Delete user account, keep Exchange mailbox

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 19, 2005 4:26:04 PM

My company’s policy for users who leave is to disable the account instead of
deleting it. They do this primarily for future emails that may be sent to
the person that is still valid email. I want to know if I can delete their
user account but not their mailbox and just have the emails forwarded to the
proper personnel or give that person access to that mailbox. Is this
possible on a 2000 network? (Server and Exchange) Does someone have a better
option? I don’t usually delete the user account until 30 days after someone
leaves. At least this is what I did at a previous place.

Thank you.

Frank
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:14:41 AM

Frank wrote:
> My company's policy for users who leave is to disable the account
> instead of deleting it. They do this primarily for future emails
> that may be sent to the person that is still valid email. I want to
> know if I can delete their user account but not their mailbox and
> just have the emails forwarded to the proper personnel or give that
> person access to that mailbox. Is this possible on a 2000 network?
> (Server and Exchange) Does someone have a better option? I don't
> usually delete the user account until 30 days after someone leaves.
> At least this is what I did at a previous place.

I export the contents of the mailbox to a .pst file which I store , and also
add the ex-employees email address to their managers account for a month or
so to catch any new emails arriving.

If anything is needed from the old mailbox it's a simple matter to restore
the contents onto another PC.

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk
!