939 opteron 180

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i am upgrading from an 939 athlon 64 3500 to a 939 opteron 180 and i reset the bios and installed the opteron 180 and i am having trouble loading windows, i will get to the desktop and it will restart everytime. i was just wandering if i did something wrong. my specs are gigabyte motherboard GA ultra sli, evga 7900 gt, 4 sticks of 512 corsair ems, raptor 74 hardrive, 200 gig seagate

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
hmm, did you hit anything while putting in the new CPU?

if not Id say theres a chance its a bad CPU and you just messed up your motherboard. Whered you buy this CPU?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
ok if you say so,

on the bsod the error keeps saying "irql not less or equal"

That's a driver crash that usually happens with sound cards. The thing on the screen is a Stack Trace. If you look at the top line after the BugCheck text it will tell you what dll crashed.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i have tried reinstalling the os i finally did get to formatting the harddrive but right after that it crashed, and yes i did reset the cmos. but now all i get is the blue screen of death.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, this may sound crazy, but I have to ask it. By any chance did you accidently disconnect one of the leads to the motherboard or something else when you were changing the cpu and heatsink? If you did, the crashes can be explained there. Like I say, a wild idea.

CompRookie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
You might need to reinstall the Win XP. I’m not an expert on AMD CPU design, but a lot of times when you change the CPU and there is a major difference on the core design, you will have to reinstall the operating system. I experienced the same problem twice when I changed my CPU from a Celeron D to an Athlon 3500 and used to Celeron D to upgrade a Intel P3 866 on another computer.
So even though the Athlon64 and Opteron processor share the same core design, there still may be a big enough change that requires a reinstall.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i have installed the old cpu, and i am currently trying to install the os but the farthest i have gotten is just past the formatting the hardrive and then it crashes, and i keep getting that irql something something on the bsod

sailer

Splendid
i have installed the old cpu, and i am currently trying to install the os but the farthest i have gotten is just past the formatting the hardrive and then it crashes, and i keep getting that irql something something on the bsod

This is starting to sound like something got disconnected when you were putting in the cpu in the first place. Try removing all the cards from their slots, except the video card, of course; i.e. sound card, modem, etc. Then try to format and reinstall windows. If it reinstalls, put the cards back in their slots one at a time. If it crashes out a particular card, you've found the problem.

If it still won't format and boot up properly, you may have lost the motherboard. If things keep going bad, I'd suggest you basically follow Logainofhades advice, except to take the whole machine in to a computer shop for a diagnosis. I had to do that on one of my machines last year and it only cost $35., which I felt was well worth it considering all the frustration I was having trying to fix it myself.