Import Users?

I just build a Windows 2003 server and need to create about 60 accounts. I
have the account names and passwords in an Excel sheet.

Is there a way to import them in? If so, how?

Thanks.

I know that _SBS_2k3 will import a _text_ list...I don't know about vanilla
W2k3

-Bruce D

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:13:19 -0700, "...Alpha" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just build a Windows 2003 server and need to create about 60 accounts. I
>have the account names and passwords in an Excel sheet.
>
>Is there a way to import them in? If so, how?
>
>Thanks.

If you open a CMD prompt on W2K3 and type:
dsadd users /?
Syntax: dsadd user <UserDN> [-samid <SAMName>] [-upn <UPN>] [-fn <FirstName>]
[-mi <Initial>] [-ln <LastName>] [-display <DisplayName>]
[-empid <EmployeeID>] [-pwd {<Password> | *}] [-desc <Description>]
[-memberof <Group ...>] [-office <Office>] [-tel <Phone#>]
[-email <Email>] [-hometel <HomePhone#>] [-pager <Pager#>]
[-mobile <CellPhone#>] [-fax <Fax#>] [-iptel <IPPhone#>]
[-webpg <WebPage>] [-title <Title>] [-dept <Department>]
[-company <Company>] [-mgr <Manager>] [-hmdir <HomeDir>]
[-hmdrv <DriveLtr:>] [-profile <ProfilePath>] [-loscr <ScriptPath>]
[-mustchpwd {yes | no}] [-canchpwd {yes | no}]
[-reversiblepwd {yes | no}] [-pwdneverexpires {yes | no}]
[-acctexpires <NumDays>] [-disabled {yes | no}]
[{-s <Server> | -d <Domain>}] [-u <UserName>]
[-p {<Password> | *}] [-q] [{-uc | -uco | -uci}]

Parameters:

Value Description
<UserDN> Required. Distinguished name (DN) of user to add.
If the target object is omitted, it will be taken
from standard input (stdin).
-samid <SAMName> Set the SAM account name of user to <SAMName>.
If not specified, dsadd will attempt
to create SAM account name using up to
the first 20 characters from the
common name (CN) value of <UserDN>.
-upn <UPN> Set the upn value to <UPN>.
-fn <FirstName> Set user first name to <FirstName>.
-mi <Initial> Set user middle initial to <Initial>.
-ln <LastName> Set user last name to <LastName>.
-display <DisplayName> Set user display name to <DisplayName>.
-empid <EmployeeID> Set user employee ID to <EmployeeID>.
-pwd {<Password> | *} Set user password to <Password>. If *, then you are
prompted for a password.
-desc <Description> Set user description to <Description>.
-memberof <Group ...> Make user a member of one or more groups <Group ...>
-office <Office> Set user office location to <Office>.
-tel <Phone#> Set user telephone# to <Phone#>.
-email <Email> Set user e-mail address to <Email>.
-hometel <HomePhone#> Set user home phone# to <HomePhone#>.
-pager <Pager#> Set user pager# to <Pager#>.
-mobile <CellPhone#> Set user mobile# to <CellPhone#>.
-fax <Fax#> Set user fax# to <Fax#>.
-iptel <IPPhone#> Set user IP phone# to <IPPhone#>.
-webpg <WebPage> Set user web page URL to <WebPage>.
-title <Title> Set user title to <Title>.
-dept <Department> Set user department to <Department>.
-company <Company> Set user company info to <Company>.
-mgr <Manager> Set user's manager to <Manager> (format is DN).
-hmdir <HomeDir> Set user home directory to <HomeDir>. If this is
UNC path, then a drive letter that will be mapped to
this path must also be specified through -hmdrv.
-hmdrv <DriveLtr:> Set user home drive letter to <DriveLtr:>
-profile <ProfilePath> Set user's profile path to <ProfilePath>.
-loscr <ScriptPath> Set user's logon script path to <ScriptPath>.
-mustchpwd {yes | no} User must change password at next logon or not.
Default: no.
-canchpwd {yes | no} User can change password or not. This should be
"yes" if the -mustchpwd is "yes". Default: yes.
-reversiblepwd {yes | no}
Store user password using reversible encryption or
not. Default: no.
-pwdneverexpires {yes | no}
User password never expires or not. Default: no.
-acctexpires <NumDays> Set user account to expire in <NumDays> days from
today. A value of 0 implies account expires
at the end of today; a positive value
implies the account expires in the future;
a negative value implies the account already expired
and sets an expiration date in the past;
the string value "never" implies that the
account never expires.
-disabled {yes | no} User account is disabled or not. Default: no.
{-s <Server> | -d <Domain>}
-s <Server> connects to the domain controller (DC)
with name <Server>.
-d <Domain> connects to a DC in domain <Domain>.
Default: a DC in the logon domain.
-u <UserName> Connect as <UserName>. Default: the logged in user.
User name can be: user name, domain\user name,
or user principal name (UPN).
-p {<Password> | *} Password for the user <UserName>. If * is entered,
then you are prompted for a password.
-q Quiet mode: suppress all output to standard output.
{-uc | -uco | -uci} -uc Specifies that input from or output to pipe is
formatted in Unicode.
-uco Specifies that output to pipe or file is
formatted in Unicode.
-uci Specifies that input from pipe or file is
formatted in Unicode.

Remarks:
If you do not supply a target object at the command prompt, the target
object is obtained from standard input (stdin). Stdin data can be
accepted from the keyboard, a redirected file, or as piped output from
another command. To mark the end of stdin data from the keyboard or
in a redirected file, use Control+Z, for End of File (EOF).

If a value that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks
around the text (for example, "CN=John Smith,CN=Users,DC=microsoft,DC=com").
If you enter multiple values, the values must be separated by spaces
(for example, a list of distinguished names).

The special token $username$ (case insensitive) may be used to place the SAM
account name in the value of a parameter. For example, if the target user DN
is CN=Jane Doe,CN=users,CN=microsoft,CN=com and the SAM account name
attribute is "janed," the -hmdir parameter can have
the following substitution:

-hmdir \users\$username$\home

The value of the -hmdir parameter is modified to the following value:

- hmdir \users\janed\home

Export the spreadsheet to a csv file and parse it with a FOR command.

Thanks. Will this work in a standalone server? It isn't part of a Domain.