Sign in with
Your question

Strange noise coming of my xfx 8800 GTX, here is a mp3.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2006 5:13:39 PM

I have my new pc for a few days now. It has a XFX 8800 GTX XXX (standard overclocked card). But it makes some strange noises with some games. For example, eve-online makes the loudest noise of all. And loading between scenes with 3DMark06.
I have recorded the sound so maby someone know what it is.

Here you hear when I start eve-online, login, and logout.
(it has some animated background and 3D enviroment)
(I holded my mic close to the card, so it may sounds louder than it is, but you can clearly hear it outside the case)

http://www.nakijken.nl/marvin/noise.mp3

My system configuration:

Intel Quadcore 2.66Ghz Extreme
4x 1GB OCZ DDR2-800 4-4-4-15
Asus striker extreme mainbord
X-Fi elite pro soundcard
Tagan 700W Dual engine Power Supply

Does anyone has the same problem as I?
If I must, I can live with it, but it gets irritating.
December 28, 2006 5:39:12 PM

I have the same thing with my x800gto. But i guess it isnt going to destroy your card. I have this thing for a few months now, and is still works perfectly fine :D 
December 28, 2006 6:48:38 PM

Quote:
I have the same thing with my x800gto. But i guess it isnt going to destroy your card. I have this thing for a few months now, and is still works perfectly fine :D 

I did too... turned out it was just the fan squealin.
Related resources
December 28, 2006 7:16:36 PM

It can't be the fan, when I slow down the fan with my finger, the sound doesn't change. It sounds like a electrical sound I think.
December 28, 2006 7:55:58 PM

Same here, but i dont worry about it.

But if you dont like it, you could RMA it, or ask your manufacturer what this can be, and if it could damage your card.
December 29, 2006 12:21:50 AM

listen to Mpilch and RMA it. You paid too much money to have any issues with the card. Just imagine if you don't and the thing craps out after the warranty period. I know it might suck being without the card for a little while, but for 600 bucks I would want that thing to be functioning perfectly.
December 29, 2006 6:47:14 AM

Thx for all your help,

I can RMA it within 7 day's without any waiting for testing, I can get a new one directly. It's only waiting for the next chipment to arrive, then I return my card for a new one. And they will go further in to it to find out what causes the sound. And I hope another one don't have the same thing.
And I have spend so much money on it, I want it to work perfectly, I have a verry silent air cooling system (you can hear that on the mp3, 6 120mm case fans and 2 power supply fans and a cpu cooler on the background, and a Graphic card that make an irritating sound.)
December 29, 2006 11:08:50 AM

I have the same card and one of the things I've been extremely happy with is the lack of noise. (I had a Gainward 6800 gt that sounded like a dustbuster) I think you'll be much happier when you can't even hear the card. In my experience it really is an excellent and quiet card. It just really sucks having to go through all that hassle. Best of luck to you.
December 29, 2006 11:40:52 AM

So you have the same card, and no strange sound? Did you tryed 3DMark06, the sound was loud between the scenes when loading the next scene. The best test of all it eve-online, that makes the loudest noise.

The fan itself is extremely silent, if that beebing sound go's away, it would be perfect.
December 29, 2006 12:02:45 PM

I had the same problem with my Radeon X1900XTX.

The noise occorred everytime the gfx card produced really high fps (for example a black loading screen).

The problem went away once I enabled Vsync.

The noise probably came from one of the capacitors on the card.
December 29, 2006 12:35:37 PM

It sounds a little bit like when I got water on my 6600GT...
It's a short circuit of some sort, either way it's gonna go to hell soon enough.

RMA it and hope it won't take too long-
December 29, 2006 4:33:24 PM

That sound is not at all normal and I also suggest you RMA the video card. Start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and let me know the ticket number. I should be able to help out and speed things up for you.

XFX Support
December 29, 2006 5:32:43 PM

I did start a XFX ticket a few days ago, not yet a reaction. My ticket numer is 75160.

I also readed something about a risistor that was replaced on the first line of 8800 cards. But I have checked it, and I have risistor C40, so thats not the problem.
December 29, 2006 5:40:46 PM

Thanks for the ticket number, I will ensure someone looks into it for you.

XFX Support
December 30, 2006 6:48:58 PM

I just returned my card, they tested it, and they hear the sound to, but it seems less loud than at home. This is posible, because I think it's about verry high framerates, and the test system had a slow conroe, and I have an quadcore, the framerates within 3Dmark where only half of my framerates at home. Simple effects like fade to black after loading each scene in 3DMark causes verry high frame rates. This is when you can hear it. That's why I have the loudest noise comming from the login screen of eve-online, verry simple effects to.
And maybe thats why battlefield 2 gives no sound.

Now I have a new card, I have exactly the same problem. And surprisingly this shop had recently 3 more bad cards with exactly the same problem with that card.

The only solution I think is to wait about a few weaks untill there is a new revision without this problem and return him again.
January 2, 2007 3:57:53 PM

That is odd as it is not a known issue for these video card to make unusual noises like that. I have played around with many of them with no problems. PM me your Version number, and bios version number and I can have an engineer look into it for us.

XFX Support
January 2, 2007 4:19:02 PM

Strange, 3 at the shop, 2 from me that make the same strange noise. I think it's a production line problem. Everything about my previous card can be seen on http://www.nakijken.nl/marvin/info_card.jpg

I don't know for sure, maybe is the problem only with the gtx XXX version.
January 2, 2007 5:01:04 PM

BTW - My RAM sticks are sing songy, I have grown to like it! Lets me know they are moving data!

-S
January 23, 2007 4:56:22 AM

I have the exact same problem, I get the sound in between load screens in 3Dmark 06, and in the FEAR Menus, it's the worst.

I got an evga 8800GTX, and just replaced it too, and the problem is still there. :( 

My specs:

Intel E6300

Asus Extreme Striker

Team Xtreem 2gb memory 4-4-4-10 Timings

On board sound.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I'm beginning to think it's the motherboards. For me the sound seems to be coming from the area around the SATA connectors.

Picture: Here
January 23, 2007 6:56:06 PM

A, that's interresting. I think we have the same problem here.
I now have an Asus 8800 GTX, and the same problem again.

I hear allot of people complaining about an whining sound with atitools,
I have tryed that (the scene when you see a box rotating) and That gives
the sound to, but a more clearly sound, try atitools and reply your findings please.

when I tryed to locate the sound, I thought it came of my 8800 gtx. But it's a dificult sound to locate, so I could be wrong.

Another thing, I retuned my xfx 8800 GTX XXX for the second time, and they tested it for the whining noise, but they could not install the graphic driver "no nvidia device detected". on two diferent systems. So that card was defect but I didn't know about that because I switched the two cards without installing the driver again (identical cards). So I had to install my computer again, then I had another big problem. So I'am glad it returned my card.

And another problem...
When playing battlefield 2, every half hour my computer reset's itself with a fast bleu screen message I can't read.
I just tyed to reduce my DDR2-800 timings to auto (this OCZ ram should work on 4-4-4-15) and tested it one and a half hour, without crashes.
So maybe it's solved now. This ram should work between 1.9v and 2.0v so I had set 1.95v. But maybe this is to low to work on fast timings?
hopefully my systems stay working with this new setting, when it runs a month, I set this ram to 2.0v and fast timings, and see if that works out.
January 24, 2007 2:30:31 AM

Quote:
A, that's interresting. I think we have the same problem here.
I now have an Asus 8800 GTX, and the same problem again.

I hear allot of people complaining about an whining sound with atitools,
I have tryed that (the scene when you see a box rotating) and That gives
the sound to, but a more clearly sound, try atitools and reply your findings please.

when I tryed to locate the sound, I thought it came of my 8800 gtx. But it's a dificult sound to locate, so I could be wrong.

Another thing, I retuned my xfx 8800 GTX XXX for the second time, and they tested it for the whining noise, but they could not install the graphic driver "no nvidia device detected". on two diferent systems. So that card was defect but I didn't know about that because I switched the two cards without installing the driver again (identical cards). So I had to install my computer again, then I had another big problem. So I'am glad it returned my card.

And another problem...
When playing battlefield 2, every half hour my computer reset's itself with a fast bleu screen message I can't read.
I just tyed to reduce my DDR2-800 timings to auto (this OCZ ram should work on 4-4-4-15) and tested it one and a half hour, without crashes.
So maybe it's solved now. This ram should work between 1.9v and 2.0v so I had set 1.95v. But maybe this is to low to work on fast timings?
hopefully my systems stay working with this new setting, when it runs a month, I set this ram to 2.0v and fast timings, and see if that works out.

I just ran the ati tool, and I got that sound as well, seems much more annoying than in 3Dmark06 or FEAR.
January 24, 2007 9:01:50 AM

Ok, if you find that the most irritating sound.
You should try download eve-online, and just start the game, you see a log-in window, thats where the noise starts, so you don't have to create an account. This sound is really more irritating.
please try that. Here can you download eve-online client... http://www.eve-online.com/download/
or a direct link here
http://ccp.vo.llnwd.net/o2/EVE_Setup_27912.exe

It's a nice game to if you want to try it, you can get 14 days trail.
January 24, 2007 9:06:56 PM

Haven't tried that yet, but I have now verified that it's the videocards doing this.

I went back to work today, and replaced my evga 8800GTX for the Asus 8800GTX and it still happened.

I also popped in a 7950GT that we had and the sound went away completely.

So, it seems to be a defect with the 8800GTX cards.

All we can really do is contact the videocard manufacture and wait for a reply. :x
January 25, 2007 1:39:07 PM

I have the same problem here..

My card is Leadtek PX8800 TDH GTX.
Brought back to the shop and tested. The tech guy confirmed he never heard something like it before.

Tested another Leadtek card and it does the same thing. Then we tested the XFX, there's noise but it's softer..
Unfortunately, they'll charge me 10% of my card if I want to replace with another brand, what a rip off..

Anyway, seems like this problem goes accross several brands of GTX..

Ironically, in my case, the loudest noice can be heard on Spellforce 2 main menu, a loud high pitch noise.. what a horror.. and to think that this spellforce game comes from the leadtek box...
January 26, 2007 12:11:23 AM

I agree with mpilchfamily, as every post that i have read from him has merit. :wink:
January 26, 2007 12:46:30 AM

That's strange. It wasn't the same sound but I had something similar happen on my old X850XT. It wasn't the fan, I know what a fan going bad sounds like. It sounded like something electrical. It would happen whenever I moved my mouse sometimes or when I did certain things in games or applications.

My eVGA 8800 GTX is silent as can be. It's the quietest thing in my case.
February 24, 2007 11:35:18 AM

At least I am not alone also, I have exactly the same problem. Mine 8800GTX is a Gainward and the other staff is :
M/B Abit AB9 Pro (965P)
2 Gigs of Corsair XMS - 800
X-Fi Fatality Sound card
500Gb WD Sata HD
and Thermaltake 700W PSU

I asked my retail shop I bought it from and said the noise is not a problem so they can RMA the card , they would change my card only if it wouldnt work fine !!!!

So my friend we have to live with this buzzy noise !!! :cry: 
February 24, 2007 12:20:10 PM

Quote:
Haven't tried that yet, but I have now verified that it's the videocards doing this.

I went back to work today, and replaced my evga 8800GTX for the Asus 8800GTX and it still happened.

I also popped in a 7950GT that we had and the sound went away completely.

So, it seems to be a defect with the 8800GTX cards.

All we can really do is contact the videocard manufacture and wait for a reply. :x

Well, more GPU's have this. Not only 8800's and if the card works properly then i don't see a problem. If it fails, you always have your warrenty.
March 9, 2007 11:36:32 PM

I have the same problem with my XFX 8800 gtx. I returned it and grabbed an EVGA 8800 gtx acs3.. With the XFX one I didnt install the drivers off the disk, instead i downloaded newest from nvidia.. BUT with the EVGA one I tried the Drivers disk first and there was NO noise, the driver version ended with .72 i think.. But I thought ok the other card must have just been bad so i grabbed the newest drivers from nvidia and right after installing them the dang noise is back .. ANy help would be great.. My system was:

Gigabyte P965 mobo
E6600 cpu
2 gig Corsair mem
500 gig sata2 HD
750w Thermaltake PSU
and a very silent Thermaltake Armor series case...(5-6 case fans)

I recently replaced with:

EVGA 680i Mobo
2 gig Patriot mem

I just havent gotten another PSU as at first I thought this might be the prob, so ill prob just grab a thermaltake 850w then try this again and then repeat the return process over again lol... Its gotta be the graphics card though if all this and it still makes the noise.. any help would be greatly appreciated! Gonna stick with drivers off the disk again for sure, because it was perfect with those for some reason..
March 10, 2007 12:42:05 AM

I was so angry with this stupid “buzzy” noise so I bought a 2nd 8800GTX , a XFX this time and the Gainward 8800GTX replaced a 7800GTX in my 2nd PC. The XFX is really quite so I am sure whatever combination of other parts you make (PSU, M/B, Ram e.t.c.) the noise wont go away, its always the card and only this , we were just unlucky with these graphic boards and for me I added a 2nd € 500 debt in my credit card just to buy a new 8800GTX.
March 20, 2007 1:48:06 PM

my BFG 8800GTX arrived today and I have the exact same problem, a high pitched squeek in some situations (loading screens between 3Dmark tests, 'Press any key to begin' screen in CoH), and then during 3D gameplay it has this electronic buzz, the buzz changes tone depending on the frame-rate as when I look around in HL2, the buzz changes as I look at the sky, the ground, the distance etc. Vsync helped a little but it's still very annoying.

e-mailed BFG this morning, just waiting for a reply. Does this sound like the same problem you guys all had? Hopefully a replacement card will resolve it.
March 20, 2007 2:40:34 PM

Yep!! You can add me to this list. I have an HIS Ati radeon 1950 AGP and get exactly the same noises in games, looking around its whines and even on the desktop you can hear it when moving the mouse. I have heard this on other cards too, long ago.

I RMAed the first one which actually crashed, (see my post "LOOK!" and "LOOK PART 2") got another one and it does exactly the same thing; except this one has been almost perfect it crashed once. I am going to test it tonight and if it crashes again ill send it back as well.

Load of rubbish if you ask me, surely they pick this stuff up in testing??

M
April 10, 2007 7:56:07 PM

I have the same problem with ASUS 8800 GTX and also haven't found any solution yet
April 10, 2007 8:22:24 PM

I RMA'd mine and got a different one back which makes almost exactly the same sound. really bizzare, it's either a really common problem or just a design flaw.
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2007 9:26:24 PM

The file does not work(not found).

So my question is, does it make a high pitched noise that seems to vary or oscillate?

My K8V Se always did it but was muffled down by my Sonata case and my X1900 does it as well. Once again my Sonata II(never heard in in there) made it go away, but since i got the 900 i discovered it.

Many items in the voltage system(anything with a coil in it) can vibrate/resonate at a high speed and will not be seen by the user. It is also hard to find the location of it. So in 90% of all cases it will never cause a problem and will be out the hearing range for the majority of people.

In your case since it is new RMA it.

But if it was old I would say just keep it. This kind of thing does not cause damage.

Suspect A
Suspect B

Some people have found the source of such a noise with a clean(the graphite from the pencil is bad for computer parts) eraser(the pink one on a pencil, the pencil gives extra reach). With the pencil eraser they manage to gently press on the parts in question and then listen for the pitch to change. There is a sort of goo(dont know what its called) that can be placed over the item in question that will hold it still and make the noise go away or reduce it to an acceptable level.
November 15, 2007 1:24:16 PM

I noticed this same problem with my BFG 8800GTX today, but I dont remember hearing it with older drivers, makes me wonder if the drivers are causing it.
November 18, 2007 7:32:36 PM

same problem here guys. I've just bought a xfx 8800 gtx extreme edition and I have the same problem. strange high-frequency sound coming from the video card between 3dmark06 loading screen and in STALKER (when the framerate passes over 300 fps: menu, when looking at the sky). very nice indeed, a 600 usd video card with such a problem. damn.
!