Registry / GPO modification

Hi all

I would like to make amendment on the registry key "ForceActiveDesktopOn"
and "NoActiveDesktop" to 1 in the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

I can do it by hardcode the registry key manually, but can't do it through
GPO.

Anyone can help me?

Please advice.
Thanks
BT
4 answers Last reply
More about registry modification

    The Group Policy for "ForceActiveDesktopOn" is:
    User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop\
    "Enable Active Desktop"

    The Group Policy for "NoActiveDesktop" is:
    User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop\
    "Disable Active Desktop"

    Austin M. Horst

    ForceActiveDesktopOn / Enable Active Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93205.asp

    NoActiveDesktop / Disable Active Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93207.asp

    Austin M. Horst

    Thanks

    Because of this limitation:-
    If the values of both the ForceActiveDesktopOn and the NoActiveDesktop
    entries are set to 1, the NoActiveDesktop entry is ignored. If the
    ClassicShell entry is set to 1, then Active Desktop is disabled and both of
    these entries are ignored.

    I would like to know is there any method to change the registry value
    ForceActiveDesktopOn to 0 and NoActiveDesktop to 1 without using the GPO.
    As i remember in using NT4 Poledit, i can write a adm file and hardcode
    users' registry. Is it possible to do this in Windows 2000 / 2003 AD
    environment?

    Please Advice.
    Thanks
    BT

    "Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ForceActiveDesktopOn / Enable Active Desktop

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93205.asp

    > NoActiveDesktop / Disable Active Desktop

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93207.asp

    > Austin M. Horst

    It's ignored because you cannot Enable and Disable Active Desktop at the same time. It has to be one or the other. You would not set
    both.
    If you want Active Desktop disabled, only use:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktop DWORD value 1
    If you want Active Desktop enabled, only use:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceActiveDesktopOn DWORD value 1

    Yes, you can use .adm files in 2000/2003.
    "To add or remove an Administrative Template (.adm file)"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/gptext_addtemplate.htm
    "Location of ADM (Administrative Template) Files in Windows"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228460
    ".adm files included with Windows 2000"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/gpe_shippedadms.htm
    "Creating custom .adm files"