Registry / GPO modification

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 20, 2005 2:33:26 PM

Hi all

I would like to make amendment on the registry key "ForceActiveDesktopOn"
and "NoActiveDesktop" to 1 in the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

I can do it by hardcode the registry key manually, but can't do it through
GPO.

Anyone can help me?

Please advice.
Thanks
BT
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:00:37 PM

The Group Policy for "ForceActiveDesktopOn" is:
User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop\
"Enable Active Desktop"

The Group Policy for "NoActiveDesktop" is:
User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop\
"Disable Active Desktop"

Austin M. Horst
Related resources
May 23, 2005 4:35:42 PM

Thanks

Because of this limitation:-
If the values of both the ForceActiveDesktopOn and the NoActiveDesktop
entries are set to 1, the NoActiveDesktop entry is ignored. If the
ClassicShell entry is set to 1, then Active Desktop is disabled and both of
these entries are ignored.

I would like to know is there any method to change the registry value
ForceActiveDesktopOn to 0 and NoActiveDesktop to 1 without using the GPO.
As i remember in using NT4 Poledit, i can write a adm file and hardcode
users' registry. Is it possible to do this in Windows 2000 / 2003 AD
environment?

Please Advice.
Thanks
BT

"Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ForceActiveDesktopOn / Enable Active Desktop

> NoActiveDesktop / Disable Active Desktop

> Austin M. Horst

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:35:43 PM

It's ignored because you cannot Enable and Disable Active Desktop at the same time. It has to be one or the other. You would not set
both.
If you want Active Desktop disabled, only use:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktop DWORD value 1
If you want Active Desktop enabled, only use:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceActiveDesktopOn DWORD value 1

Yes, you can use .adm files in 2000/2003.
"To add or remove an Administrative Template (.adm file)"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/g...
"Location of ADM (Administrative Template) Files in Windows"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228460
".adm files included with Windows 2000"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/g...
"Creating custom .adm files"