DOS prompt problems

dlb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005

I'm trying to create a subdirectory on my hard drive (for Quickbooks
accounts) and am instructed to:
"From the DOS prompt C:/
Type CD QBOOKSW"
When I open my Command prompt...the first line is:
C:/Documents and settings/Debby/

Help.
--
dlb

At the prompt type "cd .." then do it again until the prompt is "C:\". Then
you are ready to continue. Notice that there is a space after the "cd" and
then two dots.

"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a subdirectory on my hard drive (for Quickbooks
> accounts) and am instructed to:
> "From the DOS prompt C:/
> Type CD QBOOKSW"
> When I open my Command prompt...the first line is:
> C:/Documents and settings/Debby/
>
> Help.
> --
> dlb

The command CD \QBOOKSW then press the enter key will work. The command
prompt will look like - C:\QBOOKSW>.

It will take you to the root of the default drive (C:) and then take you to
the QBOOKSW directory off the root directory of C:

You could also break down the command into multiple lines.

CD \ then press the enter will give you a command prompt of C:\>
CD QBOOKSW t hen press the enter will give you a command prompt of
C:\QBOOKSW>

For any DOS command you can always type the command then a space and /? and
then press enter to get help for the command.

"dlb" <dlb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a subdirectory on my hard drive (for Quickbooks
> accounts) and am instructed to:
> "From the DOS prompt C:/
> Type CD QBOOKSW"
> When I open my Command prompt...the first line is:
> C:/Documents and settings/Debby/
>
> Help.
> --
> dlb

The command to make a directory in MS DOS is MD ("Make Directory")

CD is for "Change Directory".

While at root directory type below, if not type at root directory, type
"CD.." then press [enter] ).

Then the syntax is:

C:\> MD QBOOKSW [enter]

then C:\> CD QBOOKSW will take you to

C:\QBOOKSW>

The OP asked how to create a subdirectory not how to change to a
subdirectory.