Question on Vcore in BIOS

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Just finished my 1st build yesterday. Overall not too bad and the system seems to be running great.

When I check PC Health in BIOS, it is showing that "fail" for Vcore. I'm not really sure what that means and if I should take steps to correct it or not.

I have Corsair XMS2 sticks installed on a Gigabytse DS3 mobo. Could this be
causing a voltage issue and hence the failure?

Any help appreciated.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
What sort of cpu is it?

I recommend checking default voltage setting for the cpu and making sure that the motherboard is set to the correct voltage.

Full system specs please.

Try checking some of your other bios menus for your Vcore or use a util from windows like cpuz.

Since your system seems to be working fine I would assume that the pc health menu is giving you a bad reading.

The only voltage problem you may have @ stock speeds is with the xms2.
I think the stock ram voltage for your MB is 1.8V?
Most xms2 ram is rated @ 2.1V with tighter timings.

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Full system specs please.

Try checking some of your other bios menus for your Vcore or use a util from windows like cpuz.

Since your system seems to be working fine I would assume that the pc health menu is giving you a bad reading.

The only voltage problem you may have @ stock speeds is with the xms2.
I think the stock ram voltage for your MB is 1.8V?
Most xms2 ram is rated @ 2.1V with tighter timings.

C2D 6600 2.4 Ghz
Gigabyte DS3 motherboard
2 GB Corsair XMS2 RAM
OCZ GameXstream PSU 700 Watt
EVGA 8800 GTS

Nothing Overclocked.

Yes, the PC runs fine. The only thing was the Vcore is coming up as a fail on the PC Health menu. Ill try adjusting the RAM voltage and see what happens.

Sorry if I confused.
Unless you tighten the ram timings or overclock your system, if it is runing fine leave the voltage alone.

As long as there are no problems, running under voltage will not hurt it.

Can't really explain to you why it would read fail for vcore in the bios.
Since vcore = cpu power and it powers on it is obviously working.

Think that stock V is 1.225V so that is probably what it should read.

You could try updating the bios.
That may fix the problem and would be a good to do before you overclock anyways.

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I guess this doesn't seem to be that much of an issue but I would be interested in seeing what caused it.

My CPU voltage Control is set as "Normal". What exactly does that mean? Does that mean the voltage for the CPU is detected automatically?

Underneath that is the Normal CPU Vcore which has a blank line across from it. Im not really sure why this is.

I really don't want to start mucking around with it as long as I don't have to.
My only concern is long-term stability and reliability issues.