Newbie w/ home network question

I am struggling to setup a home network with printer sharing and some file
sharing. My desktop runs XP Home edition sp2 and is connected to a Linksys
wireless router via an ethernet cord. I have run the home network wizard to
set up a network. Printer is set to share and it created a shared file on my
hard drive.

My work laptop has a wireless card built in and it runs W2000 professional.
I have been able to establish a wireless connection to the router and have
full internet and email access. What I can't accomplish is connecting the
laptop to my printer or shared files on my desktop. I have gone to my
network and dial up connections on my laptop, but the wizard options for
establishing a new network don't apply, ie, dial up, infrared or serial port
connections.

I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie home network question

    See if this site helps you any or just go to www.google.com and search for
    "setting up file and print share"
    http://www.youthtech.com/techstuff/networking/fileprintshare.htm

    "David" wrote:

    > I am struggling to setup a home network with printer sharing and some file
    > sharing. My desktop runs XP Home edition sp2 and is connected to a Linksys
    > wireless router via an ethernet cord. I have run the home network wizard to
    > set up a network. Printer is set to share and it created a shared file on my
    > hard drive.
    >
    > My work laptop has a wireless card built in and it runs W2000 professional.
    > I have been able to establish a wireless connection to the router and have
    > full internet and email access. What I can't accomplish is connecting the
    > laptop to my printer or shared files on my desktop. I have gone to my
    > network and dial up connections on my laptop, but the wizard options for
    > establishing a new network don't apply, ie, dial up, infrared or serial port
    > connections.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

    Try posting to microsoft.public.win2000.networking

    > I am struggling to setup a home network with printer sharing and some file
    > sharing. My desktop runs XP Home edition sp2 and is connected to a
    Linksys
    > wireless router via an ethernet cord. I have run the home network wizard
    > set up a network. Printer is set to share and it created a shared file on
    my
    > hard drive.
    >
    > My work laptop has a wireless card built in and it runs W2000
    professional.
    > I have been able to establish a wireless connection to the router and have
    > full internet and email access. What I can't accomplish is connecting the
    > laptop to my printer or shared files on my desktop. I have gone to my
    > network and dial up connections on my laptop, but the wizard options for
    > establishing a new network don't apply, ie, dial up, infrared or serial
    port
    > connections.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Windows