Considerations before purchasing a new case?

ivasar

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I am building a new system, and I am stuck in the most (probably) trivial component: the case.

I am not planning to do overclocking, thus I guess I don't need very fancy desing with lots of fans and complex airflow, nor extra displays for temperatures or fan controllers.

My intention is to get a case that does its job: silent (no vibrations), efficient and looking as good as possible. I am tired of crap boxes like the Genius kits that brough all built in (case, PSU, keyboard, mouse...), so even if it's a bit more expensive I would like a good deal this time.

And while we are on it, I could also take recommendations on PSUs, considering my system won't need that much energy (no overclocking, no SLI, not a zound devices). Again, I want silence if that helps deciding.

Thanks in advance, and for all the good reading you provide in these boards!

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, you need to give some more info on what you plan to build.

Do you want to go with small form factor, micro-atx?
If not, do you want a mid or full tower?

Even not overclocking is good to have a nice air-flow in your case, it helps the system run cooler.

ivasar

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
True, my bad. I have in mind to build a regular desktop, ATX format in what I guess is a mid-tower (TACENS Audeo model is one of my available choices, btw).

I know a good air flow means a cooler system --> less noise because fans have to work less, but I meant that it's not the crucial point.

What I have in mind to get, more or less and based on availability and final budget:

CPU: Intel Core2 DUO E6400
MOBO: MSI P965 Platinum
Graphics: Radeon X1950 PRO 512Mb
HDD: Seagate 320Gb
RAM: 2x512 Corsair 800Mhz (2x1Gb if the budget allows it)
CASE: ??? (something like the TACENS Audeo, if cannot find or nobody recommends me anything better).
PSU: ??? (thinking on a TACENS Radix Smart 410W, but could not find it in the PSU chart - that's why I wanted some extra info).

I've checked the power calculator for a setup like this, and it's around 320W.

I take comments on the whole setup aswell, but I understand this is not the forum to talk about the whole lot.

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
first off all, even though all that hardware might only be rated as consuming 320 watts, you want to get a psu that can well out-do that. that way, the psu has to work less, and it lasts longer, produces a more steady stream of power to your components, reducing the risk of blowing something else out. i would recommend a psu of at least 480 watts for what you have, anything over 500 would be ideal.

as for the case, i would highly recommend the antec p180, or even their 160 if you want something a bit smaller. these are relatively quite cases, and they are very high quality. if you dont like either of these, check out some lian li cases, they are usually pretty expensive, very well designed, very good at cooling, but not very quite (unless you get one of the full tower or quiet models). silverstone cases are also pretty good.

the last thing i will leave you with is, buy a case that is bigger than you think you want. you will appreciate this later.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Assuming you choose the right form factor of case, all you should be worried about is noise and style. Read some reviews to make sure the included fans aren't too noisy (if they are and you're stuck on that case consider some new fans) and just pick something that catches your eye. The fact that you're not into OC'n means you have a good shot of having a near silent computer.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
To the point of considerations....

Size is one of the first things to consider. Most enthusiasts use a mid or a full tower case - though there are exceptions. The volume of air within a case has a big impact on the thermal environment of the system. The more volume and the rate at which you move air in and out of the case have the biggest impact on your thermal environment.

You should consider a case with at least 2-120mm fans for good airflow and silence. More fans, or the ability to add more fans is a plus - but having 120mm fans as the input and output will create a good amount of airflow and a generally quieter system. There are fans out there that are designed to be nearly silent - if this is a consideration, you will likely spend extra for these fans.

Consider USB and firewire placement on the front of the case. I would avoid anything with these on the bottom of the case - as I keep mine on the floor - I have broken a few of the little plastic doors on such models. It is best to have these connections either in the middle or the top of the case if it is intended to be on the floor - otherwise, if it is elevated, it would be ok to have them on the bottom. The point is you want to be able to have access to these without fumbling around.

Removable airfilters are a definate plus - though not a deal breaker. The P180 has these and it helps to keep a lot of the crud out of the inside of the case. Crud still gets in - but not as bad as it otherwise would.

Finally - design and engeneering. You should consider getting a solidly constructed case with as little plastic as possible. Rubberized enclosures, drive cages and removable MB trays are really nice. I would not get a new case without drive rails - as I am really tired of all those little screws.

Hopefully this has been helpful. As for the better cases on the market, I have heard wonderful praise for the Thermaltake Armor series - well built with a solid reputation. Also the Antec P180, 160, 900 are good cases to consider.

Cheers.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
True, my bad. I have in mind to build a regular desktop, ATX format in what I guess is a mid-tower (TACENS Audeo model is one of my available choices, btw).

I know a good air flow means a cooler system --> less noise because fans have to work less, but I meant that it's not the crucial point.

What I have in mind to get, more or less and based on availability and final budget:

CPU: Intel Core2 DUO E6400
MOBO: MSI P965 Platinum
Graphics: Radeon X1950 PRO 512Mb
HDD: Seagate 320Gb
RAM: 2x512 Corsair 800Mhz (2x1Gb if the budget allows it)
CASE: ??? (something like the TACENS Audeo, if cannot find or nobody recommends me anything better).
PSU: ??? (thinking on a TACENS Radix Smart 410W, but could not find it in the PSU chart - that's why I wanted some extra info).

I've checked the power calculator for a setup like this, and it's around 320W.

I take comments on the whole setup aswell, but I understand this is not the forum to talk about the whole lot.

Well, I'll start with the PSU. I'd recommend you get the OCZ GameXStream 600W. It's an excellent psu with a good price (about $100).
Your system won't need the 600W amount, but as you'll be working with about half of that, you have a higher efficiency, thus generating less heat and making your psu last longer.

On the case, there're a lot of mid-tower cases around. Are you fond of windowed cases? Do you prefer a sober and business design? Like Square or round edges? Tooless design is also something to think about. And what about aluminum x steel?

ivasar

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
First of all, thank you all for the information and opinions provided. I've learned -well, mora than learn I would say "realize"- a couple things that will come handy to make a decision. Even if I may look like new to the "mount your own PC" bussiness, I am not because I've been doing it for the last 6 years, on my own systems and for friends and relatives. But I've always gone for low budget setups: cheapest components that will do their work keeping a high reliability but forgetting other considerations as noise, power dissipattion, design... And frankly, I am tired of this, and want to assemble a better machine this time, even if it's not high end or top notch. That's why I decided, after reading a lot here, to post for some guidance. And now, let's leave my life aside and go to the point (apologies for the long, maybe uninteresting paragraph).

Having a stronger PSU even if it's not needed is indeed a good idea: will still be there if more power is needed in the (near future) and will have less workload with the setup I plan. So that is added to the "need list". I'll try to find one of the models listed in the ranking, but my biggest problem will be being able to find them where I am, no matter if it's a local shop or in the internet because, unfortunately, here in Spain we don't have so many good online shops as you do in Noth America (seeing most of the people I've read seems to be from there).

About the case, again very good points. I really like either the Thermaltake or any of the Antecs, but seems I'll have a hard time finding them around (already checked my favourite shops, with no success). Anybody knows about any good (=reliable and efficient) online shop in Europe?

Once again, thanks a lot for the info, have a happy new year and see you around!

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, unfortunately I don't know any Spanish stores (the only time I went to Spain was 24 years ago).

I know some in the UK, but that might be way too expensive (BRP is more expensive than Euro and there's always that damn 17,5% VAT), but nonetheless, you may want to check one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Does the EU allow for no import taxes when shopping from another EU country? If so, I know www.amazon.de (Germany) carry a lot of computer parts (the section is Computer & Zubehör). There might be computer-only online stores there too.

On the case, this is the official distributor for Thermaltake in Spain:

http://www.biomag.es/

They might be able to help you.

You could always use Yahoo Spain as it has a shooping directory.

PS - PSU is Netzteil in German if you want to look for one in Amazon Germany.