Please help me decide

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi. I'm about to build my first system. I'm not using it for gaming, just office applications and home entertainment. My first thoughts are to use the Gigabyte-GA-965G-DS3 board with onboard graphics.

However, I'm now wondering whether a cheap and cheerful graphics card plus a Gigabyte-GA-965P-DS3 board would be better??

I'd like to know what you guys think of my options and what graphics card would be a good buy.

Cheers
Colin

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
On-board sucks all the way around. If it were AGP I'd sell you my Voodoo3 :)
A $50 7300GS would be a good mid-range solution. It's a space saver and has great 2D preformance.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Although I agree that a dedicated video card is best - since your MB has graphics - you can decide.

Build your system with the onboard and see if it sufficient for your needs. If not, get a video card. No need spending money if the onboard is good enough for your use.

Of course most folks here shun on-board video because most of us play games and such - but for MS Office - it will likely be sufficent.

I would not go overboard with a video card if you do not play games - the 7600GT is probably pleanty for anything you would do.

Cheers.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Although I agree that a dedicated video card is best - since your MB has graphics - you can decide.

Build your system with the onboard and see if it sufficient for your needs. If not, get a video card. No need spending money if the onboard is good enough for your use.

Of course most folks here shun on-board video because most of us play games and such - but for MS Office - it will likely be sufficent.

I would not go overboard with a video card if you do not play games - the 7600GT is probably pleanty for anything you would do.

Cheers.

Agreed. Although, any type of add-on card will free your CPU and memory. Sound, graphics, networking. Cleans up efficiency.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
If graphical performance really isn't an issue, then just go with onboard. My work PC is a Dell GX620 which has a 945 chipset and I/G. I can watch DVDs, play a few games (low res, details off) and it runs office apps and Photoshop etc without problems. Why spend the extra cash? Also, any card you put in is likely to be actively cooled with a fan = noise. Just go with onboard :p

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
The BFG 7600GT can be bought for $85 after MIR through Newegg but it's only good for purchases until December 31.

If you decide you don't need it, I'm sure you could sell it to someone easily for $100 or more come January 1st.

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Many thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to try the onboard graphics first then upgrade if necessary.
Cheers
Colin

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
If you decide to go with a dedicated GPU, for apps, and home entertainment, something like an X1300 series, or 7300GS would suffice. IMO a 7600GT would be overkill.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I wouldn't be too rough on the onboard Intel GMAX3000 graphics. It's quite a bit more advanced than previous onboard graphics from Intel due to it's unified shaders. It's nothing fantastic but the 3DMark06 scores I could find show it could possibly beat out THG's X1300PRO from the VGA charts depending on the resolution RegHardware used (they didn't indicate it).

The point being that the onboard GMAX3000 will be more than adequate for what the OP wants to do and at a fair price. I suspect they'll come out cheaper with the GMAX3000 than going with a GA-965P-S3 and an X1300 or 7300GS. Plus they still have the option of upgrading to a discrete card in the future.