Event ID: 14
Date: 5/24/2005
Time: 12:07:12 AM
User: N/A
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as
a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Check your DNS architecture. (hint: "The time provider NtpClient was unable
to find a domain controller")

You said your clients "seem" to be configured correctly. There should be no
config required. They should automatically (by default) sync to a domain
controller. How did you "configure" them?

-Frank

"Chieftonw" <Chieftonw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to setup time synchronize for all the clients in my domain. I
> have the server setup to synchronize to an external source, which seems to
> be
> working. However for whatever reason my clients will not synchronize to
> the
> server. My server is running 2003 w/ SP1 and my clients are XP w/ SP2.
> The
> clients seem to configured correctly, but are still not able to find the
> time
> server. The following error appears in the Event Log. Am I missing
> something?
>

> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 14
> Date: 5/24/2005
> Time: 12:07:12 AM
> User: N/A
> The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use
> as
> a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Chieftonw

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003

I just verified that the client was set for NT5DS vs NTP. So it should be
getting it from the domain controller.

We have only one DNS server, which is the primary Domain Controller. All
workstations are configured with that as the only DNS server. It seems to be
working fine, as the clients do not have any trouble accessing any network
resources or the Internet.

jw