SYstem Restarting

Hi
I'm facing problem “"The system process c:\WINNT\System32\Services.exe"
terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will now shutdown
and restart.�problem when i start the computer.I 've tried checking for shres
entries in registry and run all virus scanners nothing unusual but still
error is coming can somebody pl suggest on removing this error..

Rajnish fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBN/tip6500/rh6520.htm

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Hi
GOne thru this article and on exploring registry found no values other than
default.Shall i delete that also...

Regards
Rajnish

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> Rajnish fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>
> > Hi
> > I'm facing problem ""The system process
> > c:\WINNT\System32\Services.exe" terminated unexpectedly with status
> > code 128. The system will now shutdown and restart."problem when i
> > start the computer.I 've tried checking for shres entries in registry
> > and run all virus scanners nothing unusual but still error is coming
> > can somebody pl suggest on removing this error..
>
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBN/tip6500/rh6520.htm
>
> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

We had a machine get hopelessly corrupted with the "W32MyToB" virus and
I beat my head against the wall trying to find a solution to this one.
A colleague pointed out that it may be a startup item and suggested
using msconfig from Windows XP Pro on the Win2k workstation.

Note: This works if you can get into safe mode. (I am not sure how to
fix this if you cannot it is FUBAR and it may require a back up and
full reinstall)

Here is how I fixed this on a Win2k Pro Workstation using msconfig as a
troubleshooting tool:

1. Boot into safe mode and copy msconfig to the affected workstation
2. Run msconfig
3. Check on the box for selective startup
4. Uncheck all boxes under the selective startup box
5. Reboot
6. The machine "should" let you log in booting normally
7. Re-Run msconfig and Re-check the boxes one by one and keep rebooting
until you find the set of *.ini files that are causing the issue
8. Keep repeating steps 5 through 7 until you get the error
9. If you get the error you will have to reboot in safe mode
10. Make note of which box you last checked and then under its tab
check on the boxes one by one until you get the error.
11. If you can uninstall the program associated with the process or
file or contact the software vendor on how to remove it

In my case it was the Symantec Service that was causing the machine to
keep rebooting it was not fully uninstalled and the virus had
hopelessly corrupted the anti-virus program and its uninstaller "OUCH"

Hope this helps.

Dan