Upgrading my pc, recommendations?

A70M3

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Alright, this will be my first upgrade in over 3 years. Right now I'm running an Athlon XP 2800+, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1GB Geil PC3200 Ram, A7N8X-E Deluxe, 80GB WD HDD, w/ CD Burner and DVD Player. I'm looking to upgrade to a fairly top of the line PC. I do a little bit of gaming (mostly CSS which I can already run at high w/o bloom or HDR) but I would love to be able to play Oblivion on Ultra High. As far as budget is concerned, I would like to spend about $1,000 (no more than $1,200) and upgrade my PSU, mobo, processor, video card, RAM, HDD (120GB is all I really need), and I'd like a DVD burner. I don't plan on overclocking (I'm a little afraid I'll mess something up) but if there's a possibility I can save $100 by overclocking my processor then I may go that route. Any recommendations?

A70M3

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Looks pretty good. I could probably downgrade the HDD to 160GB as I'll never need 250GB.

How would this memory work with that computer. I could save about 40-50 with the rebate if I go that route.

I was also thinking of this dvd burner, it's a bit cheaper and has gotten some decent reviews.

Any buck I can squeeze out of this baby, I'm going to try and do it. Would you suggest the E6300 even if I dont overclock it? I've never overclocked a processor before, I don't want to mess anything up. I may decide to overclock but I'm not sure how the process goes.

Edit: Oh, and I'm thinking of this PSU.

As far as the hard drive goes, it is only about $15 more for an extra 90Gb.
Either one will work.
Just make shure to get a sata drive.

The only diffrence between the ram is the timing.
The ones listed are 4-4-4-12 while those are 5-5-5-12.
It wouldent hurt the performance verry mutch to get those.
It ends up being a $10 diff after rebaits.

The samsung dvd burner is probably better quality, but eide devices are being fazed out for sata.
Again, not to mutch of a diffrence here.
Most new boards will only have a few eide drives supported, though.

The E6300 is still a good performer stock, but it is really easy to overclock.
There is plenty of documentation on how to oc it on this site.
Here is a good place to start.
If you follow the guide, there is little risk.
Even if you only push it to 333fsb, you will be about the same as a E6600!

The link for the PSU is not working, but you really don't want to skimp out on it.
Check the psu fourm stickies for some good recomendations.
Remember that w/o a good amount of power, your system won't do mutch of anything.

Hope this helps out a bit.......

No prob.

Meh....
The PSU looks moderate.
A bit low on the +12V votage.
38A is about the bare minimum for a system of this type.
If you run out of power, it will cause sys problems and you will end up having to rma it.

I am not a really mutch of a PSU guru yet, unfortinatly.
You should probably check that part of the fourm for good recomendations.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Since you don't plan to OC, get the 6400. When not OCing, you don't need anything more than 533 ram, and the Corsair is overkill. Maybe get the 667 ram just in case you get brave and do decide to OC in the future.

There is absolutely no reason to spend that much money on ram if you might OC int he future.

Good choice on the mobo.

Check your local Fry's store if there's one near you. Seen a couple people on here say they got the 7950GT for $200 there.

A70M3

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I don't understand. One person tells me that if I plan to OC, go with the 6400, and another person tells me if I don't plan to OC, go with the 6400. ;)

Anyway, I do plan on OCing most likely. I've changed my mind recently after reading the C2D OCing guide. I think I'm capable enough to OC. I'm not entirely a computer newb, so I think it would benefit me to do so. Also, EnforcerFX, it's funny you posted that, because I actually have been debating on both of those components. Every person I have talked to told me to go with the ATI card, so I'll likely do so. It's cheaper and it's better for what I plan on doing. As far as the HSF, that's the one I was debating on getting also, so I'm going to look into it.

As for the RAM, I've heard nothing but good things on newegg about overclocking, and the C2D guide recommends that's the RAM I get with a 6300/6400. Anyone else think I should change the RAM?

Perhaps I should go with this instead?

Oh, also, I was thinking about going with a Modular PSU, perhaps this one? Or maybe this one. What do you guys think?