Map transfer from CD to SD memory card

March 27, 2005 2:17:15 PM

I would be very pleased if someone could help. I'm trying to transfer a map
of France provided for the Medion ppc MD95000 to a 256 mB memory card. I've
tried using the supplied program (Medion Navigator Mapexport) using both
card reader and Activesync. I've also tried to drag and drop using Windows
Explorer (and copy and paste). While this works to export to my hard disc
exporting to the memory card always results in part transfer, then the
transfer stops and the computer crashes.

I tried transferring the various folders and files separately. This worked
for the small files but the large map files caused the usual crash.

I'm using win 98SE with a Pentium 3 computer with 192mB Ram and the card
reader is in my printer. What am I doing wromg? Please help, regards, Brian.

--
Brian Slater
Remove "REMOVE" to reply.

"Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 2617a$c69$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
| I would be very pleased if someone could help. I'm trying to transfer
a map
| of France provided for the Medion ppc MD95000 to a 256 mB memory
card. I've
| tried using the supplied program (Medion Navigator Mapexport) using
both
| card reader and Activesync. I've also tried to drag and drop using
Windows
| Explorer (and copy and paste). While this works to export to my hard
disc
| exporting to the memory card always results in part transfer, then
the
| transfer stops and the computer crashes.
|
| I tried transferring the various folders and files separately. This
worked
| for the small files but the large map files caused the usual crash.
|
| I'm using win 98SE with a Pentium 3 computer with 192mB Ram and the
card
| reader is in my printer. What am I doing wromg? Please help, regards,
Brian.

| --
| Brian Slater
| Remove to reply. I REMOVED it, don't know why- I could reply to the
newsgroup without removing it.
| advert cut

export to memory card? Why not just copy the files or is that what you
mean? Exporting may mean some conversion process is applied, copying
leaves files unchanged. You need to copy without any conversion if
going through activesync. Active sync is known to fail
when transferring large files though.

Copying using a card reader connected to the pc should be ok. I'm not
sure but I guess
you could try renaming the errant files to transfer then rename back to
the original name/extension after transfer if you are just copying the
files without any conversion. Or you could try zipping the files then
transfer them, and unzip on the card.
March 27, 2005 11:06:09 PM

Thanks Alan tried both methods with exactly the same result as before (small
files copy without problems but the map files, around 100mB start to copy
then halfway through the computer crashes). I'm running out of ideas!!!!

--
"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 26nbc$rba$2@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2617a$c69$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> | I would be very pleased if someone could help. I'm trying to transfer
> a map
> | of France provided for the Medion ppc MD95000 to a 256 mB memory
> card. I've
> | tried using the supplied program (Medion Navigator Mapexport) using
> both
> | card reader and Activesync. I've also tried to drag and drop using
> Windows
> | Explorer (and copy and paste). While this works to export to my hard
> disc
> | exporting to the memory card always results in part transfer, then
> the
> | transfer stops and the computer crashes.
> |
> | I tried transferring the various folders and files separately. This
> worked
> | for the small files but the large map files caused the usual crash.
> |
> | I'm using win 98SE with a Pentium 3 computer with 192mB Ram and the
> card
> | reader is in my printer. What am I doing wromg? Please help, regards,
> Brian.
> |

> | --
> | Brian Slater
> | Remove to reply. I REMOVED it, don't know why- I could reply to the
> newsgroup without removing it.
> | advert cut
> |

> export to memory card? Why not just copy the files or is that what you
> mean? Exporting may mean some conversion process is applied, copying
> leaves files unchanged. You need to copy without any conversion if
> going through activesync. Active sync is known to fail
> when transferring large files though.
>
> Copying using a card reader connected to the pc should be ok. I'm not
> sure but I guess
> you could try renaming the errant files to transfer then rename back to
> the original name/extension after transfer if you are just copying the
> files without any conversion. Or you could try zipping the files then
> transfer them, and unzip on the card.

March 28, 2005 6:08:56 AM

"Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 27071$djq$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
| Thanks Alan tried both methods with exactly the same result as before
(small
| files copy without problems but the map files, around 100mB start to
copy
| then halfway through the computer crashes). I'm running out of
ideas!!!!

| --
| Brian Slater
| Remove "REMOVE" to reply.
| http://www.btinternet.com/~boldon.modelaircraft
| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| news:D 26nbc$rba$2@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
| >
| > "Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| > news:D 2617a$c69$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
| > | I would be very pleased if someone could help. I'm trying to
transfer
| > a map
| > | of France provided for the Medion ppc MD95000 to a 256 mB memory
| > card. I've
| > | tried using the supplied program (Medion Navigator Mapexport)
using
| > both
| > | card reader and Activesync. I've also tried to drag and drop
using
| > Windows
| > | Explorer (and copy and paste). While this works to export to my
hard
| > disc
| > | exporting to the memory card always results in part transfer,
then
| > the
| > | transfer stops and the computer crashes.
| > |
| > | I tried transferring the various folders and files separately.
This
| > worked
| > | for the small files but the large map files caused the usual
crash.
| > |
| > | I'm using win 98SE with a Pentium 3 computer with 192mB Ram and
the
| > card
| > | reader is in my printer. What am I doing wromg? Please help,
regards,
| > Brian.
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Brian Slater
| > | Remove to reply. I REMOVED it, don't know why- I could reply to
the
| > newsgroup without removing it.
| > | advert cut
| > |
| > |

| > export to memory card? Why not just copy the files or is that what
you
| > mean? Exporting may mean some conversion process is applied,
copying
| > leaves files unchanged. You need to copy without any conversion if
| > going through activesync. Active sync is known to fail
| > when transferring large files though.
| >
| > Copying using a card reader connected to the pc should be ok. I'm
not
| > sure but I guess
| > you could try renaming the errant files to transfer then rename
back to
| > the original name/extension after transfer if you are just copying
the
| > files without any conversion. Or you could try zipping the files
then
| > transfer them, and unzip on the card.

For your information I just transferred a single file at 125 Mb. This
transferred with no problems over USB1.1 to my card via a card reader.
It took maybe 30 seconds (guessing, I didn't time it).

Perhaps you could try a different make of reader? This was a Dane-elec.

Also:
I don't know if this will work, but ...
You could try creating spanned zips ( like splitting a large zip into
sections to fit onto floppy disks) choosing a suitable size then
transferring the segments. Join them together if they transfer (one at
a time).
Downsides: You need the registered Winzip to do this but other programs
may offer this facility for free.
I'm not sure if the ppc zip programs can join the sections, but perhaps
winzip/whatever can rejoin them when connected to the pc if its not
possible using the ppc versions.
March 28, 2005 10:27:07 AM

Thanks Alan, I think I might try another card reader, the zip method sounds
a bit complicated for me and anyway I haven't got a registered copy of
winzip.

Also I wonder if my memory card is not formatted correctly? It's supposed to
be FAT 16/32, I've reformatted in widows explorer but this doesn't say which
system the format is. And why does the computer crash whatever method I use
to attempt the transfer? Regards from a very frustrated Brian.

--
news:D 27lim$fj3$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D 27071$djq$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> | Thanks Alan tried both methods with exactly the same result as before
> (small
> | files copy without problems but the map files, around 100mB start to
> copy
> | then halfway through the computer crashes). I'm running out of
> ideas!!!!
> |
> | --
> | Brian Slater
> | Remove "REMOVE" to reply.
> | http://www.btinternet.com/~boldon.modelaircraft
> | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> | news:D 26nbc$rba$2@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> | >
> | > "Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> | > news:D 2617a$c69$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> transfer
> | > a map
> | > card. I've
> using
> | > both
> using
> | > Windows
> hard
> | > disc
> then
> | > the
> | > |
> This
> | > worked
> crash.
> | > |
> the
> | > card
> regards,
> | > Brian.
> | > |
> | > |

> For your information I just transferred a single file at 125 Mb. This
> transferred with no problems over USB1.1 to my card via a card reader.
> It took maybe 30 seconds (guessing, I didn't time it).
>
> Perhaps you could try a different make of reader? This was a Dane-elec.
>
> Also:
> I don't know if this will work, but ...
> You could try creating spanned zips ( like splitting a large zip into
> sections to fit onto floppy disks) choosing a suitable size then
> transferring the segments. Join them together if they transfer (one at
> a time).
> Downsides: You need the registered Winzip to do this but other programs
> may offer this facility for free.
> I'm not sure if the ppc zip programs can join the sections, but perhaps
> winzip/whatever can rejoin them when connected to the pc if its not
> possible using the ppc versions.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:35:12 PM

| --
| Brian Slater
| Remove "REMOVE" to reply.
| http://www.btinternet.com/~boldon.modelaircraft
| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| news:D 27lim$fj3$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
| >
| > "Brian" <brian.slater1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| > news:D 27071$djq$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
| > | Thanks Alan tried both methods with exactly the same result as
before
| > (small
| > | files copy without problems but the map files, around 100mB start
| > copy
| > | then halfway through the computer crashes). I'm running out of
| > ideas!!!!
| > |
| > | --
| > | Brian Slater
| > | Remove "REMOVE" to reply.
| > | http://www.btinternet.com/~boldon.modelaircraft
| > | "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | news:D 26nbc$rba$2@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...

| > transfer
| > using
| > using
| > hard
| > then
| > | > |
| > This
| > crash.
| > | > |
| > the
| > regards,
| > | > |
| > | > |

news:D 2883r$j74$1@titan.btinternet.com...
| Thanks Alan, I think I might try another card reader, the zip method
sounds
| a bit complicated for me and anyway I haven't got a registered copy
of
| winzip.
|
| Also I wonder if my memory card is not formatted correctly? It's
supposed to
| be FAT 16/32, I've reformatted in widows explorer but this doesn't
say which
| system the format is. And why does the computer crash whatever method
I use
| to attempt the transfer? Regards from a very frustrated Brian.

The card may be formatted as either, it partly depends on the card size
(it needs to be ~260Mb or greater to use FAT32). This affects the
cluster size so may affect wasted/unusable space at the end of each
file- on average this will be half the cluster size for every file (not
every segment, and not for all of the available disk space- see later).
Some people make a big deal of it- it's not really that critical but
you will end up with a little more usable space using FAT32. If your
disk isn't full this doesn't really matter, and if it is full you
really need to be looking to clear space or getting a larger card-
don't worry about it too much. btw there is also a FAT12 format too,
it's used on one of my cards. It is usually the better choice though.
When you look at disk properties it will be FAT16 if it just says FAT,
it was the general standard so other file systems weren't expected. But
don't worry about that, it has little real relevance.

Perhaps you could run scandisk to see if there are disk errors? It may
be incorrectly reported space causing issues or a corrupt file- perhaps
a missing or misplaced EOF marker. You can then try again. Then perhaps
try a defragment- this *shouldn't* make any difference but shouldn't do
any harm either. If that doesn't work I guess you could try a reformat
as FAT32 if that is possible on your card (512 Mb or larger?), just
don't be too hopeful about that helping your problem, and don't expect
some of the space saving impression the first link gives- the potential
savings are per file not for the whole disk.

For some basic info about the differences of the FAT:
http://www.intac.com/~aboutcmp/FATData1.html FAT 32 max limit is
actually around 2 Terabytes
http://www.project9.com/fat32/
March 28, 2005 3:43:11 PM

Hello Brian,

It might be the card.

I have some problem with one if my SD card, 256 MB.
The laptop can read and access the card, but not the cardreader, Viking
6 in 1 USB.

The cardreader shows files with completely changed names and sizes.
Size for the files are shown as 1 - 2GB.

When puting in a 512 MB, it is ok.
Names and sizes are correct.

BR
//Anders

alan smith wrote:
> [...]
> When you look at disk properties it will be FAT16 if it just says FAT,
> it was the general standard so other file systems weren't expected. But
> don't worry about that, it has little real relevance.
>
> Perhaps you could run scandisk to see if there are disk errors? It may
> be incorrectly reported space causing issues or a corrupt file- perhaps
> a missing or misplaced EOF marker. You can then try again. Then perhaps
> try a defragment- this *shouldn't* make any difference but shouldn't do
> any harm either. If that doesn't work I guess you could try a reformat
> as FAT32 if that is possible on your card (512 Mb or larger?), just
> don't be too hopeful about that helping your problem, and don't expect
> some of the space saving impression the first link gives- the potential
> savings are per file not for the whole disk.
>
> For some basic info about the differences of the FAT:

March 29, 2005 10:41:38 AM

I've actually transferred the map (Whoopee!!!! what an ordeal). The trouble
was probably the USB hub which was (still is?) playing up. Used the
ActiveSync which took over an hour. Unfortunately the previous attempts had
somehow left the ppc short of memory and the only way to cure this was a
hard reset (pretty drastic) but the map is now working.

The dicky usb now seems to be preventing connection to acive sync but I'm
working on that. Thank you all for your replies which kept me going,
regards, Brian.

--

!