Dual boot disk replacement

I am trying to replace a failing disk on a Windows dual boot system and after
copying all of the files and attempting to boot to the new drive I receive a
disk configuration error message and Windows 2000 will not boot.

Details:

Computer Dell Dimension 4100
Disk 0 - Master - drive C: contains the Windows Me operating system and
assoicated files. This disk is not being replaced.

Disk 1 - Slave - drive D: containes the Windows 2000 operating system and
associated files. Old drive is 45GB replacement drive is 80GB. I've used
the software supplied with the drive in Windows 2000 to create a new
replacement boot drive. I did this by having both the old and new drives in
the system and booting to Windows 2000. When I remove the old drive and
substitute the new drive in its place, tI receive the boot selection screen
and select Windows 2000 - then after a pause I get the disk configuration
error message. Going back to the old disk restores operation of Windows 2000.

Frank
5 answers Last reply
More about dual boot disk replacement

    "frank" wrote:

    > I am trying to replace a failing disk on a Windows dual boot system and after
    > copying all of the files and attempting to boot to the new drive I receive a
    > disk configuration error message and Windows 2000 will not boot.
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > Computer Dell Dimension 4100
    > Disk 0 - Master - drive C: contains the Windows Me operating system and
    > assoicated files. This disk is not being replaced.
    >
    > Disk 1 - Slave - drive D: containes the Windows 2000 operating system and
    > associated files. Old drive is 45GB replacement drive is 80GB. I've used
    > the software supplied with the drive in Windows 2000 to create a new
    > replacement boot drive. I did this by having both the old and new drives in
    > the system and booting to Windows 2000. When I remove the old drive and
    > substitute the new drive in its place, tI receive the boot selection screen
    > and select Windows 2000 - then after a pause I get the disk configuration
    > error message. Going back to the old disk restores operation of Windows 2000.
    >
    > Frank

    Additional facts that I thought might be useful:
    New drive is an Ultra DMA. It can be seen in the system as a third drive
    when the old harddrive is installed and it is connected to the CDROM drive
    cable.

    Frank

    "frank" <frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to replace a failing disk on a Windows dual boot system and
    after
    > copying all of the files and attempting to boot to the new drive I receive
    > disk configuration error message and Windows 2000 will not boot.
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > Computer Dell Dimension 4100
    > Disk 0 - Master - drive C: contains the Windows Me operating system and
    > assoicated files. This disk is not being replaced.
    >
    > Disk 1 - Slave - drive D: containes the Windows 2000 operating system and
    > associated files. Old drive is 45GB replacement drive is 80GB. I've used
    > the software supplied with the drive in Windows 2000 to create a new
    > replacement boot drive. I did this by having both the old and new drives
    in
    > the system and booting to Windows 2000. When I remove the old drive and
    > substitute the new drive in its place, tI receive the boot selection
    screen
    > and select Windows 2000 - then after a pause I get the disk configuration
    > error message. Going back to the old disk restores operation of Windows
    2000.

    > Frank

    How exactly did you copy the old disk to the new disk? You mention
    "software supplied with the drive" (which works independently of
    Windows!), and you also say "I did this . . . by booting to Windows"
    (which implies that you performed the copy process from within
    Windows).

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "frank" <frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to replace a failing disk on a Windows dual boot system and
    > after
    > > copying all of the files and attempting to boot to the new drive I receive
    > > disk configuration error message and Windows 2000 will not boot.
    > >
    > > Details:
    > >
    > > Computer Dell Dimension 4100
    > > Disk 0 - Master - drive C: contains the Windows Me operating system and
    > > assoicated files. This disk is not being replaced.
    > >
    > > Disk 1 - Slave - drive D: containes the Windows 2000 operating system and
    > > associated files. Old drive is 45GB replacement drive is 80GB. I've used
    > > the software supplied with the drive in Windows 2000 to create a new
    > > replacement boot drive. I did this by having both the old and new drives
    > in
    > > the system and booting to Windows 2000. When I remove the old drive and
    > > substitute the new drive in its place, tI receive the boot selection
    > screen
    > > and select Windows 2000 - then after a pause I get the disk configuration
    > > error message. Going back to the old disk restores operation of Windows
    > 2000.
    > >
    > > Frank
    > >

    > How exactly did you copy the old disk to the new disk? You mention
    > "software supplied with the drive" (which works independently of
    > Windows!), and you also say "I did this . . . by booting to Windows"
    > (which implies that you performed the copy process from within
    > Windows).

    The disk drive manufacturer provided a CD-ROM with a Windows and a DOS based
    setup program. I've used both with the same results. With the windows based
    program, I booted to Windows 2000 and installed and ran the program from
    there. It let me select whether this was a boot drive and what the partition
    configuration would be. It then automatically went through a process of
    copying all of the files. When I replaced the old drive with the new drive,
    I got the error I described.

    I also used the DOS version (I think it was called Candelara dr2 or
    something like that). That software also allowed me to select that this was
    a boot drive and it copied all of the files. Results were the same.

    I also tried partitioning the drive as a non-boot drive and copied all of
    the files using this utility with the same results.

    I've reinstalled the old disk with the new one as a secondary slave and
    booted into Windows 2000 properly (the old drive still works) and checked the
    winnt\system32 folders on the copied drive to be sure that the NTOSKRNL.exe
    and hal.dll files were both available and they are.

    The way the failure occurs is that I get the os boot menu and make a
    selection. The screen then goes black for about 30 seconds before the error
    message appears. The error message is:

    "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
    configuration problem.

    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check the boot path and disk
    hardware.

    Check Windows 2000 documentation about hardware disk configuration and your
    hardware reference manuals for additional information."

    Since I can read the system files on the new drive, it appears that the
    drive is working ok and since the old drive sill boots up properly, it seems
    that the boot process that goes to the drive is still working .... so I'm
    completely stumped???

    One other thing ... I've looked at the drives in the disk manager and this
    is what they show:

    Disk 0 Basic 38.16 GB FAT32 Healthy (System)
    Disk 1 Basic 42.09 GB FAT32 Healthy (Boot)
    Disk 2 Basic 74.53 GB FAT32 Healthy (Active)

    I hope I've not been too long winded. Thanks for your help.

> [...]
    >
    > Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check the boot path and disk
    > hardware.
    >
    > Check Windows 2000 documentation about hardware disk configuration and
    your
    > hardware reference manuals for additional information."
    >
    > Since I can read the system files on the new drive, it appears that the
    > drive is working ok and since the old drive sill boots up properly, it
    seems
    > that the boot process that goes to the drive is still working .... so I'm
    > completely stumped???
    >
    > One other thing ... I've looked at the drives in the disk manager and this
    > is what they show:
    >
    > Disk 0 Basic 38.16 GB FAT32 Healthy (System)
    > Disk 1 Basic 42.09 GB FAT32 Healthy (Boot)
    > Disk 2 Basic 74.53 GB FAT32 Healthy (Active)
    >
    > I hope I've not been too long winded. Thanks for your help.

    What you wrote is about the level of detail required to make some
    suggestions.

    Your Win2000 boot files are currently located on drive C:. This
    must also be your primary master disk, as determined by its
    jumpers and by the motherboard socket used for its ribbon cable.

    The hidden file c:\boot.ini should look like so:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(x)partition(y)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(x)partition(y)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect
    c:\="Windows ME"

    I expect values of x=1 and y=1. I now suggest you try this:

    - Launch WinME.
    - Start a DOS prompt.
    - Type these commands:
    attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
    notepad c:\boot.ini
    - Make sure that x=1.
    - Make y=1, 2, 3 between reboots

    If unsuccessful, make x=0 and y=1.

    This won't affect your ability to boot into Windows ME.

    Thanks for your help, I think we are getting to the cause of the problem.

    OK the boot.ini file is as follows:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=signature(88f7d69e)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    signature(88f7d69e)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows
    2000" /fastdetect
    c:\="Microsoft Windows"

    So, it doesn't follow the format that you listed, but uses a signature
    parameter.

    This file does boot successfully to the old drive, so I wonder if the
    signature parameter is somehow specifing that particular drive hardware????

    Is it OK to modify this file to use the format that you provided?

    Thanks again!!!!

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > jumpers and by the motherboard socket used for its ribbon cable.
    >
    > The hidden file c:\boot.ini should look like so:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=0
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(x)partition(y)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(x)partition(y)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    > Professional" /fastdetect
    > c:\="Windows ME"
    >
    > I expect values of x=1 and y=1. I now suggest you try this:
    >
    > - Launch WinME.
    > - Start a DOS prompt.
    > - Type these commands:
    > attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
    > notepad c:\boot.ini
    > - Make sure that x=1.
    > - Make y=1, 2, 3 between reboots
    >
    > If unsuccessful, make x=0 and y=1.
    >
    > This won't affect your ability to boot into Windows ME.

Windows 2000 Dual Boot Windows