3magine

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I just built my new system (first time I ever built a system) and will be looking at overclocking it in the next few days.

I just installed Core Temp, and am unsure which temperatures are the ones mostly discussed (I am assuming the core temperatures)

At idle, it shows around 43 and 44 degrees celcius for core 0 and core 1 respectively, and about 85 degrees celcius for Tjunction.

Is this ok?

I'm running an e6600 on p5bdeluxe, 2G OCZ plat 800 and a bfg 7950 gt oc.

thanks.

SaevusMalus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hey, just curious, I have a P5W with 6600 and my bios shows 36C and core temp is telling me 43/44C. Does your bios show this kind of difference?

I am in the same boat as you, trying to get this all sorted out, I just put a 9700 on my chip, here is hoping the artic silver set right.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Speedfan and bios readings are typically the same since they read the temp from the same location. Coretemp is a better tool as it reads directly from cpu. It's normal for these temps to vary by 10 to 15 degrees C. Idle temps in the mid 40s are fine. Mine run mid 50s idle and I ain't skeered.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Those temps seem good to me. You are going to see diffrences in temp with bios and coretemp. Coretemp reads temps directly from cpu. Coretemp to me is a good desent program.

Iam currently runing my e6600 at 3.0GHZ and idle temps are 45-47C and load at 58C with Coretemp.

prplvelvet

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Have you tried installing PC Probe that comes with the P5B?

I have been using this to read CPU and system temps.
They seem to match very closely to what speedfan displays.

Coretemp is consistently 10 - 12 degrees off between what speedfan and PC Probe display. I would think that the software that comes with the motherboard would probably be the most accurate.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Coretemp is consistently 10 - 12 degrees off between what speedfan and PC Probe display. I would think that the software that comes with the motherboard would probably be the most accurate.

And you are wrong. Coretemp reads the temperature from the Digital Thermal Sensor which is inside the chip, close to the die while the others read regular thermal diode which sits in a cooler place.

prplvelvet

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
"And you are wrong. Coretemp reads the temperature from the Digital Thermal Sensor which is inside the chip, close to the die while the others read regular thermal diode which sits in a cooler place."

So why does coretemp read a lower temp than both speedfan and PC Probe? If the others read from the thermal diode in a "cooler" place why does it report a higher temperature?

I am a little confused myself on what temperatures to use. I am overclocking my e6600 @ 3.6GHz right now and am getting load temps around 64C with speedfan and PC probe, while coretemp reads about 52C.

I want to OC a little more, but with load temps around 64C that's getting a little high for my liking.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
your temps arent actually at 64. motherboard sensors tend to be up to 15C higher/lower. i have to correct myself, they dont read from a cooler place, they report it wrong, my bad. Coretemp is the only reliable program to use for monitoring your temps.

52C isnt too bad for being at 3.6Ghz

I personally dont like temps above 55, but you can go to 60ish safely (someone correct me if im wrong here please!)

make sure your prime95 for atleast a few hours to verify stability and to allow heat to build up over time to see your long term load temps.

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have spent the last two days researching temps on these P5B boards. I do know that if you have PECI enabled in BIOS, the ASUS and SpeedFan temps are going to be wrong. On my system, if PECI is enabled, the CPU temp is 16 deg cooler in ASUS and SpeedFan than in COreTemp or TAT. After much reading, it seems the consensus is COreTemp is the one to go by.

Out of curiosity, I got brave and let my CPU heat up until it throttled itself. This happened at 83.5degC on COreTemp. This matches close enough with what Intel indicates should happen. Kinda stupid letting a $500 CPU get that hot, but that's me. My first skipper said I was the dumbest smart person he ever met.

Anyway, trust CoreTemp. Actually, ASUS and SpeedFan aren't too bad once you disable PECI. They are within 2C of CoreTemp at full load. At idle, they are still lower than CoreTemp.

I am trying to stay below 60C at full load and 48C at idle. So far, I can OC to 3GHz and maintain this with the stock heat sink. A Scythe Infinity arrives tomorrow and hopefully will allow stable operation @ 3.6GHz and 400 FSB and maintain those target temps.

Tom