Import Users?

I just build a Windows 2003 server and need to create about 60 accounts. I
have the account names and passwords in an Excel sheet.

Is there a way to import them in? If so, how?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about import users

    I know that _SBS_2k3 will import a _text_ list...I don't know about vanilla
    W2k3

    -Bruce D

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:13:19 -0700, "...Alpha" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I just build a Windows 2003 server and need to create about 60 accounts. I
    >have the account names and passwords in an Excel sheet.
    >
    >Is there a way to import them in? If so, how?
    >
    >Thanks.

    If you open a CMD prompt on W2K3 and type:
    dsadd users /?
    Syntax: dsadd user <UserDN> [-samid <SAMName>] [-upn <UPN>] [-fn <FirstName>]
    [-mi <Initial>] [-ln <LastName>] [-display <DisplayName>]
    [-empid <EmployeeID>] [-pwd {<Password> | *}] [-desc <Description>]
    [-memberof <Group ...>] [-office <Office>] [-tel <Phone#>]
    [-email <Email>] [-hometel <HomePhone#>] [-pager <Pager#>]
    [-mobile <CellPhone#>] [-fax <Fax#>] [-iptel <IPPhone#>]
    [-webpg <WebPage>] [-title <Title>] [-dept <Department>]
    [-company <Company>] [-mgr <Manager>] [-hmdir <HomeDir>]
    [-hmdrv <DriveLtr:>] [-profile <ProfilePath>] [-loscr <ScriptPath>]
    [-mustchpwd {yes | no}] [-canchpwd {yes | no}]
    [-reversiblepwd {yes | no}] [-pwdneverexpires {yes | no}]
    [-acctexpires <NumDays>] [-disabled {yes | no}]
    [{-s <Server> | -d <Domain>}] [-u <UserName>]
    [-p {<Password> | *}] [-q] [{-uc | -uco | -uci}]

    Parameters:

    Value Description
    <UserDN> Required. Distinguished name (DN) of user to add.
    If the target object is omitted, it will be taken
    from standard input (stdin).
    -samid <SAMName> Set the SAM account name of user to <SAMName>.
    If not specified, dsadd will attempt
    to create SAM account name using up to
    the first 20 characters from the
    common name (CN) value of <UserDN>.
    -upn <UPN> Set the upn value to <UPN>.
    -fn <FirstName> Set user first name to <FirstName>.
    -mi <Initial> Set user middle initial to <Initial>.
    -ln <LastName> Set user last name to <LastName>.
    -display <DisplayName> Set user display name to <DisplayName>.
    -empid <EmployeeID> Set user employee ID to <EmployeeID>.
    -pwd {<Password> | *} Set user password to <Password>. If *, then you are
    prompted for a password.
    -desc <Description> Set user description to <Description>.
    -memberof <Group ...> Make user a member of one or more groups <Group ...>
    -office <Office> Set user office location to <Office>.
    -tel <Phone#> Set user telephone# to <Phone#>.
    -email <Email> Set user e-mail address to <Email>.
    -hometel <HomePhone#> Set user home phone# to <HomePhone#>.
    -pager <Pager#> Set user pager# to <Pager#>.
    -mobile <CellPhone#> Set user mobile# to <CellPhone#>.
    -fax <Fax#> Set user fax# to <Fax#>.
    -iptel <IPPhone#> Set user IP phone# to <IPPhone#>.
    -webpg <WebPage> Set user web page URL to <WebPage>.
    -title <Title> Set user title to <Title>.
    -dept <Department> Set user department to <Department>.
    -company <Company> Set user company info to <Company>.
    -mgr <Manager> Set user's manager to <Manager> (format is DN).
    -hmdir <HomeDir> Set user home directory to <HomeDir>. If this is
    UNC path, then a drive letter that will be mapped to
    this path must also be specified through -hmdrv.
    -hmdrv <DriveLtr:> Set user home drive letter to <DriveLtr:>
    -profile <ProfilePath> Set user's profile path to <ProfilePath>.
    -loscr <ScriptPath> Set user's logon script path to <ScriptPath>.
    -mustchpwd {yes | no} User must change password at next logon or not.
    Default: no.
    -canchpwd {yes | no} User can change password or not. This should be
    "yes" if the -mustchpwd is "yes". Default: yes.
    -reversiblepwd {yes | no}
    Store user password using reversible encryption or
    not. Default: no.
    -pwdneverexpires {yes | no}
    User password never expires or not. Default: no.
    -acctexpires <NumDays> Set user account to expire in <NumDays> days from
    today. A value of 0 implies account expires
    at the end of today; a positive value
    implies the account expires in the future;
    a negative value implies the account already expired
    and sets an expiration date in the past;
    the string value "never" implies that the
    account never expires.
    -disabled {yes | no} User account is disabled or not. Default: no.
    {-s <Server> | -d <Domain>}
    -s <Server> connects to the domain controller (DC)
    with name <Server>.
    -d <Domain> connects to a DC in domain <Domain>.
    Default: a DC in the logon domain.
    -u <UserName> Connect as <UserName>. Default: the logged in user.
    User name can be: user name, domain\user name,
    or user principal name (UPN).
    -p {<Password> | *} Password for the user <UserName>. If * is entered,
    then you are prompted for a password.
    -q Quiet mode: suppress all output to standard output.
    {-uc | -uco | -uci} -uc Specifies that input from or output to pipe is
    formatted in Unicode.
    -uco Specifies that output to pipe or file is
    formatted in Unicode.
    -uci Specifies that input from pipe or file is
    formatted in Unicode.

    Remarks:
    If you do not supply a target object at the command prompt, the target
    object is obtained from standard input (stdin). Stdin data can be
    accepted from the keyboard, a redirected file, or as piped output from
    another command. To mark the end of stdin data from the keyboard or
    in a redirected file, use Control+Z, for End of File (EOF).

    If a value that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks
    around the text (for example, "CN=John Smith,CN=Users,DC=microsoft,DC=com").
    If you enter multiple values, the values must be separated by spaces
    (for example, a list of distinguished names).

    The special token $username$ (case insensitive) may be used to place the SAM
    account name in the value of a parameter. For example, if the target user DN
    is CN=Jane Doe,CN=users,CN=microsoft,CN=com and the SAM account name
    attribute is "janed," the -hmdir parameter can have
    the following substitution:

    -hmdir \users\$username$\home

    The value of the -hmdir parameter is modified to the following value:

    - hmdir \users\janed\home

    Export the spreadsheet to a csv file and parse it with a FOR command.

    Thanks. Will this work in a standalone server? It isn't part of a Domain.

    "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > If a value that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks
    > around the text (for example, "CN=John
    > Smith,CN=Users,DC=microsoft,DC=com").
    > If you enter multiple values, the values must be separated by spaces
    > (for example, a list of distinguished names).
    >
    > The special token $username$ (case insensitive) may be used to place the
    > SAM
    > account name in the value of a parameter. For example, if the target user
    > DN
    > is CN=Jane Doe,CN=users,CN=microsoft,CN=com and the SAM account name
    > attribute is "janed," the -hmdir parameter can have
    > the following substitution:
    >
    > -hmdir \users\$username$\home
    >
    > The value of the -hmdir parameter is modified to the following value:
    >
    > - hmdir \users\janed\home
    >
    > Export the spreadsheet to a csv file and parse it with a FOR command.

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Build Windows