REPOST - ANNOYING BEEP ON ALL MOUSECLICKS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

<message originally posted to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support with no responses>

Any assistance on the below most appreciated. This beep is driving me
mad ...

For the last few months (don't know exactly how long since I generally
use my PC with sounds muted) the system beep sounds at EVERY mouseclick
(both right and left). I have checked Sounds in the Sound and Audio
Devices
control panel and disabled all beep-related settings, to no avail. I
also
installed TweakUI but there didn't appear to be any tools of relevance
to this
issue in that interface (although I have found other useful stuff there
....).

I already disabled the Beep driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
(revealed in the Show Hidden Devices view menu item under Device
Manager).

System particulars:
IBM T40 laptop, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP/SP2
Thanks in advance!

-David
kalichild --> hotmail

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Check in the mouse drivers??

Check in the laptop BIOS???

"kalichild" <kalichild@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <message originally posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support with no responses>
>
> Any assistance on the below most appreciated. This beep is driving me
> mad ...
>
> For the last few months (don't know exactly how long since I generally
> use my PC with sounds muted) the system beep sounds at EVERY mouseclick
> (both right and left). I have checked Sounds in the Sound and Audio
> Devices
> control panel and disabled all beep-related settings, to no avail. I
> also
> installed TweakUI but there didn't appear to be any tools of relevance
> to this
> issue in that interface (although I have found other useful stuff there
> ...).
>
> I already disabled the Beep driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
> (revealed in the Show Hidden Devices view menu item under Device
> Manager).
>
> System particulars:
> IBM T40 laptop, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP/SP2
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -David
> kalichild --> hotmail

Malke

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> Check in the mouse drivers??
>
> Check in the laptop BIOS???
>
> "kalichild" <kalichild@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <message originally posted to
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support with no responses>
>>
>> Any assistance on the below most appreciated. This beep is driving me
>> mad ...
>>
>> For the last few months (don't know exactly how long since I
>> generally use my PC with sounds muted) the system beep sounds at
>> EVERY mouseclick (both right and left). I have checked Sounds in the
>> Sound and Audio Devices
>> control panel and disabled all beep-related settings, to no avail. I
>> also
>> installed TweakUI but there didn't appear to be any tools of
>> relevance to this
>> issue in that interface (although I have found other useful stuff
>> there ...).
>>
>> I already disabled the Beep driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
>> (revealed in the Show Hidden Devices view menu item under Device
>> Manager).
>>
>> System particulars:
>> IBM T40 laptop, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP/SP2
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> -David
>> kalichild --> hotmail

Actually, it sounds to me like you are having a hardware problem.
Troubleshoot this by:

a) Trying a different mouse. If the sounds go away, throw the first
mouse out.

b) Try the mouse on a different computer. If it works well, the problem
is with your computer.

c) Since you didn't say whether you are using a usb mouse, ps/2 mouse
with UltraBase, or this is with the built-in mouse buttons on the
ThinkPad, I wrote the above about switching the mouse. If you are using
the ThinkPad buttons exclusively, then I would definitely call IBM tech
support as there is a good chance the problem is with the laptop
hardware.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

If you are running McAfee Firewall 3.03, check your settings here:

1) Run McAfee Firewall
2) Choose "Pick a Task"
3) Configure Advanced Settings
4) Choose "Configure Network Adapter Settings"
5) Choose your NIC and press "View or change properties"
6) On all the tabs uncheck
"Report allowed traffic" and "Report blocked traffic"

If this is not the case and you have delved within Accessibility Options,
revert.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"kalichild" <kalichild@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <message originally posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support with no responses>
>
> Any assistance on the below most appreciated. This beep is driving me
> mad ...
>
> For the last few months (don't know exactly how long since I generally
> use my PC with sounds muted) the system beep sounds at EVERY mouseclick
> (both right and left). I have checked Sounds in the Sound and Audio
> Devices
> control panel and disabled all beep-related settings, to no avail. I
> also
> installed TweakUI but there didn't appear to be any tools of relevance
> to this
> issue in that interface (although I have found other useful stuff there
> ...).
>
> I already disabled the Beep driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
> (revealed in the Show Hidden Devices view menu item under Device
> Manager).
>
> System particulars:
> IBM T40 laptop, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP/SP2
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -David
> kalichild --> hotmail

Thanks for the comments, eveyone.

The problem occurs with any mouse, including the thinkpad buttons. My
external mouse on another PC works hunky-dory. I'm currently going
through and removing/reinstalling all mouse-related drivers so
hopefully that will be of help.

-David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Some laptops have a BIOS setting to turn on clicks for keyboards and mice maybe something got turned
on there.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:u3nN78FAFHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If you are running McAfee Firewall 3.03, check your settings here:
>
> 1) Run McAfee Firewall
> 2) Choose "Pick a Task"
> 3) Configure Advanced Settings
> 4) Choose "Configure Network Adapter Settings"
> 5) Choose your NIC and press "View or change properties"
> 6) On all the tabs uncheck
> "Report allowed traffic" and "Report blocked traffic"
>
> If this is not the case and you have delved within Accessibility Options, revert.
>
> Good luck and keep us posted.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "kalichild" <kalichild@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <message originally posted to
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support with no responses>
>>
>> Any assistance on the below most appreciated. This beep is driving me
>> mad ...
>>
>> For the last few months (don't know exactly how long since I generally
>> use my PC with sounds muted) the system beep sounds at EVERY mouseclick
>> (both right and left). I have checked Sounds in the Sound and Audio
>> Devices
>> control panel and disabled all beep-related settings, to no avail. I
>> also
>> installed TweakUI but there didn't appear to be any tools of relevance
>> to this
>> issue in that interface (although I have found other useful stuff there
>> ...).
>>
>> I already disabled the Beep driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
>> (revealed in the Show Hidden Devices view menu item under Device
>> Manager).
>>
>> System particulars:
>> IBM T40 laptop, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP/SP2
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> -David
>> kalichild --> hotmail

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

All:

Thanks much for comments on this. I checked the bios as suggested with
no indication of the issue there.

As mentioned in my last post, I started unloading all of my background
processes, and it appears that the problem was with
one of the Synaptics drivers (SynTPLpr.exe to be exact), as the beeping
went away once I unloaded.
I reinstalled it from clean and everything is fine now. I can only
infer that the driver got stepped on somewhere.

Thanks so much to everyone for comments on this most obnoxious of
issues.

-David//kalichild

Malke

kalichild wrote:

> All:
>
> Thanks much for comments on this. I checked the bios as suggested with
> no indication of the issue there.
>
> As mentioned in my last post, I started unloading all of my background
> processes, and it appears that the problem was with
> one of the Synaptics drivers (SynTPLpr.exe to be exact), as the
> beeping went away once I unloaded.
> I reinstalled it from clean and everything is fine now. I can only
> infer that the driver got stepped on somewhere.
>
> Thanks so much to everyone for comments on this most obnoxious of
> issues.
>
> -David//kalichild

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting the answer. It will help
others who may have this problem in the future.

Malke