused you :-)

Webcams Wireless Cameras Internet Peripherals