Windows 2000 pro cant print

I have a win2k SP4 machine that has stopped printing to any remote printer on
the network. It will print a windows test page directly from the printer and
will print a test dump from a dos prompt. However it wont print from any app
such as notepad, word etc..
Tried reloading printer drivers, no joy.
Any ideas from the Gurus ? :)

"Shaughn" <Shaughn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a win2k SP4 machine that has stopped printing to any remote
>printer on
> the network. It will print a windows test page directly from the
> printer and
> will print a test dump from a dos prompt. However it wont print from
> any app
> such as notepad, word etc..
> Tried reloading printer drivers, no joy.
> Any ideas from the Gurus ? :)

Is the Spooler Service running?

to check goto
Start
Run
type
services.msc
click OK
<Services window opens>
navigate to Print Spooler
check that it's set to Automatic and it is showing as started

Also is this machine still working on the network? ie can you attach to
network shares/ping other devices? It may be that it's lost its
connection perhaps?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Thanks for response.
Can ping all other network servers. So no network issues.
Checked print spooler, its running fine, stopped/restarted it anyway. after
installing printer it can do a windows test page to the network shared
printer.
Mapped Lpt1 to shared printer and did a (dir >lpt1), it printed fine. tried
from notepad returned 'file not found' . Tried Wordpad , no error returned,
but wont print. Installed Office 2k, Word gives general printing error. Can't
do a win2k reinstall easily as it is a remote site and also is running 3rd
party app, so will need thier techie to go to site as well. (big callout
fees...)
Other ideas perhaps?

"Shaughn" wrote:
> I have a win2k SP4 machine that has stopped printing to any
> remote printer on
> the network. It will print a windows test page directly from
> the printer and
> will print a test dump from a dos prompt. However it wont
> print from any app
> such as notepad, word etc..
> Tried reloading printer drivers, no joy.
> Any ideas from the Gurus ? :)

Does the event log post back any errors when you try and do this?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Windows-2000-pro-print-ftopict374712.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217654

"Shaughn" wrote:
> Thanks for response.
> Can ping all other network servers. So no network issues.
> Checked print spooler, its running fine, stopped/restarted it
> anyway. after
> installing printer it can do a windows test page to the
> network shared
> printer.
> Mapped Lpt1 to shared printer and did a (dir >lpt1), it
> printed fine. tried
> from notepad returned 'file not found' . Tried Wordpad , no
> error returned,
> but wont print. Installed Office 2k, Word gives general
> printing error. Can't
> do a win2k reinstall easily as it is a remote site and also is
> running 3rd
> party app, so will need thier techie to go to site as well.
> (big callout
> fees...)
> Other ideas perhaps?
>
> "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > "Shaughn" <Shaughn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>  > >I have a win2k SP4 machine that has stopped printing
> to any remote
>  > >printer on
>  > > the network. It will print a windows test page
> directly from the
>  > > printer and
>  > > will print a test dump from a dos prompt. However it
> wont print from
>  > > any app
>  > > such as notepad, word etc..
>  > > Tried reloading printer drivers, no joy.
>  > > Any ideas from the Gurus ? :)
> >

> > Is the Spooler Service running?
> >
> > to check goto
> > Start
> > Run
> > type
> > services.msc
> > click OK
> > <Services window opens>
> > navigate to Print Spooler
> > check that it's set to Automatic and it is showing as
> started
> >
> > Also is this machine still working on the network? ie can
> you attach to
> > network shares/ping other devices? It may be that it's lost
> its
> > connection perhaps?
> >

> > --
> > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
> >
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

You shouldn’t normally need to assign to LPT1 unless a program
specifically is coded to use this. Used to be DOS apps that worked
this way.

How did you create the port for printing? Did you choose local port,
or network printer?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Windows-2000-pro-print-ftopict374712.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217733

Hi,
Mapping the lpt port was more of a test than anything else. It didnt prove
anything I guess apart from the fact that you can do a dump from Dos. Didn't
help to get Windows apps printing :)
Ok, I checked the event logs when I tried printing and no errors showed up.

"Shaughn" wrote:
> Hi,
> Mapping the lpt port was more of a test than anything else. It
> didnt prove
> anything I guess apart from the fact that you can do a dump
> from Dos. Didn't
> help to get Windows apps printing :)
> Ok, I checked the event logs when I tried printing and no
> errors showed up.
>
> "ianw1974" wrote:
>
> > "Shaughn" wrote:
>  > > I have a win2k SP4 machine that has stopped
> printing to any
>  > > remote printer on
>  > > the network. It will print a windows test page
> directly from
>  > > the printer and
>  > > will print a test dump from a dos prompt. However
> it wont
>  > > print from any app
>  > > such as notepad, word etc..
>  > > Tried reloading printer drivers, no joy.
>  > > Any ideas from the Gurus ? :)
> >
> > Does the event log post back any errors when you try and do
> this?
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Windows-2000-pro-print-ftopict374712.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217654

How did you create the port? As a local, or network one?