ATI x800xt Problems

Heeder

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi All,
A question. I am running a ATI x800xt with 2gb Ram and a 3.6 intel but I have just bought a new widescreen monitor.
Now when I am gaming the games just won't run smooth very jerky.
Also everynow and then it just crashes.
I had no problems before widescreen does this mean the ATI card is not up to the job?

Many thanks for your time,

Heeder.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Have you put the resolution higher, to fit the new screen? That would explain why its not running smooth.

The game crashes, i have no idea what can cause this.

Have you updated to the newest ATI drivers? This may help your problem.

Heeder

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
HI Mad Fitzy/FeareX,
At the mo my desktop is running at 1680x1050
I play Half Life 2 that sets itself all up and is running at 1680x1050 16:10
with antialiasingx2 everthing on High. This runs the best and looks great.
Battlefield 1942 is running on 800x600x32 and on Medium settings and jerks like crazy.
I'm a thinking that it just maybe the game (BF42) as surely H Life 2 needs more to run than B Field?!
Thanks for your replies,

Heeder.

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Try increasing the resolution on BF1942 upto 1400x900 or even 1680x1050 (if it's supported).

I had an X850 and it ran my 1680x1050 screen at it's native res on all my games fine, your card should be fine too, just try it at higher resolutions than 800x600

Heeder

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Failed miserably :( here's a message I get when it crashes...
"VPU recover has reset your graphics accelarator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver comands!"
What the F*** does that mean?!

Confused!

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well that message means that in effect your graphics card crashed.

Not sure what others would suggest but i'd RMA the card, as it is definately capable of running on higher resolutions. Just make sure you have the catalyst AI disabled in the catalyst control panel advanced section, as it can cause trouble in some games, but that error sounds to me like the card may be bad.

Heeder

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi Human,
Done a complete reinstall of the PC and thought I'd cleared the problem but no it crashed again but when it does crash a minute or so later it comes back on at the same stage of the game and you can continue playing again till it crashes again!!!
Am going to strip out card and memory and check HDs then after that I'm-a-snookered!
Thanks again for all you guys help.

One extremely hacked off Heeder! :eek:/

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well that is odd, i'd definately say that there is something wrong with the card if it is acting like that, especially after a re-install of the PC.

If you havn't tried it yet, i'd try a different catalyst control centre - maybe 6.9 or 6.8 and see if that helps solve the issue, if it doesn't then i would RMA the card, or at least contact ATI about it - my x850 was no hassle and worked great out of the box, as have my x1950's in crossfire, so it definately sounds like a bad card there.

Heeder

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hi Human error,
Sorry 4 delay in reply been away.
Anyhow after the 4th reinstall and various sets of drivers a friend of mine who has virtually the same PC as we built them side by side has said that his now crashes while gaming. So we have TWO x800xt's knackered (weird eh)?
I have nothing on my PC but essentials to run it and it's still crashing I reckon it is over heating because the onboard fan doesn't seem to run at all (it hasn't ceased) but I haven't a clue how to test it to see if it's knackered or to get it to run.
So we are going to try a new cheapie card and run one of the 800xt on another PC see what happens but it looks like the fan has gone.
Thanks to you all for your replies and I'll let you know the outcome incase it helps anyone.
L8r,
Heeder.