Win2000 won't recognize 2nd processor?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

All,

I have a server here running Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced Server) that
I am planning on upgrading to Windows Server 2003 in the near future. But
first, I wanted to beef up the hardware in the box, so I purchased some
additional components like more RAM, a second processor for the other slot,
etc.

Odd thing is, even though the hardware seems to recognize the second
processor, Windows is ignoring it. At least I think that's what is going on.
At the BIOS level, the server (HP/Compaq make) is telling me everything is
a-ok and can see both procs just fine. However, when I boot to Windows, I
get no indication that a second proc is recognized. I am used to being able
to bring up the Task Manager and look at the two separate graphs indicating
processor utilization. Right now, there is only one showing, and the System
Information tool has no indication that a second proc is in use.

Is there something special I have to do to make Windows use a second
processor?

Thanks-

Jake

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Win2k won't automatically recognize a second CPU. I haven't done this
myself but a quick Google search pulled up this:
http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/21365/21365.html
I know this has been discussed in the past so you could also search the
newsgroups (http://groups.google.com) and get some more answers.

"Jacob Lane, MCP" <jacoblanemcp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have a server here running Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced Server)
that
> I am planning on upgrading to Windows Server 2003 in the near future. But
> first, I wanted to beef up the hardware in the box, so I purchased some
> additional components like more RAM, a second processor for the other
slot,
> etc.
>
> Odd thing is, even though the hardware seems to recognize the second
> processor, Windows is ignoring it. At least I think that's what is going
on.
> At the BIOS level, the server (HP/Compaq make) is telling me everything is
> a-ok and can see both procs just fine. However, when I boot to Windows, I
> get no indication that a second proc is recognized. I am used to being
able
> to bring up the Task Manager and look at the two separate graphs
indicating
> processor utilization. Right now, there is only one showing, and the
System
> Information tool has no indication that a second proc is in use.
>
> Is there something special I have to do to make Windows use a second
> processor?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Jake

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

This was great!
Thanks for the link.
For those reading this, here was the critical snippet from the Windows IT
Pro article:

" ... Go to the Control Panel System applet's Hardware tab, and click Device
Manager. Expand the Computer container and double-click the computer's HAL
name (e.g., Standard PC) to open a Properties dialog box. Go to the Driver
tab and click Update Driver to launch the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard.
Click Next, then select the option to display a list of known drivers.
Select MPS Multiprocessor PC, then click Next to install the software. At
this point, Win2K informs you that it needs to reboot the system to complete
the change. After the reboot, the system should recognize and support both
CPUs. (For more information about the various types of HALs and a more
detailed comparison of Win2K's and NT's methods of configuring
multiprocessor support, see "Migrating to Multiprocessor Configurations.")
.... "

Jake

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Win2k won't automatically recognize a second CPU. I haven't done this
> myself but a quick Google search pulled up this:
> http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/21365/21365.html
> I know this has been discussed in the past so you could also search the
> newsgroups (http://groups.google.com) and get some more answers.
>

> "Jacob Lane, MCP" <jacoblanemcp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I have a server here running Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced Server)
> that
>> I am planning on upgrading to Windows Server 2003 in the near future. But
>> first, I wanted to beef up the hardware in the box, so I purchased some
>> additional components like more RAM, a second processor for the other
> slot,
>> etc.
>>
>> Odd thing is, even though the hardware seems to recognize the second
>> processor, Windows is ignoring it. At least I think that's what is going
> on.
>> At the BIOS level, the server (HP/Compaq make) is telling me everything
>> is
>> a-ok and can see both procs just fine. However, when I boot to Windows, I
>> get no indication that a second proc is recognized. I am used to being
> able
>> to bring up the Task Manager and look at the two separate graphs
> indicating
>> processor utilization. Right now, there is only one showing, and the
> System
>> Information tool has no indication that a second proc is in use.
>>
>> Is there something special I have to do to make Windows use a second
>> processor?
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
>> Jake

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Yep. This was it!

" ... Go to the Control Panel System applet's Hardware tab, and click Device
Manager. Expand the Computer container and double-click the computer's HAL
name (e.g., Standard PC) to open a Properties dialog box. Go to the Driver
tab and click Update Driver to launch the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard.
Click Next, then select the option to display a list of known drivers.
Select MPS Multiprocessor PC, then click Next to install the software. At
this point, Win2K informs you that it needs to reboot the system to complete
the change. After the reboot, the system should recognize and support both
CPUs. (For more information about the various types of HALs and a more
detailed comparison of Win2K's and NT's methods of configuring
multiprocessor support, see "Migrating to Multiprocessor Configurations.")
...."

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Win2k won't automatically recognize a second CPU. I haven't done this
> myself but a quick Google search pulled up this:
> http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/21365/21365.html
> I know this has been discussed in the past so you could also search the
> newsgroups (http://groups.google.com) and get some more answers.
>

> "Jacob Lane, MCP" <jacoblanemcp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I have a server here running Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced Server)
> that
>> I am planning on upgrading to Windows Server 2003 in the near future. But
>> first, I wanted to beef up the hardware in the box, so I purchased some
>> additional components like more RAM, a second processor for the other
> slot,
>> etc.
>>
>> Odd thing is, even though the hardware seems to recognize the second
>> processor, Windows is ignoring it. At least I think that's what is going
> on.
>> At the BIOS level, the server (HP/Compaq make) is telling me everything
>> is
>> a-ok and can see both procs just fine. However, when I boot to Windows, I
>> get no indication that a second proc is recognized. I am used to being
> able
>> to bring up the Task Manager and look at the two separate graphs
> indicating
>> processor utilization. Right now, there is only one showing, and the
> System
>> Information tool has no indication that a second proc is in use.
>>
>> Is there something special I have to do to make Windows use a second
>> processor?
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
>> Jake

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

This article may help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=234558

--
Regards,