Outlook and a PST file on the network

Just had a new server put in and some of our users cant access their
outlook pst files as the shared data folder was renamed.

I have an issue becuase if i try to browse to the individual users
pst file it just isnt visable in the network. I assume that this is
becuase the user hasnt got sufficent privilages to do this.

If i log on to the machine as the administrator then this wouldnt work
as i need to configure Outlook for that user.

As with my eariler posts, i need to be able to configure users
programs and desktops whilst being logged in as the administrator.

Any ideas

Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Outlook-PST-file-network-ftopict376181.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1223837

Let me get this straight... You've moved PST files around and the
Outlook profile cannot locate them anymore?

If you want a user to retain his/her PST on the network they need all
rights to the file itself (excluding full-access). How you provide
these rights is up to you.

Other then that you'd need to make sure that the profiles per user
refer to the correct location of the PST file to actually open it. I
know PST's on the network work. I've got them in use in my own
enviroment (although they serve purely as backup files). I got them
connected to H: (H: being the users own home-directory on which he/she
has all rights excluding full control).

So if I now move the folder to a different location, aslong as I make
sure the homedirectory is mapped through the H: drive, the user will
be able to open his/her PST file without manual intervention on my
behalf on the client side.

Logging on as the administrator doesn't do you much good. This is
because the Outlook profile itself is saved under the documents and
settings folder of the user itself. In the registry file
(HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\) appearantly.

So you COULD edit that one through a registry editor... tho judging
from the junk that is in there, you could destroy a lot more then you
could just doing it by logging in as the user and using the interface
for it. Let me just inform you that if you do decide to tinker with
the registry, that you take a backup of the thing first, and that I'm
not taking any responsibility if this somehow blows up

Cheers, Neko-

On 23 May 2005 11:38:05 -0400, tallpaul101
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>Just had a new server put in and some of our users cant access their
>outlook pst files as the shared data folder was renamed.
>
>I have an issue becuase if i try to browse to the individual users
>pst file it just isnt visable in the network. I assume that this is
>becuase the user hasnt got sufficent privilages to do this.
>
>If i log on to the machine as the administrator then this wouldnt work
>as i need to configure Outlook for that user.
>
>As with my eariler posts, i need to be able to configure users
>programs and desktops whilst being logged in as the administrator.
>
>Any ideas
>
>Thanks

dl

Whilst some users have no problems, pst's over a network, you should be
aware MS doesnt support this as it can lead to corruption.