New Mobo and Memory problems

BigL

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Just got a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135028

with this memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227124

When I run the 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 in single channel mode Windows XP runs fine

When I run the 2 sticks in slots 1 and 2 or slots 3 and 4 in dual channel mode Windows XP crashes and I get blue screens of death

First question is, how much more performance am I going to get if I can figure out how to run dual channel mode and not crash, etc?

And second question is, how the hell do I fix this? Only memory settings I can adjust in the bios are either Auto or MaxMemoryClock for Timings, and with this option enabled I can speed it up anywhere from ddr2 400 to ddr2 800. I can also change the cas latency which I put at 5 since that's what the ocz page says it is.

Mondoman

Splendid
To start with, read this post:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

Your problem may have something to do with the fact that you have Ferrari RAM and a Yugo motherboard. Like a Ferrari, OCZ RAM is high-performance, but also picky about what hardware it works with. You might do better with Porsche RAM like Corsair, which is high performance *and* highly compatible - it just works. OTOH, it could be poor design and/or quality of your Yugo motherboard.

BigL

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Well, what's the performance % difference in this case between single channel and dual channel? If it's not much I won't sweat it I guess, if it is I'll get a new motherboard.

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
ECS doesn't have phone support, but they have relatively speedy email support. I'd start by firing off an email to them describing your problem. If the issue is that your DDR2 800 has to be 1.8v they'll have run into it a lot already.

What I would do in the interim is just roll in single channel. My impression is that dual channel isn't so much faster that you're likely to notice the difference. (maybe 10%?) I haven't done a before and after comparison, but lots of people will have posted benchmarks (google ftw).

The other thing I'd do is experiment by loosening the timings on the sticks and see if you can run stable in dual channel. You said you can play with CAS latency. Drop it to 6 (just for testing mind you), and see if you're stable in dual channel mode. Looser timings usually result in less voltage hungry sticks (or maybe its that lower voltage results in looser timings, either way). If that solves the problem you'll be left having to pick between a motherboard which allows you more flexibility with memory, or replacing the sticks for a pair that runs closer to the 1.8v spec for ddr2-800.... or not bothering and using single channel. But after spending good cash on decent sticks, you probably want a bit of return on the investment. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
Unfortunately, even good support won't be able to improve his MB's design.

OP: You might consider picking up a $40 Celeron and using it with the ECS MB and some cheap RAM for a nice little Ubuntu Linux box.