Mapping drive over vpn

March 26, 2005 7:05:42 PM

I have a i700 and get internet over verizon's express network. I can vpn
into my 2003 server quite well after a few months of practice.

I'm stuck on mapping a drive. I've tried the built in explorer, Resco File
Explorer, and netrunner.

I think I get a network error when I try to map the drive. I do have my vpn
gateway set up in the exceptions and I can ftp and terminal into it over the
vpn. I have no firewall on the server. I use ipsec and filters to do all my
security and they are not applied to the internal vpn network.

1-Does the pocket pc use netbios or smb?

2-Does anyone else have this problem?

3-What else can I check?

Thanks for any help.

More about : mapping drive vpn

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:43:32 PM

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a i700 and get internet over verizon's express network. I can vpn
>into my 2003 server quite well after a few months of practice.
>
>I'm stuck on mapping a drive. I've tried the built in explorer, Resco File
>Explorer, and netrunner.
>
>I think I get a network error when I try to map the drive. I do have my vpn
>gateway set up in the exceptions and I can ftp and terminal into it over the
>vpn. I have no firewall on the server. I use ipsec and filters to do all my
>security and they are not applied to the internal vpn network.
>
>1-Does the pocket pc use netbios or smb?

I *think* netbios, but am not sure.

>2-Does anyone else have this problem?

No - I map to drives all of the time - even admin shares -
\\machinename\c$ for example. You cannot map to DFS names like
\\domain\dfshares\dfsname though, or at least I haven't been able to.

>3-What else can I check?

Is it asking for your userid/password?

Can you ping machines with shares? Can you use Remote Desktop on those
machines to admin Terminal Services (2000/2003 server or XP Pro
boxes)?
March 27, 2005 1:09:33 AM

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a i700 and get internet over verizon's express network. I can vpn
>>into my 2003 server quite well after a few months of practice.
>>
>>I'm stuck on mapping a drive. I've tried the built in explorer, Resco File
>>Explorer, and netrunner.
>>
>>I think I get a network error when I try to map the drive. I do have my
>>vpn
>>gateway set up in the exceptions and I can ftp and terminal into it over
>>the
>>vpn. I have no firewall on the server. I use ipsec and filters to do all
>>my
>>security and they are not applied to the internal vpn network.
>>
>>1-Does the pocket pc use netbios or smb?
>
> I *think* netbios, but am not sure.

Thanks

>>2-Does anyone else have this problem?
>
> No - I map to drives all of the time - even admin shares -
> \\machinename\c$ for example. You cannot map to DFS names like
> \\domain\dfshares\dfsname though, or at least I haven't been able to.

bummer for me :-(
I can't wait to do that.

>>3-What else can I check?
>
> Is it asking for your userid/password?

Nope, when I use netrunner it give me an "Error connecting to resource: 53"
I'm not sure if this is specific to the application or returning a system
networking error.

When I use the built in system explorer I get "The network path was not
found"

> Can you ping machines with shares?

Yes, if I turn off my ipsec I can ping. I also double checked and I still
can't map the drive with ipsec off.

>Can you use Remote Desktop on those
> machines to admin Terminal Services (2000/2003 server or XP Pro
> boxes)?

Yes. I can connect to Terminal Services through the vpn from the pocketpc. I
can also map the drives from xppro when I vpn into the server from my
laptop. It appears to use netbios when I do this, so I figured the device
should be able to connect too.

> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:54:00 AM

I seems that when I try to map the drive my vpn closes.

I'm looking into the exception list right now. I have the gateway ip that
I'm using listed and that seems to work for everything else. My vpn doesn't
drop when I use Terminal Services.
!