OCZ 700w ps, good enough for 8800 GTX SLI???

Hi All,
Just wondering if the OCZ 700w Gamer XStream power supply is good enough to power a 8800 GTX setup in SLI.

System setup:
C2D E6600 w/zalman cooler
EVGA 680i mobo
1 SATA 3gb HD
maybe 8800 GTX in SLI
2gig of DDR2
1 CD/DVD RW drive

I think thats about it.

I have heard people are running the 8800GTX in SLI on this power supply. Do you think I could get some good overclocking with this power supply?

Thanks
Eddie
14 answers Last reply
More about 700w good 8800
  1. it should work fine.

not sure if you oc the cpu and gpu,s. though.

but it would probably still work anyway.
  2. Yeah, that power supply would work, but how much is that system? about $2500-$3000? With that kind of budget you should be able to get an Enermax Galaxy, there among the best quality psu's that you could get. The 850w version is $320 and the 1000w version(s) go for $350-$370 on newegg.
  3. Quote:
    Yeah, that power supply would work, but how much is that system? about $2500-$3000? With that kind of budget you should be able to get an Enermax Galaxy, there among the best quality psu's that you could get. The 850w version is $320 and the 1000w version(s) go for $350-$370 on newegg.

i have an antec tp2.0 that pushes or use to push sli.
    i split the gpus up to make 2 comp,s.
    not that much gain at 10x7 gaming in sli but a lot of heat 8O

the other comp that i built is an antec sonataII with the smartpower
    i was supprised to read the psu is dual 12v rails.
    i thought it was single.
  4. Quote:
    Yeah, that power supply would work, but how much is that system? about $2500-$3000? With that kind of budget you should be able to get an Enermax Galaxy, there among the best quality psu's that you could get. The 850w version is $320 and the 1000w version(s) go for $350-$370 on newegg.

Hi Apt403,
    I already have the power supply, I dont plan on SLI right off the bat but I was wondering if the power supply would be good enough a few months down the road if i decide to pick up another card.
  5. Quote:
    Yeah, that power supply would work,

Quote:
    it should work fine.

try this.
  6. Quote:
    Hi All,
    System setup:
    EVGA 680i mobo
    1 SATA 3gb HD
    maybe 8800 GTX in SLI
    2gig of DDR2
    1 CD/DVD RW drive
    Eddie

3GB is pretty low for a hard drive ;-)
  7. Quote:
    Hi All,
    System setup:
    EVGA 680i mobo
    1 SATA 3gb HD
    maybe 8800 GTX in SLI
    2gig of DDR2
    1 CD/DVD RW drive
    Eddie

Gotta save money and skimp somewhere!! :)
  8. Quote:
    Hi All,
    System setup:
    EVGA 680i mobo
    1 SATA 3gb HD
    maybe 8800 GTX in SLI
    2gig of DDR2
    1 CD/DVD RW drive
    Eddie

Gotta save money and skimp somewhere!! :)

yeah but thats skimpin a little too much :P
  9. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

verry good psu calculator. :trophy:
  10. Quote:
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if the OCZ 700w Gamer XStream power supply is good enough to power a 8800 GTX setup in SLI.

System setup:
    EVGA 680i mobo
    1 SATA 3gb HD
    maybe 8800 GTX in SLI
    2gig of DDR2
    1 CD/DVD RW drive

I think thats about it.

I have heard people are running the 8800GTX in SLI on this power supply. Do you think I could get some good overclocking with this power supply?

Thanks
    Eddie

Might work, but as others stated might be iffy with overclocking, when im building computers for myself I usually like to leave room in power for future upgrades / overclocking / etc, what I do is find the wattage i need, and maybe add 100 watts to it.
  11. Quote:
    1 SATA 3gb HD

LOL what?! I didnt even know you could find a 3Gb hard drive (unless it is iRAM but you said sata so...)

Please tell me that's a type-o or you're gonna be running DOS or something :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  12. I can tell you first hand that a 700W OCZ will be able to power 2x 8800gtx sli, but just barely. No OC, No extra cooling, no extra drives. Mine started to squeel like a pig and shut down shortly after I started OC-ing my CPU.

I highly recommend the 250W TT PowerExpress. It's, cheap, quiet, super easy to set up, and saves you from spending $200+ on a new PSU. Better yet, you won't need to worry about overloading. I've been powering 1 of my 8800 gtx's with it for the past 2 months.

Seriously, you're spending all that money on GPU's - don't risk your system on an underpowered PSU.

Edit: link for the lazy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037
  13. Quote:
    1 SATA 3gb HD

LOL what?! I didnt even know you could find a 3Gb hard drive (unless it is iRAM but you said sata so...)

Please tell me that's a type-o or you're gonna be running DOS or something :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA_3Gb/s :?:
  14. 3gb is the bandwidth of sata the raptors are sata150
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx SLI Components Product