Dominator Fan

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Unless youre over 2.55v on the memory you wont need more cooling than the heatspreaders. And even then, you would want real CFM being pushed to the modules, not that Mickey Mouse cooler with under 10CFM. A 80mm being the most practicaly choice.

But to answer your question, yes, it will work on any RAM.

Whokidmo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
what other ram fans designed for just rams are out there? the heat sinks for the dominator series are incredible from what i've heard, plus a fan? thats icing on the cake. the fan is slow because look how little it is, plus they wanted low wattage and silent operation. it's perfect for air cooled systems, with heat sinks. Your ram will never burn out due to over heating, with the dominator fan and dominator memory, i can assure you.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
You shouldnt use any "RAM designed" fan. They all have too little CFM, small fans that produce a horrible pitch, and nobody is gonna complain about a watt or two added to their fans...

Whokidmo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
OK, lets say u have a case fan on your case panel right above ur memory. Then what? the only thing the dominator fan can do is direct the air between the slots where the cooling should occur. It can only do good not harm. i agree the 80mm fan will help cool it even more but for people who can't place a fan directly above the memory this is great, and for those who can, then cheers you can cool your memory very efficiently, the 80mm fan can blow the air from the outside and the dominator fan can blow it between the slots to the ram chips/heatsinks where it needs to go at. see the air being blown in form the 80mm will now be directed at the memory heatsinks, and with more pressure then if the dominator fan wasn't there. The dominator can place the air between the slots and place it where it needs to be plus it brings in new cold air and pushes the old air out with pressure cooling it much more efficiently then just an 80mm fan. all the 80mm fan above ur memory does is blow air into your case, that air cools your motherboard (not the NB or SB) better then even cooling your memory. This fan uses the air in your PC, just like any other component (VGA, CPU, chipset) air directed randomly will not dispatch heat. thats like holding a house fan in front of an open case. doesn't work unless the air is forced to take in the heat

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Those tiny fans must be noisy. Also it's a bit high on the price. I suggest you use an 80mm fan to cool the memory.

Check my rams and the 90mm fan above it.

Along with the ramsinks from Zalman, my memory modules are cool to the touch. The 90mm fan is from Thermaltake and it's works really quite.

Whokidmo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
actually the tiny fans aren't noisy at all, wise they had that option though, tahts why they are such low speeds. Your 90mm is place very well in your case, if people had that option i would suggest it in an instant

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Dont be a fanboy, and if youre that concern about fresh air just cut a hole in the side panel and add your favorite grill to it.
But since you shouldnt need any dedicated fan for the modules 24/7 this will probably be overkill.