Need help with product key location... please

January 21, 2005 3:27:51 PM

I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have expired
from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
find her product key cross country?

She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer that
I bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still sticking
them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she says
she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is... :(

What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
bj

More about : product key location

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:27:52 PM

"chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have
expired
> from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my
daughter
> find her product key cross country?
>
> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer
that
> I bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still
sticking
> them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she
says
> she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is...
:(

> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
> bj
You can get the product key using one of several utilities:
- Keyfinder - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
- Belarc - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
- Everest (was AIDA32) -
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
(Note this only finds the Windows product id. It no longer finds the
Office key.)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:27:52 PM

chicagofan wrote:
> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have expired
> from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
> find her product key cross country?
>
> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer that
> I bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still sticking
> them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she says
> she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is... :(
>
> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
> bj
Never used this myself but I've seen it recommenced here
many times. It's a freebie I think.

gls858
January 21, 2005 3:27:52 PM

Replied with email to provide attachment.

"chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have expired
> from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
> find her product key cross country?
>
> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer that I
> bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still sticking
> them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she says
> she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is... :(
>
> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
> bj
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:27:52 PM

chicagofan wrote:
> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have expired
> from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
> find her product key cross country?
>
> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer that
> I bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still sticking
> them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she says
> she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is... :(
>
> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
> bj

If it's a retail license, the Windows 25-character Product Key
(required to perform the installation) is stored on the CD packaging on
a bright orange sticker that says "Do not lose this number." It is not
on the installation CD in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM
(factory installed) license, the Product Key is stored on a label that
the PC manufacturer affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the
bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc Advisor
from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the Product Key.
(If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key; therefore,
it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for a
re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:27:53 PM

I emailed him Keyfinder (zipped).

> Replied with email to provide attachment.

> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have expired
>> from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
>> find her product key cross country?
>>
>> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer that I
>> bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still sticking
>> them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then, but she says
>> she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how old she is... :(
>>
>> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
>> bj

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:00:34 PM

bxb7668 wrote:

> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
>> find her product key, cross country?
>>
>> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer
>> that I bought her 3 yrs. ago.
>>
>> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses. bj
>

> You can get the product key using one of several utilities: -
> Keyfinder - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml - Belarc
> - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Everest (was AIDA32) -
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
> (Note this only finds the Windows product id. It no longer finds the
> Office key.)

Thanks to all of you who replied, so much! I think I will advise her to
try Belarc first, since she is not very computer proficient, and I
have used it before. I will download it again, and hopefully be able to
help her.

I'm saving all the suggestions, just in case. Thanks again, everyone.
bj
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:00:35 PM

Go to this web site and follow instructions:
http://.www.magicjellybean.com click on key finder, note this has to be done
on the computer that you are working on,& this requires a zip file to open
the file, hope this helps, Bill
> bxb7668 wrote:
>
>> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
>>> find her product key, cross country?
>>>
>>> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer
>>> that I bought her 3 yrs. ago. What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for
>>> any responses. bj
>>

>> You can get the product key using one of several utilities: -
>> Keyfinder - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml - Belarc
>> - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Everest (was AIDA32) -
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang... (Note
>> this only finds the Windows product id. It no longer finds the Office
>> key.)
>
> Thanks to all of you who replied, so much! I think I will advise her to
> try Belarc first, since she is not very computer proficient, and I have
> used it before. I will download it again, and hopefully be able to help
> her.
>
> I'm saving all the suggestions, just in case. Thanks again, everyone.
> bj

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:00:35 PM

I sent the wrong web site info here is the correct one:
www.magicaljellybean.com Bill

"chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> bxb7668 wrote:
>
>> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Could someone please tell me how I can help my daughter
>>> find her product key, cross country?
>>>
>>> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer
>>> that I bought her 3 yrs. ago. What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for
>>> any responses. bj
>>

>> You can get the product key using one of several utilities: -
>> Keyfinder - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml - Belarc
>> - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Everest (was AIDA32) -
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang... (Note
>> this only finds the Windows product id. It no longer finds the Office
>> key.)
>
> Thanks to all of you who replied, so much! I think I will advise her to
> try Belarc first, since she is not very computer proficient, and I have
> used it before. I will download it again, and hopefully be able to help
> her.
>
> I'm saving all the suggestions, just in case. Thanks again, everyone.
> bj

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:30:39 PM

Bill, I already emailed him the zipped file.

"Bill Summers" <wsummers1@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I sent the wrong web site info here is the correct one:
> www.magicaljellybean.com Bill
>
> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> bxb7668 wrote:

>>> You can get the product key using one of several utilities: -
>>> Keyfinder - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml - Belarc
>>> - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Everest (was AIDA32) -
>>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
>>> (Note this only finds the Windows product id. It no longer finds the
>>> Office key.)
>>
>> Thanks to all of you who replied, so much! I think I will advise her to
>> try Belarc first, since she is not very computer proficient, and I have
>> used it before. I will download it again, and hopefully be able to help
>> her.
>>
>> I'm saving all the suggestions, just in case. Thanks again, everyone.
>> bj

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:16:41 PM

chicagofan wrote:
> I've searched and all the relevant messages regarding this have
> expired from my server. Could someone please tell me how I can help
> my daughter find her product key cross country?
>
> She swears there is no product key sticker on her Gateway computer
> that I bought her 3 yrs. ago. I don't remember if Gateway was still
> sticking them on the Microsoft manuals that they provided back then,
> but she says she doesn't have it either. <sigh> Don't ask me how
> old she is... :(
> What can I tell her to do now? TIA, for any responses.
> bj

If the Gateway shipped with XP, the Product Key was placed on the computer
case. The utilities in the link below will retrieve a valid PK if the XP has
been reinstalled or repair installed and the PK was manually typed in
during setup. If not, then the PK retrieved will be the generic key Gateway
uses to install all systems.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Find Product Key [CD Key]
http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

It is in the registry.....download Belarc Advisor - it shows system
information on all sorts of things including the CDkeys for all software
installed.

!