Change of gina.dll not possible

peter

A 3rd-party-application installed on some workstations (win2000 SP4) uses its
own gina.dll. On some systems it works fine, but on some workstations the
original msgina.dll is always used.
The Reg-Key .../Winlogon/GinaDLL is set on all machines. All files used by
the new gina.dll are present at the right place. File-ACL´s are identical.
Windows 2000 does not use the gina.dll refecenced by the GinaDLL-key. Why?

Any Hints?

Hi,
Following is an excerpt from http://support.microsoft.com/?id=156669

"It is very common for certain types of remote control software to replace
the default Windows GINA DLL (Msgina.dll). Therefore, a good first step is to
examine the system to see if it has a third-party GINA DLL. To do this,
locate the following registry key:
Value = GinaDLL REG_SZ

If the Gina DLL value is present and is anything other than Msgina.dll, this
probably means that a third-party product has changed this value.
If this value is not present, the system uses Msgina.dll as the default GINA
DLL.
"
Hence, by default this registry key entry won't be shown. Although Windows
would be referencing msgina.dll all the time.

Lukesh
"Peter" wrote:

> A 3rd-party-application installed on some workstations (win2000 SP4) uses its
> own gina.dll. On some systems it works fine, but on some workstations the
> original msgina.dll is always used.
> The Reg-Key .../Winlogon/GinaDLL is set on all machines. All files used by
> the new gina.dll are present at the right place. File-ACL´s are identical.
> Windows 2000 does not use the gina.dll refecenced by the GinaDLL-key. Why?
>
> Any Hints?

peter

Hi,

the problem is not that the msgina.dII has been replaced by the 3rd-party
one.

The 3rd-party gina.dII is supposed to be used. Although the entry in
Hkey_local-machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Currentversion\Winlogon\GinaDLL
is set correctly, the 3rd-party gina.dII does not activate.

"lukesh" wrote:

> Hi,
> Following is an excerpt from http://support.microsoft.com/?id=156669
>
> "It is very common for certain types of remote control software to replace
> the default Windows GINA DLL (Msgina.dll). Therefore, a good first step is to
> examine the system to see if it has a third-party GINA DLL. To do this,
> locate the following registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Value = GinaDLL REG_SZ
>

> If the Gina DLL value is present and is anything other than Msgina.dll, this
> probably means that a third-party product has changed this value.
> If this value is not present, the system uses Msgina.dll as the default GINA
> DLL.
> "
> Hence, by default this registry key entry won't be shown. Although Windows
> would be referencing msgina.dll all the time.
>
> Lukesh
> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > A 3rd-party-application installed on some workstations (win2000 SP4) uses its
> > own gina.dll. On some systems it works fine, but on some workstations the
> > original msgina.dll is always used.
> > The Reg-Key .../Winlogon/GinaDLL is set on all machines. All files used by
> > the new gina.dll are present at the right place. File-ACL´s are identical.
> > Windows 2000 does not use the gina.dll refecenced by the GinaDLL-key. Why?
> >
> > Any Hints?

peter

The problem is solved.

The 3rd-party gina.dll gave control to msgina.dll without showing its own
login dialog. This 'feature' could be deactiveted with hanging a reg-key.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for updating me. I'll really appreciate if u can update me about that
reg key

lukesh
"Peter" wrote:

> The problem is solved.
>
> The 3rd-party gina.dll gave control to msgina.dll without showing its own
> login dialog. This 'feature' could be deactiveted with hanging a reg-key.

peter

Hi lukesh,

our gina.dll is a part of the product 'SingleSignOn' (SSO) from Enatel and
Evidian. SSO manages the passwords of many applications.
By default, the following reg key is set:
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AM_Methods\EnableAutoAdminLogon = 1
In this case, the value of
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon
is read by SSO. If this key is set '1', SSO gives control to msgina.dll,
which makes an autologon.
There is a bug in SSO. If the AutoAdminLogon key is not present, SSO gives
control to msgina.dll also. And this bug was responsible for my problem...

Peter

"lukesh" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> Thanks for updating me. I'll really appreciate if u can update me about that
> reg key
>
> lukesh

Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot for updating me.