User accounts

I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected to
the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a different
way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my problem.
So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put it
back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely machine
askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
"administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is there
some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
windows 2000 pro O.S.
6 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    You will need to get this info from your network administrator. Since you
    removed it from the domain you also removed the only account that you had to
    log in with. You could try a search on google for lost admin password but
    you could also get yourself into more trouble by hacking into your companies
    computer. You best bet is to contact your admin at work and ask him what the
    local password is for the administrator.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Fons Ronsmans" <FonsRonsmans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected
    > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a
    > different
    > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my
    > problem.
    > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
    > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put
    > it
    > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely
    > machine
    > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
    > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is
    > there
    > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
    > windows 2000 pro O.S.

    That's the bottomline off the problem : I am the company's administrator.
    I'll know the password for user administrator but only on Primary Domain
    controller level. If the computer would try to identify the user on that
    level everything would be fine.
    I'm not a network nor hardware genius. I only keep things running.

    "Scott Harding" wrote:

    > You will need to get this info from your network administrator. Since you
    > removed it from the domain you also removed the only account that you had to
    > log in with. You could try a search on google for lost admin password but
    > you could also get yourself into more trouble by hacking into your companies
    > computer. You best bet is to contact your admin at work and ask him what the
    > local password is for the administrator.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "Fons Ronsmans" <FonsRonsmans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected
    > > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a
    > > different
    > > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my
    > > problem.
    > > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
    > > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put
    > > it
    > > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely
    > > machine
    > > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
    > > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is
    > > there
    > > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
    > > windows 2000 pro O.S.

    Do you agree that the machine must have at least a user known as
    administrator (or can it be admin as well ?). I always use the same password
    for the administrator each time a new machine has to be configered. I will
    try again with both usernames and all the passwords I can think off.

    "Scott Harding" wrote:

    > You will need to get this info from your network administrator. Since you
    > removed it from the domain you also removed the only account that you had to
    > log in with. You could try a search on google for lost admin password but
    > you could also get yourself into more trouble by hacking into your companies
    > computer. You best bet is to contact your admin at work and ask him what the
    > local password is for the administrator.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "Fons Ronsmans" <FonsRonsmans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected
    > > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a
    > > different
    > > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my
    > > problem.
    > > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
    > > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put
    > > it
    > > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely
    > > machine
    > > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
    > > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is
    > > there
    > > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
    > > windows 2000 pro O.S.

    Sorry, didn't know you were the admin. It will have administrator(default)
    but this can be renamed to anything but cannot be removed or disabled. You
    may have to crack the password.

    --

    > Do you agree that the machine must have at least a user known as
    > administrator (or can it be admin as well ?). I always use the same
    > password
    > for the administrator each time a new machine has to be configered. I will
    > try again with both usernames and all the passwords I can think off.
    >
    > "Scott Harding" wrote:
    >
    >> You will need to get this info from your network administrator. Since you
    >> removed it from the domain you also removed the only account that you had
    >> log in with. You could try a search on google for lost admin password but
    >> you could also get yourself into more trouble by hacking into your
    >> companies
    >> computer. You best bet is to contact your admin at work and ask him what
    >> the
    >> local password is for the administrator.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Harding
    >> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >>
    >> "Fons Ronsmans" <FonsRonsmans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get
    >> > connected
    >> > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a
    >> > different
    >> > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my
    >> > problem.
    >> > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making
    >> > it
    >> > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to
    >> > put
    >> > it
    >> > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely
    >> > machine
    >> > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already
    >> > tried
    >> > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is
    >> > there
    >> > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is
    >> > windows 2000 pro O.S.

    I have already truble with this problem. if you got any solution pls forward
    me.
    thanks

    "Fons Ronsmans" wrote:

    > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected to
    > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a different
    > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my problem.
    > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
    > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put it
    > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely machine
    > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
    > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is there
    > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
    > windows 2000 pro O.S.

    Ok Scott,
    Maybe you can help me I am having the same problem but I am the
    administrator and know what my pw is but won't let me log on locally or have
    administrator access. I've been reading for 2 weeks and don't have a clue.
    Your help would be of great value.
    --
    troubledmom

    "Scott Harding" wrote:

    > You will need to get this info from your network administrator. Since you
    > removed it from the domain you also removed the only account that you had to
    > log in with. You could try a search on google for lost admin password but
    > you could also get yourself into more trouble by hacking into your companies
    > computer. You best bet is to contact your admin at work and ask him what the
    > local password is for the administrator.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "Fons Ronsmans" <FonsRonsmans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got a stupid problem. My computer had some trouble to get connected
    > > the LAN. After changing the NIC the problem still occured, but in a
    > > different
    > > way. I already replaced the TCP/IP protocol but that didn't solve my
    > > problem.
    > > So I decided to change the networkidentification by not longer making it
    > > member of my company's domain but standalone. My intentions where to put
    > > it
    > > back afterwords to see if this would clear things. But now the lovely
    > > machine
    > > askes me a userid and pasword and I cannot remember it. I've already tried
    > > "administrator" in several ways. Is there an overrulling userid or is
    > > there
    > > some other tool to find out which users are known by the machine. It is a
    > > windows 2000 pro O.S.

User Accounts Windows