Naish

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I've got a Fortron 450W FSP Saga. I know it will run a 1900XTX oc'd (slightly) with no problems. I generally don't have a very power hungry computer.

1x 4200+ X2 - Socket 939
1x Asus A8N-E
2x 1GB DDR400
1x IDE 200GB
1x Seagate 250GB SATA2
1x LG DVD Burner

I took out the side Green LED 80MM fan on the NCIX XION2 case. It was too loud, and didn't pull in enough air. In fact, I didn't get any temp change whatsoever.

Now, I DO plan on buying a new power supply in the future. The 8800GTX however, has left me somewhat broke. Anyone know if it will atleast run until I have the time to buy a new PSU? (2 weeks tops)

I figured you guys might be able to help a bit :)

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Hey dean, do you know of any PSU calc. that actualy gives you the exact usage - or am I ignorant as the Outervision site does it?

I've looked for an hour yesterday and found nothing but old Pentium 4 era calculators.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The extreme outervision one will give you the wattage, but I don't believe it gives you amperage. Is that what you are asking? If so, I don't really know of anything. mphilchfamily might have more info (he's guru of PSUs).

I've got a Fortron 450W FSP Saga. I know it will run a 1900XTX oc'd (slightly) with no problems. I generally don't have a very power hungry computer.

1x 4200+ X2 - Socket 939
1x Asus A8N-E
2x 1GB DDR400
1x IDE 200GB
1x Seagate 250GB SATA2
1x LG DVD Burner

Now, I DO plan on buying a new power supply in the future. The 8800GTX however, has left me somewhat broke. Anyone know if it will atleast run until I have the time to buy a new PSU? (2 weeks tops)

The FSP 450w Saga provides 348w on the 12v rails. Look at the sticker on the PSU to confirm this. That means the PSU can provide 29 amps on the 12v rails. Based on your system specs, the FSP should be able to support the 8800GTX.

Here's what I estimated the max load on the 12v rail will be:

4200+ OC'ed to 4800+.............................................96w CPU Power Consumption
8800GTX................................................................146w GPU Power Consumption
2 Hard Drives............................................................32w
1 DVD Drive..............................................................16w
2 80mm Fans..............................................................8w

Total max power consumption on 12v rail....................298w
Total max amp consumption on 12v rail....................24.83a

Note: The above assumes a X2 4800+ CPU, an exact measurement of the 4200+ isn't provided. If I were to guess then I'll peg it at about 74w. That means estimated power consumption would drop to around 276w and the amps would drop to 23. That means you have 72w or 6 amps to spare.

If you are an overclocker, then I suggest do not overclock either the CPU or the GPU when you install the 8800GTX. Test your system to make sure it is stable then slowly overclock. It is not a good idea to stress the PSU to the limit.

All other components draws power from the 3.3v or 5v rails. Hard drives and DVD/CD drives draws power from both 5v and 12v rails.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I could care less what the fine print says. His current setup is a ticking time bomb that most likely kill the x1900xtx before he knows what happens. Forget about the 8800 GTX you need a power supply now. Just because it runs or running doesn't mean anything.

All you folk working this out on paper need to understand that you shouldn't run the PSU at more than 80% of max load and the lower the better. Additionally PSU manufacture have been proven over and over to overestimate the performance of their units.

If you want to live on the edge go ahead just understand what you're doing and don't complain when your in the market for a new PSU and GPU.

I could care less what the fine print says. His current setup is a ticking time bomb that most likely kill the x1900xtx before he knows what happens. Forget about the 8800 GTX you need a power supply now. Just because it runs or running doesn't mean anything.

FSP is known for producing very good PSUs. If the OP had some crap like Aspire or Rosewill then I would agree with you.

All you folk working this out on paper need to understand that you shouldn't run the PSU at more than 80% of max load and the lower the better. Additionally PSU manufacture have been proven over and over to overestimate the performance of their units.

If you want to get a little more precise 23amp / 29amps = 79.31% therefore it is less than your 80% max load.

On top of that my numbers assumes each and every component will be operating under max load. Actual power consumption while gaming will actually be less than the 276w (assuming the 4200+ is not overclocked) I stated because the hard drives and DVD ROM will not be spinning all the time when gaming.

While idling hard drives and DVD drives draws about 8w or 9w on the 12v based on research. When a game access data from the HDD the game itself pauses so while the HDD is drawing more power because the game needs to access data, the video card will be drawing less power for that brief period of time.

I would estimate that while gaming the max power consumption will be about 255w or 21.25 amps. That means the load placed on the 12v rail will be 73% (21.25 amps / 29 amps).

Naish

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I'm not overclocking :).

I'd also like to point out that in 2-3 weeks (next paycheck) I'll be buying a better power supply.

My Fortron 450w uses dual 12V rails and I believe the output on each is 18a..

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I know a 45$ PSU that will run your GTX just fine.... and you dont need to change your existing PSU.....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2478152&CatId=1076

it has two +12 rails running at 21 AMPS perfect for that power hungry GTX of yours and it fits nicely into your 5.25" bays

Did no one even take notice of my post.... you dont need to up your PSU and spend 150+ on a good one just buy this and keep your current one which is fine.

I'm not overclocking :).

I'd also like to point out that in 2-3 weeks (next paycheck) I'll be buying a better power supply.

My Fortron 450w uses dual 12V rails and I believe the output on each is 18a..

Each 12v rail can provide up to 18 amps or 216w, but combined they can only 348w, or 29 amps. That's why you need to read the sticker carefully.

For example:

17-194-003-09.JPG

As you can see, the sticker for the Enermax Liberty 500w PSU states each 12v rail can provide 22 amps, or 264w of power. But if you look below you will see that the combine 12v rails will only provide 384w, or 32 amps. 22 amps on each rail represents peak power.

If that Enermax Liberty can truly provide 22 amps on each 12v rail, then that means it can provide a total 528w on the 12v rails alone.

Here's a sticker from the Seasonic S12 380 PSU:

17-151-022-03.JPG

The 12v1 provides 10 amps or 120w of power. The 12v2 provides 15 amps or 180w of power. Add the two up and you get 300w. Look at the stick where it states 300w under both 12v rails. That right it states 300w. Seasonic and certain handfulls of other PSU doesn't give you bullshit "peak" amps. What they state on the PSU is exactly what you get.

300w = 12v x (10amps + 15amps)

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
This is my standard reply to these questions:

With PSUs - You only need to ask yourself one question:

Are they on the nVidia SLI Certified:
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies
; and / or the ATI/AMD Certified:
http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.html
; PSUs lists ?

Links:
- http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies
- http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.html
- http://users.on.net/~darkpeace/psu/List_of_Recommended_PSUs_Nov_2006.pdf

Stick to the certified lists above, and you'll make the perfect choice, first time, every time.
If not go one level (+41.43%) higher wattage than you think you need, it'll last you through more upgrades and reduce chances of problems when the PSU is 3+ years old.

Q3 2007: Personal estimates are around 880 watts for high end configurations, and beyond that we'll get more efficient but hopefully not need more than 880 watts per PSU. (Environmental factors, most outlets only let you use 1600 - 2400 watts max, and you want to share that by 3+ devices, etc)

See Also Thread: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1387918#1387918

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Just trying to give an honest opinion, I mean really, 450W PSU with an 8800 GTX. LOL

A GTX can run on a quality 350w with enough amperage on the +12v, as long as you aren't running 4 hard drives, 2 DVD-R's, an X-Fi, 200 led's, 20 fans, ect. :?

nV gives you the prefered wattage (450 it is?) as a worst case scenerio. When most people build gaming PC's, thats what they are and contain. I'm not gonna have 4 hard drives, and 3 CD/DVD drives - it's for gaming :roll: . I'll build another PC for that crap.