HELP!!! Seagate 250Gb HDD Fried!

cemt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi Guys!

I have a SEAGATE 250GB IDE Hard Disk Drive;
Model Number: ST3250823A

The PCB is fried, well just one component. I'm trying to find the part number for it. Can someone with the same drive help?

i've included a picture of the part number i require!

its a diode; I need to know all the numbers on it as mine is burned out.

ST3250823A.jpg

thanks

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Looks IDE, so support my be out the door, but you'd be surprised what information they point you too. Check out mouser.com if you find the diode.

kieranmullen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have 2 seegates 320 that I just bought for raid. Then before I setup raid and after I copy stuff over to it... it starts smoking! Today! I came here to post if people can buy the same make hard drive and swap the logic board to copy material over before it is sent for RMA. I figure it is ok since I dont break a seal or drop it. (items which the sticker on the drive says will voice your warranty)

thanks

KM

cemt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
come now data recovery experts!

i need the diode number on the 12v line
OR
a pcb for the exact model: ST3250823A

thanks again

pat

Expert
Hi Guys!

I have a SEAGATE 250GB IDE Hard Disk Drive;
Model Number: ST3250823A

The PCB is fried, well just one component. I'm trying to find the part number for it. Can someone with the same drive help?

ST3250823A.jpg

thanks

IIRC, seagate warranty is 5 years, and yours should still be warranted.. and there is nothing that ensure that anything else apart this part is fried and and new diode will make it run again..

So, I would just check to get a replacement before tampering too much with the drive

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004

Use the Seagate warranty validator.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

Of course, if it's the data from the drive that you want, it is likely to be a risky and ultimately expensive enterprise. Something you only do once.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Just send it back to whereever you bought it and get a new one. If it is the data that you want, then I dont think you will be able to recover it unless you find what you are looking for (something tells me can be kinda difficult)

kieranmullen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Guys I am sure he knows he can get an RMA. So your posts are not doing any good but increasing your post count and making you feel better.

In my case my unit is under warranty, I do have an RMA, there is data I want to recover but dont want to spend multiple thousands of dollars to recover it. Funny thing too I was supposed to be for a rais system.

Further you will note that on the
Western Digital Drive "Product warranty will be void if seal, label or cover is removed or damaged"

Seagate Drives - "Product warranty is void if any seal or label is removed or if the drive experiences shock in excess of 350Gs"

The PCB board is not a seal, label or cover.

But I am sure you guys all know this too...

cemt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi guys!

Thanks for the inputs. I have Data on the Drive I wish to retrieve. I have a quote for Data recovery for the drive and its like $1500.

I cant get a replacement from seagate as the drive is OEM purchased in Denmark; i went to the Seagate site and they said to go back to the store the drive was purchased from. Also the Drive is now obsolete.

At the moment only hope I have is to replace the diode. If all else fails i have to fork out the $1500...

bad mistake...next time RAID

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you manage somehow to get the replacement diode, wouldn't you have to unsolder the bad one?

Why not do that now? Maybe you can pick up markings underneath.

Nothing to lose - you're not affecting anything inside the case.

pat

Expert
Hi guys!

Thanks for the inputs. I have Data on the Drive I wish to retrieve. I have a quote for Data recovery for the drive and its like $1500.

I cant get a replacement from seagate as the drive is OEM purchased in Denmark; i went to the Seagate site and they said to go back to the store the drive was purchased from. Also the Drive is now obsolete.

At the moment only hope I have is to replace the diode. If all else fails i have to fork out the $1500...

bad mistake...next time RAID

Or simply backup.. Even RAID 1 is not safe in case of controller failure..

pat

Expert
Seagate Drives - "Product warranty is void if any seal or label is removed or if the drive experiences shock in excess of 350Gs"

The PCB board is not a seal, label or cover.

But I am sure you guys all know this too...

I've read stupid thing but I have to say that this one is good for an award..

I just got a brand new motherboard, and there is a sticker on it saying that warranty is void if this sticker is removed.

So as long as the sticker is on the motherboard, I can remove capacitors, PCI slots, CPU socket and then return the board for replacement???

It simply means that if anything fails, and these stickers are removed, then the warranty will be void. It do not mean that you can do anything with the drive and still expect warranty to be honored as long as the sticker is still there...

4745454b

Titan
Look on Ebay for a bad 250GB drive with the same model number. Attach that good PCB to the bad drive. (but seeing as your oversees, you'll need to find someone who will ship worldwide.) I'd tell you what it is, but my 250GB seagate is a 7200.10 series, not 7200.8 series drive. I don't know if I even have a diode in that place, its a very different drive.